U.S. men's soccer will miss a third successive Olympic tournament.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

United States men's coach Jason Kreis admitted his squad is "devastated" not to be going to the Olympics after losing 2-1 to Honduras in CONCACAF qualifying in Guadalajara, Mexico, on Sunday.

Los Catrachos punched their ticket to Tokyo via goals from Juan Carlos Obregon and Luis Palma, ensuring the U.S. men will miss a third successive Olympic tournament.

"Obviously, we're devastated, absolutely devastated," Kreis said after the match. "In our locker room, the guys are like it's a tragedy -- a tragedy.

"We lose an opportunity to play in an international tournament with more pressure, where these players have to be in these environments and continue to improve with that pressure."

"I don't know that if I've ever seen a game where we've had players miscontrol the ball so much by going under people's feet, passing out of bounds," Kreis added.

"These are things that are just really -- you just really kind of scratch your head, you think of, 'What's going on here?' But I also have been around the game enough in our country at a pro level to tell you this is what you see in preseasons and at the beginning of MLS seasons, it's typical."

Go USA!!

Soccer should not be in the Olympics. They already have the World Cup, which is the most important.

The Olympics should be the event for your sport. Same thing with golf, tennis, and some others.

Boy, this does not look like some of the US Men's national teams of old. No Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Tim Howard, etc.

Felt like the US ran the JV out there. Some of the better younger American players were not on this squad because they're playing with international teams.

and there was a lot of sloppy play, poor passing, and the Goalkeeper had some mind-numbingly dumb moments.

I get that the World Cup is more 'important' than the Olympics, but the Olympics are still a big stage and it doesn't help the US to be missing out.

Top Bottom