U running back recruit could be a Canadian diamond in the rough

year of the gopher

Section 117, Row 4
Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/290611151.html?page=1&c=y

A few weeks after committing to the Gophers last summer, Canadian running back Jonathan Femi-Cole added a lasting memory to one of his typical eight-hour daily workouts.

With a video camera rolling, he stepped inside a weightlifting device known as a trap bar, with six 45-pound plates pressed to each side, and attempted a 615-pound “dead lift.”

“I had done a lot of big lifts before,” Femi-Cole said. “This was my last lift last August before leaving for training camp, so I just wanted to push it over the top.”

The YouTube video has been a big hit for Gophers fans. It shows the 6-foot, 220-pound Femi-Cole, shirtless and chiseled, calmly exhaling before somehow hoisting those 615 pounds — think large vending machine, or a fully grown elk — from his toes to his waist.

Femi-Cole delivered plenty of on-field highlights, too, as he rushed for 1,615 yards and 12 touchdowns in eight games as a senior last fall at St. Andrew’s College, a prep school in Aurora, Ontario.

He’s one of three intriguing running backs committed to the Gophers heading into national signing day Wednesday, joining Shannon Brooks (from Jasper, Ga.) and James Johannesson (Fargo, N.D.). All three could battle for carries this fall, along with 2014 recruits Jeff Jones and Rodney Smith, as the Gophers look to replace workhorse tailback David Cobb.

Holy crap! Did someone hijack the Strib website and publish this article without the sports editor's knowledge?! I can't believe an article like this was given the green light. :eek:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Holy **** that dude is a beast. Love the potential of our backfield over the next few years.

This kid gets it. He is dead lifting 615, in shape and ready to go. Compare that to a young man who committed to TSOU and could get his conditioning done. It was too cold. Which player would you rather have?

This kid gets it. He is dead lifting 615, in shape and ready to go. Compare that to a young man who committed to TSOU and could get his conditioning done. It was too cold. Which player would you rather have?

+1. Especially love this quote:

“I don’t want to sound cocky, but my whole intention is to go in there and work hard and earn that starting position,” he said. “But I realize it’s not going to be a walk in the park.

“There’s a lot of other talented running backs coming in, and other talented running backs already there.”

1600 yards on over 300 carries is not exactly killing it in a Toronto high school league.

1600 yards on over 300 carries is not exactly killing it in a Toronto high school league.

This is what I hear when I read that:

When I watched the deadlift video I was trying to think back to what I looked like during my senior year of high school or even what some of the football stars looked like. Yikes. Worlds apart.

Yeah he wasn't very good so I'm sure they didn't key on him at all and stack the box. Crappy numbers.....

haha you are knocking a high school RBs stats becuase you feel what is wrong with them??? Should he have gotten 1616 yards instead of 1615? Maybe the same yardage but on only 3 carries to really be 'killing it'? No one's high school stats matter when you are in college and this young man has a chance to play college football at the U, while hopefully helping the team be better.

BTW he had 1600 yards in 8 games. That is impressive!

Another reason I'm not optimistic about Berkley Edwards' future here (production wise). These new guys along with Jeff Jones, Rodney Smith and Rodrick Williams. Please prove me wrong Berkley!

Unrelated to my excitement about him or his potential:

Does his form look ok? Wow... I've seen a few deadlifting videos on YouTube (therefor I am an expert), and his back looks like it's going to explode with roundiness.

Guys who have coached, help me out. I went to HS with a guy who played (a little) for the Gophers in the 1970's. I honestly think that he liked lifting more than playing football. Is this something that the coaches watch for? To play at this level (because of the commitment that this takes) they have to love the game.

Another reason I'm not optimistic about Berkley Edwards' future here (production wise). These new guys along with Jeff Jones, Rodney Smith and Rodrick Williams. Please prove me wrong Berkley!

I hope that this is not the case but from a fan's perspective, it appears that the idea of Berkley being our leader in carries probably will not happen without injuries. BUT I also assume that the "Jet Sweeper" role is currently a nich role for him though KJ Maye will likely get all of those snaps until he graduates leaving Berkely to be that person on offense in two years until he graduates.

Just a guess however

I think those are David Cobb's stats from last year that were mentioned in the article. Femi Cole had 1600 yds as well but in 8 games, and the number of carries aren't mentioned.

Holy hell!!! That fella is jacked. Definitely a diamond in the rough.

300 carries, 1615 yards, 12 TD, 8 games. First he averaged 5.33 per rush. 1.5 TD per game, 201.875 yards per game, and he averaged over 37 carries per game. These are the stats of player, and a team that pounds the rock.

There is no way he carried the ball 300 times in 8 games.

FWIW, he was MVP of an American all-star game (and a decent calibre game at that it appears):

http://www.sac.on.ca/news/detail.as...8&ModuleID=44&TeamID=1326,1327,1326&NEWSPID=1

In other god news, St. Andrews College is a top private school in Canada, so I imagine there will be no academic worries. That said, I think he will come in a little raw football-wise so might be worthy of a redshirt. Given his size and strength, I could see a move to LB in his future if the staff determines that is where he will be the best fit.

Canadians on football team > Canadians on men's hockey team.

When I watched the deadlift video I was trying to think back to what I looked like during my senior year of high school or even what some of the football stars looked like. Yikes. Worlds apart.
Holy hell!!! That fella is jacked. Definitely a diamond in the rough.

That video was uploaded August 5th, 2013, about a month before his junior year. He can dead lift way more than that now. I'd estimate maybe something like 750 or so.

http://www.ovflontario.com/playerView.php?mid=22284

Not so sure your numbers are accurate. I believe he averaged 10+ ypc.

Those are his stats from his old school (2011 I believe). He switched to his current school in 2012. Amazing lack of coverage for his current league. I think it is because it is all private schools for Canada's rich and their desire to build good gentlemen. Take a look at the coaches write-up after losing in the semi-finals (it screams good breeding and stiff upper lip)

http://www.sac.on.ca/news/detail.as...5&ModuleID=44&TeamID=1326,1327,1326&NEWSPID=1

Beyond this recruit, that coach and JK need to stay in touch frequently because any recruit with talent that absorbs this coach's mentality will be the type of recruit this staff is looking to land.

Top Bottom