U of M name change

GoBigGold

Reaction score
U of M should just drop the 'Twin Cities' from the name.

Flagship state university should go by 'University of Minnesota'

My guess is the U of M will do this when UW-Madison decides to drop the Madison behind their name.....for once let's get the jump on a Big Ten school trend.

I don't think that the other campuses will be willing to go along with the proposed name change. After all, why would UMD with their successful sports program (Division II National Football Championship, WCHA Final Four Hockey Team) want to be any more closely associated with the Twin Cities campus than absolutely necessary?

In Wisconsin the smaller schools sued or threated to unless UW-Madison kept Madison in the name. Basically it was an equality issue. UW-Milwaukee actually wants to be referred to as just Milwaukee by national publications now thought.

U of M should just drop the 'Twin Cities' from the name.

Flagship state university should go by 'University of Minnesota'

My guess is the U of M will do this when UW-Madison decides to drop the Madison behind their name.....for once let's get the jump on a Big Ten school trend.

They do just go by the University of Minnesota. At a micro-level, all flagship state universities within a system are named descriptively by their location. See, e.g., University of California- Berkeley and University of Texas- Austin and Univesrsity of Alabama- Tuscaloosa. This is not ever going to go away.

Does anybody actually call it U of M-Twin Cities?

I didn't think anyone really cared about the "TC". The only people who use it is UMD when we play there in hockey, so practically nobody.

i just call it minnnesota. like california or michigan or wisconisn, i drop the "university of" for most large state universities.

Not sure about Minnesota schools, but for the Wisconsin schools the rule(adding the city) generally just applies to publications about the Universities. Basically it really only applies to UW-Madison.

i prefer "the U" and if people dont know what i am talking about i dont care.

Which school has, in fact, been going by 'the U' the longest?

Whereas, The University of Miami was founded in 1925

and Whereas, the Minnesota Rouser that mentioned the U of M was written in 1909

and Whereas, newspapers have used "U" in headlines for the U of M since who knows when (probably before 1925)

Be it resolved, The University of Minnesota is the U, and no one else.

It is here by declared the U, and all others are imitations. Most importantly, The University of Miami, as it is now called, stole it from us.

Pretty much a non-issue with me. The only people that refer to the U as UMTC are UMD, to help them feel more equal. They are the same clowns that refer to themselves as "tUMD". :rolleyes:

A non-issue........until the big sign attached to the TCF stadium says 'University of Minnesota - Twin Cities.'

Originally Posted by grunkiejr
Does anybody actually call it U of M-Twin Cities?

I think only when the Gophers play @ UMD in hockey.

Actually, people close to UMD hockey in Duluth don't refer to it as the U of M - Twin Cities. They call it the Southern Branch.

Actually, people close to UMD hockey in Duluth don't refer to it as the U of M - Twin Cities. They call it the Southern Branch.

Are you serious? If so, that's the funniest thing I've heard all day.

What a bunch of delusional Philistines.

It really only works when the Bulldogs are still in the playoffs and the Gophers are out. It hasn't happened too much in the last 40 years. However, it does happen every so often - like this year.

The most ridiculous name change in the state

is MSU-Mankato. It will always be Mankato State.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting, but not true

is MSU-Mankato. It will always be Mankato State.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minnesota State - Mankato spent most of its years of existance as Mankato Teachers College. One of its most famous alums is Sybil.... Or is that Sybils....

Top Bottom