U of M Alumni in Arizona - meeting unabashed football booster Joan Gabel

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
We were honored to attend the Alumni Association reception in Phoenix last night. The alumni were introduced to the new President, Joan T. A. Gabel. Aside from the usual platitudes, I must say I was impressed by her unabashed support for the football program and the sports program in general. She described football as the "gateway" to the University. She said that she has had so many people that walk up to her and say "I can't believe you guys beat Auburn! What a great team you have!" Gabel said it is often followed by "I didn't know you guys were so prominent in anti-rejection drugs," or something directly coming from ads during the games. Coming from an SEC school, she said that she knows that football gets you noticed. The average fan is not an alumni. Sports are how the majority of people connect to a school. As of this spring, the University system will have 600,000 alumni all-time.

She's the real deal.

Also enjoyed John and Nancy Lindahl's introduction of Gabel. Nancy mentioned the football team and the victory over Auburn not once, not twice, not three times, but four times in a five minute presentation. Yes, that's the same John and Nancy Lindahl that paid for that gate that you walk through on Saturday. Her father was a prof at the U and she's been going to games for 70 years.

Finally, we had a 20 minute conversation with Regent Steve Swiggum and his wife. Swiggum was one of the huge driving forces in getting TCF Bank Stadium through the legislature and to the Governor's pen. An honor to meet him.

A great night put on by the Alumni Association.

Last edited:

I watched her and Coyle during the Outback bowl and they were both pumped. When the game ended they both ran to hug PJF. To have consistent athletic success the U needs the President and AD to be very supportive and I am thrilled we have these key pieces in place.

Did you ask her about Pitino?
I know you couldn't resist...it's a t-ball shot...but no doubt that B-ball performance or lack thereof is a topic of concern starting with the AD and second with the President.

Agree with #2G...we should be celebrating the football positive in front of us and recognize that there are other areas to come.

President Gabel represents major progress.

I know you couldn't resist...it's a t-ball shot...but no doubt that B-ball performance or lack thereof is a topic of concern starting with the AD and second with the President.

Agree with #2G...we should be celebrating the football positive in front of us and recognize that there are other areas to come.

In the past 15 years the U's administration has spent more than $500 million on athletic facilities. The current prez or AD are huge benefactors.

Last edited:

This is from a thread I posted earlier today:

The university administration lacked the commitment needed for successful athletic programs, according to some athletic administrators and coaches. Boston said that during his tenure as AD, several athletes told him they couldn't wear their letter jackets to class because professors were so negative toward athletics.
"Anyone who says we lost because of the building ... I would be 180 degrees diametrically opposed to that opinion," said Twin Cities businessman and university booster Harvey Mackay, a prominent Dome supporter. "If you look at every business that fails in the United States, both big and small, you'll find poor management, No. 1, and lack of money, No. 2. It's no different at Minnesota. When you have good coaching staffs and management [at the university president level], you succeed."

Thank you President Gable and Athletic Director Coyle. You guys got the message!!!

Finally, we have people at the top that get it. Football in particular, is integral to the identity and the image of the university to alumni, friends of the U, prospective students, benefactors, and world class academic talent who go where research endowments are.

Look around at elite P5 institutions. They have huge endowments and and donations from alumni and other benefactors. A lot of it had to do with the success of their football programs.

For some strange reason, Minnesota became pompous after the last national championship. IMHO, the prestige of the university was impacted by the downward spiral of Gopher Football.

It is the U's time to rise again.

Last edited:

Did you ask her about Pitino?
Thought about it. I thought one of the very old attendees might do the job. Gabel did say in regard to the athletic program that “the fun is sometimes tempered by the ‘not so fun’”. Read anything into that you want. ?

Thought about it. I thought one of the very old attendees might do the job. Gabel did say in regard to the athletic program that “the fun is sometimes tempered by the ‘not so fun’”. Read anything into that you want. ?

Maybe the perpetual mediocrity of the basketball program. Or maybe the 18 people in attendance at Mariucci for the ND playoff series. Or both.

Yeah I was just joking. I may actually be one of the few people here that doesn't think Pitino necessarily should be fired.

Kaler and the BOR were committed to football and put the money up to hire PJ so they should get credit for that. Gabel seems to be just as much of a football supporter, if not more. Definitely worth enjoying this change in u of m upper admin over the last 10 years.

Yudof was a home run and Kaler was darn good but how do we know anything about Gabel.
Bingo especially on Yudof. Like him, Gabel's history is one at institutions where athletics, particularly football, is considered a key element of the school's identity. This much we do know.

Agree also with PMW-STP that it's much easier to sit down to a meal on the table...$500 million in investments...than having to prepare it first. Still, there was the chance we'd get a new prez that said "I don't like this food" and is vegan to boot. Yuck and a major setback.

Luckily, it looks like we'll even get the dessert if patient. But first, please pass the hotdish...

Progress.

Luckily, it looks like we'll even get the dessert if patient. But first, please pass the hotdish...

Progress.
Oh, yah.

On a side note, they served 2 kinds of Swedish meatballs. One regular, one “impossible,” i.e. vegan. The latter tasted like shiite.

They are killing you more in trying to make _ _ _ _ taste like beef.

All the additives must be worst for you than if you just give yourself a holiday and eat real beef. No worries until the next checkup! ;)

Top Bottom