Tyler Nubin drafted to the Giants with the #47 pick

Awesome. Depending on how one classifies DeJean, Nubin is the first "pure" safety off the board.

"The Athletic" likes this:

"Maybe the most underrated player in the draft, Nubin was both a solid coverage safety and a tremendous tackler at Minnesota. He will step in immediately for Xavier McKinney and thrive. With 43 starts at Minnesota, Nubin was experienced and highly respected. He finished his career with a school-record 13 interceptions and 24 passes defended, as well as 207 tackles. He’s a Day 1 starter."

Grade: A

The Vikings drafted Gladney in front of Winfield. I know Gladney is more of a corner than a safety but man I would rather have Winfield playing defense for my team. He is so good. Hope Nubin can do the same for the giants

Mel Kiper doesn’t like the Nubin pick. Had him as his 4th safety. Likely hated the Winfield pick too.
When the Iowa guy got drafted he was bitching about the 'penalty' that shouldn't have been called and should have beat the Gophers. This talking head seems to have a beef with Minnesota

Tyler bringing PJ's values to NYC which greatly needs them. Can't wait for Fall to see change & improvement. I believe we will see the best of Gopher football come November. Then winning another consecutive bowl game in January. "Can't wait for Eight"

Mel Kiper doesn’t like the Nubin pick. Had him as his 4th safety. Likely hated the Winfield pick too.
I never take Mel Kiper seriously. I still remembered him saying Jonny Football is the best QB in the 2014 nfl draft and is a superstar. 🤣🤣🤣

That's 10 Minnesota DBs drafted since 2014
  • 2014 - Brock Vereen, R4, Chicago Bears
  • 2015 - Cedric Thompson, R5, Miami Dolphins
  • 2016 - Eric Murray, R4, Kansas City Chiefs
  • 2017 - Jalen Myrick, R7, Jacksonville Jaguars
  • 2020 - Antoine Winfield Jr., R2, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • 2020 - Chris Williamson, R7, New York Giants
  • 2021 - Benjamin St. Juste, R3, Washington Commanders
  • 2023 - Jordan Howden, R5, New Orleans Saints
  • 2023 - Terrell Smith, R5, Chicago Bears
  • 2024 - Tyler Nubin, R2, New York Giants
Honestly it should be 11, too, because Boddy-Calhoun should've been drafted.

Last edited:

Teams that have drafted Gophers who played for Fleck seem to continue going the well. Tampa Bay, Baltimore, and NYG have all drafted at least two since 2020. Tampa and the Giants in particular seem to love the Gophers.

Top Bottom