Tyler Mason: I don't think that this year's offense will be worse than last year's.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Mason's FSN Q&A:

Q: Since it seems like Minnesota still can't pass down field, the receivers are weak, the rushing offense is good and Mitch Leidner looks like he can run a little bit, do you see them trying some option plays? It could make them a little more dangerous and keep defenses off balance, right? Thanks. -- Tim, Bloomington, Minn.

Q: I think it's possible that our offense may be even worse than last year (unless Leidner's passing improves drastically). Nearly eliminating the read option to preserve Leidner's health might take away what little pop we had to begin with. Would it be worth the risk to Leidner to run more of the read option? -- Nathan, Moorhead, Minn.

A: Two similar questions here, so I'll tackle them together. The Gophers did run some read option last year, but what did it really get them? Minnesota was the second-lowest scoring team in the Big Ten in 2013, and had the worst passing offense in the conference. This isn't an offense that will run many (or any) traditional option plays like you see some other schools run. The read option isn't really the same as an option, as the former allows the quarterback the option to run or pass, while the latter gives him the option to run or lateral to a back. We haven't seen that with Kill's teams, and I don't foresee that we will.

I don't think that this year's offense will be worse than last year's. I believe that the Gophers have more playmakers on offense in 204, including the previously discussed Edwards. Minnesota's wide receivers should be improved this year, too. Drew Wolitarsky -- who missed Thursday's game with an injury -- and Donovahn Jones both played as true freshmen last year and should give Leidner options in the passing game.

Minnesota is trying to limit the amount that Leidner takes off and runs this year, in part to keep him healthy, though the coaches admitted Tuesday that it "isn't in his DNA" to avoid contact, as offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover said. Leidner can still be an asset with his legs on occasion, as he was on his two touchdown runs, but he'll be relied on more as a passer than a runner. The Gophers saw previous quarterbacks get banged up running the read option, and they can't afford that with Leidner.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/tyler-mason-s-sept-3-gophers-mailbag-090314

Go Gophers!!

Are you saying GH experts don't know that one game tells it all?

dr. don, you do realize that this has nothing to do with gh or the people that post on gh, correct? gophersiniowa was referring to the people asking questions to fsn north. do you even read posts or just chide people?

dr. don, you do realize that this has nothing to do with gh or the people that post on gh, correct? gophersiniowa was referring to the people asking questions to fsn north. do you even read posts or just chide people?

Yep.

how dare you ask that. ;)

Top Bottom