TwinCities.com on Game and Bulletin Board Material

Iceland12

Reaction score
Before the Gophers stepped foot on the turf for their pregame stroll, they had already felt slighted. Leidner said he thought he heard Indiana State coach Mike Sanford say Minnesota was like “an upper level D one double-A team.”

So, that made two strikes and “we all kind of took that to heart, and we really wanted to come out there and show them what Big Ten football was all about,” Leidner said.

Leidner finished 20 for 30 for 295 yards and a career-high-tying four touchdowns. At least four of his passes were dropped.

Sycamores coach Sanford doesn’t have a reputation as a provocateur, so did he really say that publicly?
“I think it was a radio interview,” Leidner said.

With Gophers station KFXN-FM, Sanford said before the game it was an “honor” to play a Big Ten team and it was “great” for his program.

Afterward, Sanford said, “We believed we were going to win the game, and we expected to win. I can’t get up in the morning if I don’t believe that.

He later added, “I thought and do want to give a lot of credit to the Minnesota Golden Gophers.”
So, who passed along that radio interview story?

“Not really sure, but it just did,” said Drew Wolitarsky, who had a career high 125 receiving yards on eight catches and two touchdowns.

“Self-created maybe,” Wolitarsky added. He and Leidner gave a slight chuckle.

Whether the basis of their angst was fact or fiction, the Gophers buried a non-conference foe unlike in 2015, when all three wins (Colorado State, Ohio and Kent State) were by three points...

http://www.twincities.com/2016/09/10/gophers-blowout-indiana-state-58-28/

Top Bottom