Tunnel Team!

Fuzzy Rumpton

Reaction score
The Goal Line Club and the University of Minnesota are pleased to announce the introduction of another exciting game-day experience, the Golden Gophers Tunnel Team.

For every home game during the 2011 season, Golden Gopher fans will have the opportunity to line the tunnel from the locker room to the stadium and cheer on the Maroon and Gold as they take the field at TCF Bank Stadium.

Spots on the Tunnel Team are just $20 and all participants must have a valid game ticket. The Tunnel Team is limited to 200 participants per game.

With the exception of the home opener versus New Mexico State on September 10, 2011, Tunnel Team spots will only be available for purchase the week of each home game. There are no additional advance sales.

Cameras are permitted but coaches and players will not be available to pose for pictures or sign autographs during this time.

Visit GoalLineClub.com for more information about the Tunnel Team for the New Mexico State game and other events taking place throughout the season. Registration for the Tunnel Team is available now!

sounds like a cool idea. we just might have to give it a shot. thanks for the info.

Sounds like a better version of the Victory Walk. That's pretty cool.

I really liked the idea behind it, but $20.00 to help support your team each time? I've already bought season tickets to support the team in addition to other purchases. I need to be educated the rational behind this.

I really liked the idea behind it, but $20.00 to help support your team each time? I've already bought season tickets to support the team in addition to other purchases. I need to be educated the rational behind this.

$20.00 is way too cheap.

It's a steal. But I'm telling you.. I could care less, it's an awesome idea and I would love to partake in.

Fantastic idea! Sounds like a great gift too!

I think it would be an awesome way to create some young lifetime fans too.

Seriously? That is a huge steal. This is a fun and cool opportunity for folks and an easy way for the GLC to raise funds for the program.

I'll definitely be trying to get a hold of these this season.

I think it would be an awesome way to create some young lifetime fans too.

Oh yeah. My wife's cousin, a youngun still in junior high school (I think) started liking the Gophs since he lives and was born in the cities. But his family came from Wisconsin, and his dad is a Packer/Badger fan. He loves the Packers (I tease him alot about that) but likes the Gophers. So as soon as my uncle got season tix prior to me buying some with him, he would occasionally hook me up with 2 of them and I would take my wife's cousin. He really started getting into the games (even at the Dump.. Dome).

Since the opening of TheBank, I've taken him to a game every year (this year will probably take him to a couple). His first TCF Bank Stadium experience was the parachuters that dropped down on midfield during the Illinois game (I think) in '09. It seems every year I take him, he's more and more into the Gophers.

I post that story because it'll be those times that will have cemented his fandom and he'll forever point back to those games and say, 'That's how I became a Gopher fan!' This Tunnel Team is a perfect opportunity for those of you in similar scenarios to bring a kid to the game and help cultivate Gopher football as a mainstay.

Now all we need is Nevin Shapiro to hand out wads of $100 bills in the tunnel to really get this program ROCKIN'!

I think this is a great idea at a fair price. $20 is just enough to allow for some turnover, but also drive a market of people that actually really want to be there. I will totally look into this for my kids. What a fun experience for a young jr. high or elementary ball player.

20 bucks? stupid

It's called fundraising. The GLC pays out tens of thousands of dollars to the football program, and right now has only a couple of sources for income.

There are a couple of membership levels. There's ridiculously low end membership price of $50, and the standard $375 membership that also gets you a ticket to the Friday luncheons. Then there's the golf tournaments. There are also auctions at each event that sell used equipment, autographed items, sideline passes, suites, etc., but that stuff is donated by members for auction purposes.

The GLC is sponsoring, at the request of the football program, the wildly received "Webisodes" by Three Penny Films.

If they can raise $4000 a game for seven games this year, that's $28,000 toward more films, weight room improvements, and anything the program may need...

Tunnel Team

It looks like you have to be a GLC member to participate. That includes the "website" level which is free, but unless I am mistaken I'm assuming that means it would be tough to buy a few of these passes to bring one's kids. Hope I'm wrong, because to me this kind of thing is all about kids.

I think its a great idea, my son will really get a kick out of it.

It looks like you have to be a GLC member to participate. That includes the "website" level which is free, but unless I am mistaken I'm assuming that means it would be tough to buy a few of these passes to bring one's kids. Hope I'm wrong, because to me this kind of thing is all about kids.

I started the purchase process of these (didn't follow through.. yet) and it is no different than buying a shirt or jersey online. As far as I've gotten without actually purchasing it anyway. You get an option to buy up to 10 of these, so you can bring kids along, etc.

Now I really wish I could go to the NMSU game...I'd get in on this before too many people know about it and it becomes harder to do.

I'm honestly intrigued by this idea. Initially I thought 20 bucks would be a little high, but the more I'm thinking about it...I me right there to get some "Go Get 'em" and "Ski U Mah" before they hit the field...that'd be pretty sweet. That might have to be on the menu for this season.

It's a good way to raise funds. This sounds like it has the makings of a tradition. If it was free, people wouldn't value it. Wall Drug has 5 cent coffee. People get a kick out of buying coffee for a nickel. Free coffee, that you can get anywhere. But 5 cent coffee, that's a rarity. If it was free, people would think "maybe I'll do it, maybe I won't, depends on if I get around to it."

I wouldn't pay $20 to do this, but I have no problem with others doing it. I'm guessing those participating will be in the hallway/ramp area with some barrier between them and the players.
A problem for me would be missing the anthem and opening kickoff, as there's not much time between the team entrance and kickoff. I'd have to get to the second deck at the far end of the stadium.
But that's just me. Have at it if you want to.

I don't intend to do this week in and week out. I just think it will make for a fun treat for my kids once per season, or something to look into when I've got guests at the game. I do think it is a great idea and it is priced fairly.

It's called fundraising. The GLC pays out tens of thousands of dollars to the football program, and right now has only a couple of sources for income.

There are a couple of membership levels. There's ridiculously low end membership price of $50, and the standard $375 membership that also gets you a ticket to the Friday luncheons. Then there's the golf tournaments. There are also auctions at each event that sell used equipment, autographed items, sideline passes, suites, etc., but that stuff is donated by members for auction purposes.

The GLC is sponsoring, at the request of the football program, the wildly received "Webisodes" by Three Penny Films.

If they can raise $4000 a game for seven games this year, that's $28,000 toward more films, weight room improvements, and anything the program may need...)

I get it now. Yes it is an excellent tool to raise money. I guess when things are going tough for me right now, I over reacted a bit.

nebraska does this for tunnelwalk but I do not think that they charge, but I could be wrong.

Correct, no charge at Nebraska. Here's a clip from a couple years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XAT_tFRVRc&feature=related

I haven't been inside the tunnel at TCF but I'm guessing they have limited room available for fans? Overall, I like the idea but not sure about the $20 fee.

Nebraska doesn't need the money like we do. And, the majority of their fans are already Husker crazy. Gopher fans? Except for the Gopherhole, not so much.

GLC- Hats off to thee!

Top Bottom