Tulsa turning this into a football game..

DeltaHog

Reaction score
Would not hurt my feelings at all if Boise State lost.

I still enjoy Boise's novelty.

Thanks for the heads up, I turned it off early 3rd quarter.

I'm not so thrilled that Boise is probably going to get a BCS bowl. There should be a requirement that you have to play so many Big 6 teams to qualify.

This win has to drop them out of the top 5.

I realize Tulsa is not a bad team, but how can they go to a big $$ BCS game when their second best victory is a 7 point win over Tulsa.

You realize Iowa has a great shot at a BCS and they barely beat Arkansas St and FBS Northern Iowa at home. I don't understand why people care if Boise plays in the BCS or Cincinnati. Why the offense taken? They've proven they can play in, and win, these types of games right? It's not like they're Hawaii.

You realize Iowa has a great shot at a BCS and they barely beat Arkansas St and FBS Northern Iowa at home. I don't understand why people care if Boise plays in the BCS or Cincinnati. Why the offense taken? They've proven they can play in, and win, these types of games right? It's not like they're Hawaii.

It's not offense, it's just bothersome because Boise will go to a BCS game on a schedule that includes one BCS school, and one victory against a ranked team. In the meantime, teams like PSU are punished for playing a 'cupcake' schedule. We've had to add games like Texas, USC, Cal, etc to avoid looking like we've only played softies, when, in any given year, our conference schedule is markedly more difficult than a team like Boise's entire season.

Personally, it bugs me a little that a team for which Tulsa was considered the last big challenge is going to go to a BCS game, but there isn't a lot Boise can do about who they play right now, and they're doing everything they've been asked to do on the field, so good for them. I'm just glad they won't get a shot at the championship.

I don't like it from both viewpoints... RedPoo is correct that a team like Boise can pump themselves up for one victory against a BCS foe and ride that all the way to a BCS bowl. However, on the other hand, A team like Boise could win every game 100-0 and still not play for a national championship game. This is one of the big reasons the NCAA needs a D1 TOURNAMENT.

I don't like it from both viewpoints... RedPoo is correct that a team like Boise can pump themselves up for one victory against a BCS foe and ride that all the way to a BCS bowl. However, on the other hand, A team like Boise could win every game 100-0 and still not play for a national championship game. This is one of the big reasons the NCAA needs a D1 TOURNAMENT.

God no!!! I really think a tournament would kill college football. It doesn't prove anything (does anyone really think the Cardinals were the best team in the NFC last year?) but it takes so much of the character away from my favorite sport. I love that every game is do-or-die for the best teams. Any kind of tournament kills that. Any tournament gives every single one or two loss Notre Dame team a shot at the title, no matter how undeserving. Any tournament takes whatever luster their is off of every bowl.
I don't want my first time in Pasadena to be for the West Regional Semifinals (at the Rose Bowl). I don't want to have to listen to 'win or go home' while I'm watching that game. I want to see the Grandaddy of them all, a freestanding contest of two teams.

If a team like Boise goes undefeated and wins their bowl, yeah, they probably won't be #1...but they'll be able to claim they are, and that's enough. I don't understand everyone's need to have everything 'proven' to them at the end of the year. (and really, as flawed as the NCAA system is, year in and year out they do a better job of putting the best teams in order than any professional sport we have.)

God no!!! I really think a tournament would kill college football. It doesn't prove anything (does anyone really think the Cardinals were the best team in the NFC last year?) but it takes so much of the character away from my favorite sport. I love that every game is do-or-die for the best teams. Any kind of tournament kills that. Any tournament gives every single one or two loss Notre Dame team a shot at the title, no matter how undeserving. Any tournament takes whatever luster their is off of every bowl.
I don't my first time in Pasadena to be for the West Regional Semifinals (at the Rose Bowl). I don't want to have to listen to 'win or go home' while I'm watching that game. I want to see the Grandaddy of them all, a freestanding contest of two teams.

If a team like Boise goes undefeated and wins their bowl, yeah, they probably won't be #1...but they'll be able to claim they are, and that's enough. I don't understand everyone's need to have everything 'proven' to them at the end of the year. (and really, as flawed as the NCAA system is, year in and year out they do a better job of putting the best teams in order than any professional sport we have.)

Amen.

Of course we could go at this all day but tournaments have worked out pretty well in the other divisions. The problem with the current system is it often becomes a popularity contest - interjected with waaay too much bias. A tournament doesn't kill anything. Given the nature of football at the D1 level, it could only be 4, 8, or at very most 16 teams anyway. Yeah, whoever is ranked number 17 would have a beef but so do the current bubble teams in basketball.

Of course we could go at this all day but tournaments have worked out pretty well in the other divisions. The problem with the current system is it often becomes a popularity contest - interjected with waaay too much bias. A tournament doesn't kill anything. Given the nature of football at the D1 level, it could only be 4, 8, or at very most 16 teams anyway. Yeah, whoever is ranked number 17 would have a beef but so do the current bubble teams in basketball.

Yeah, I think everyone is in agreement that the system is flawed, and that there's some bias. But that doesn't mean a playoff fixes it. Personally, I don't think the 4th, 8th or 16th best teams deserve a shot at the title in college. And as far as the bias goes, I think we're slowly getting better at that (witness the big moves in the polls from week to week early in this season, and the fact that Boise has been highly ranked since their first win).

Would your rather watch a couple 1 or 2 loss teams in a BCS game or Utah/ Boise St. in a David vs Goliath game? The David vs Goliath game is usually the most intreging game of the BCS season.

Would your rather watch a couple 1 or 2 loss teams in a BCS game or Utah/ Boise St. in a David vs Goliath game? The David vs Goliath game is usually the most intreging game of the BCS season.

Yeah that UGA v. Hawaii game two years ago was a blast.

Boise State is going to drop hard- I predict to 9 or 10.

They needed to dominate given that this was their "toughest" test and really the only time since Oregon that most voters will have seen them. The reality is these small conference teams need to dominate to have a shot at the BCS.

Addtionally, people will look at Tulsa's record and see wins against marginal teams and a 45-0 loss to Oklahoma- losing 31-0 at half and 45-0 at the end of the third quarter.

Boise State is going to drop hard- I predict to 9 or 10.

They needed to dominate given that this was their "toughest" test and really the only time since Oregon that most voters will have seen them. The reality is these small conference teams need to dominate to have a shot at the BCS.

Addtionally, people will look at Tulsa's record and see wins against marginal teams and a 45-0 loss to Oklahoma- losing 31-0 at half and 45-0 at the end of the third quarter.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. Tulsa is a marginal team themselves. If Boise wants to be spoken about in the same breath as the big boys, they need to play like the big boys. That means absolutely handing it to middle-of-the-road teams.

Yes, some good football fans will look at those type of numbers. Unfortunately, it seems that many poll voters do not, whether they be sports writers or coaches. Logically, you'd think sports writers would have the most informed voting, but there seems to be a large regional bias.

Yeah that UGA v. Hawaii game two years ago was a blast.

Great response. What about Boise/Oklahoma? Utah/Alabama? BYU/Oklahoma? Generally, those game are a lot better than anyone predicts, so you throw out the one that sucked.

Illinois/USC sucked too. So does the umpteenth matchup between Miami/Florida/Florida State. So does most every game betweent he ACC/Big East (Wake/Louisville? Cincinnati?) Some games are good; some aren't.

Nice generalization, though.

Utah beat 3 Top 25 teams last year.
To compare them to Boise State this year isn't a fair comparison.
They took down #24 Michigan, #11 TCU, and #14 BYU.
I can see them making a BCS game.

Utah beat 3 Top 25 teams last year.
To compare them to Boise State this year isn't a fair comparison.
They took down #24 Michigan, #11 TCU, and #14 BYU.
I can see them making a BCS game.

Not to mention destroying Alabama in a Bowl Game, a team that was #1 most of the season.......

Top Bottom