Justin Cobbs—Not good
Devron Bostick—Horrible
Paul Carter—Peaked at average
Ralph Sampson—Getting better
Corey Joseph—Good offense, horrible defense
Rodney Williams—Who knows?

Bravo Mr. Smith...Bravo

:confused:

I honestly don't think that cobbs, iverson and bostick are D1 level talent. I watch alot of JUCO ball around here and also D2 and D3 games and I see alot better talent than these guys. Im not really trying to rip on anybody im just stating the facts

Royce White—On the streets
Trevor Mbakwe—In street clothes
Colton Iversson—Not a good player
Justin Cobbs—Not good
Devron Bostick—Horrible
Corey Joseph—Good offense, horrible defense

Bravo Mr. Smith...Bravo

Cory (no "e"), isn't on our team yet, but I like your optimism that we will land him. I feel sick to my stomache right now, but Ralph is going to be a very good player in the Big Ten and I strongly believe Rodney will too. Mbakwe and Royce not playing has nothing to do with Tubby, but whether some people want to believe it or not, there's a pretty good chance that BOTH Royce and Mbakwe will play for the Gophers next season. All of the suspensions and the fact that we are struggling to remain a bubble team is extremely frustrating, but the future of the Gophers under Tubby Smith is still very bright. I know some posters will overreact and disagree with that, but it's the truth.

I honestly don't think that cobbs, iverson and bostick are D1 level talent. I watch alot of JUCO ball around here and also D2 and D3 games and I see alot better talent than these guys. Im not really trying to rip on anybody im just stating the facts

You have been spoiled by the likes of Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, etc. It wasn't long ago that freshmen would have to fight for the ability to even see the floor. Thinking Cobb's and Iverson (I know he's not a freshman) aren't D1 talents is nothing short of ridiculous.

I know alot of guys that could have provided us with what bostick, cobbs have provided us with. A lot of bricks, fouls and TO's.

Recruits

Devoe Joseph this season has been horrible all around.

Ralph III is a train wreck... he has a good game now and then(like Penn St) against a team who's center is 6'7...tonight he had a big size advantage and he scrubbed out... Everyon talks about his hoop I.Q. etc... when he gets the ball on the block he continues to pivot and drop step into a double team when he knows the double is coming that is not smart... His passing from the double is terrible. Perfect game tonight for him to step up and..... nothing Sims is 6'8 and just stood didnt even contest his shot and Sampson was a non factor..

I said it earlier IF Mbakwe was on the squad he was would have seen alot of time at the 5...Paul Carter has played some 5...

I honestly hope a bunch of guys transfer. Free up the schlorships so we can basically just start over. Only guys I want for next year that actually played this year are hoff, sampson, rodney, joseph, carter and al. Need to start over basicaly

Royce White—On the streets
Trevor Mbakwe—In street clothes
Colton Iversson—Not a good player
Justin Cobbs—Not good
Devron Bostick—Horrible
Devoe Joseph—Good offense, horrible defense

Bravo Mr. Smith...Bravo

I wish people would breathe a little bit after a horrible performance before ripping on individual players. Devoe, for example, played some surprisingly good defense on Talor Battle just this past weekend. I don't know how you can claim that Paul Carter has peaked, as he might be one of our most inconsistent players (especially offensively). At times, Carter looks much better than average and other times he looks far below it. Colton Iverson is a 7ft true Sophomore who is playing without a great pg to get him the ball in advantageous positions. His play has been disappointing of late, but I don't think it's the right time to declare him not a good player.

Is this a serious statement? I am a Hawkeye fan and I can recognize this to be nothing more than a pure reactionary statement out of disappointment in a team that just isn't capitalizing on their opportunities. Cobbs and Iverson are underclassmen who will improve over time and Bostick is just an average JuCo transfer who struggles to find an identity on a team that goes 10 deep. Living in North Carolina for 12 years and understanding the sentiments of UNC fans, many felt Deon Thompson was overrated, not talented enough etc and he has turned out to be a team leader and was integral in North Carolina's national title run last year. The kids at Mankato, St. Thomas. Augsburg, St. Olaf etc are not to the caliber of these three players. Take a step back for a second and think, please.

Is this a serious statement? I am a Hawkeye fan and I can recognize this to be nothing more than a pure reactionary statement out of disappointment in a team that just isn't capitalizing on their opportunities. Cobbs and Iverson are underclassmen who will improve over time and Bostick is just an average JuCo transfer who struggles to find an identity on a team that goes 10 deep. Living in North Carolina for 12 years and understanding the sentiments of UNC fans, many felt Deon Thompson was overrated, not talented enough etc and he has turned out to be a team leader and was integral in North Carolina's national title run last year. The kids at Mankato, St. Thomas. Augsburg, St. Olaf etc are not to the caliber of these three players. Take a step back for a second and think, please.

+1

Thank you.

There is a time to be optimistic after a loss and there is also a time to basically say WTF is going on this season. This is the latter. I don't blame anybody for ripping this team right now...I am usually pretty optimistic about this team...

Ive seen better talent on the minneapolis JUCO team than cobbs and bostick. that is not a joke. They have some pretty good players..

There is a time to be optimistic after a loss and there is also a time to basically say WTF is going on this season. This is the latter. I don't blame anybody for ripping this team right now...I am usually pretty optimistic about this team...

I have no real issue with this statement but the argument you made regarding about those three players is simply false. MIAC basketball is a glorified high school basketball league with a few players that may excel if placed in D2 but there is not feasible argument to be made that Cobbs, Iverson and Bostick are on the same level as these players. As an Iowa fan, I struggle with the decision making by Lickliter and his recruiting choices but it is quite clear that these gentlemen are D-1 caliber (they are far from great clearly). Thoughtful analysis is why I enjoy reading GopherHole and your statement was far from thoughtful.

Rodney definitely needs more playing time.

I would like to see Rodney get more minutes, but he has to quit standing around on offense. He is just not moving at all. The guy guarding him was hardly paying any attention to him. The back door was there for him. the crowd was begging him to go to the basket. He just stood there on the weak side in 3 point territory.

I am so glad BGF doesn't run any type of college sports team. After 2 years he expects them to be as good as Lebron James

I will say it again, Tubby better start checking players attitudes before giving them playing time. Sometimes I wonder if we even have a coach.

The game tonight for example. When Tubby pulled Westbrook after a mistake on the court, Westbrook has a temper tantrum on the bench, Joseph is screaming at Tubby and Saul when Saul jumped up on the apron of the court and starting pointing something out to Joseph, Bostick throwing his towel on the ground by the bench when he was pulled. Who is in charge and who is letting these players get away with anything they want? Tubby isn't able to control his players on the court how can we expect him to control the players off the court. Maybe Tubby should work on the attitudes of players on the team instead of quitters who are no longer even enrolled at school. Why does Tubby allow Nolan to be on the bench with the team when Nolan let the team down by not doing his required work? Who is running the team?

Maturi and Tubby both dropped the ball on White and Bostick. When they were convicted of misdemeanors they should have been given the boot. Especially when they were given one break and they both abused it.

Trevor is different, as he hasn't been convicted of anything. However I'm begging to wonder as the prosecutor is still going forward on the case. Maybe it's some sort of a conspiracy with the UM PD, like White's case! But why did Trevor leave Miami in such a hurry? Only Trevor knows...

You have been spoiled by the likes of Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, OJ Mayo, etc. It wasn't long ago that freshmen would have to fight for the ability to even see the floor. Thinking Cobb's and Iverson (I know he's not a freshman) aren't D1 talents is nothing short of ridiculous.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. We have been spoiled by the likes of Drew Crawford, Richardson & Paul from Illinois, even the progress during the season of the Michigan PG#4 from last night (name escapes me). That's just this year, just a few players.

We just want to see SOME signs from our freshman that they will be viable Big Ten players. We're not looking for the Superstar team-leading freshmen that you mention above. Just give us something to say "yeah, that guy could be good by the end of his Sophomore year!" Is that too much to ask??????

Rodney needed to RS this year for sure. HE CAN'T DRIVE!!!!!! That is what made him good against the terrible early teams, once he faced actual d-1 talent he became a non-factor because he can't shoot or get to the rim off of his dribble.

I am so glad BGF doesn't run any type of college sports team. After 2 years he expects them to be as good as Lebron James

Exactly, there is only one school that can go from the NIT to #1 in less than a year! Give Tubby 4-5 years and you will be playing for your conference's title!

The cupboard was dry when Tubby came here, there was basically nothing. The loss of Mbwake and White really hurt the recruiting for this year. He basically has two years of recruits. Give it time the depth will develop and it will be a huge difference. That kid from Princeton isn't even playing at the end of his second year at Wisconsin. That doesn't mean he isn't going to be a good college basketball player, it just means it takes time.

i don't understand all of the negativity towards Cobbs. He has excellant quickness, not great shooting but not terrible either, and is only a freshman. Give the kid a couple years and he will be productive. Everybody wants John Wall, but those players aren't going to come to Minnesota.

The cupboard was dry when Tubby came here, there was basically nothing. The loss of Mbwake and White really hurt the recruiting for this year. He basically has two years of recruits. Give it time the depth will develop and it will be a huge difference. That kid from Princeton isn't even playing at the end of his second year at Wisconsin. That doesn't mean he isn't going to be a good college basketball player, it just means it takes time.

i don't understand all of the negativity towards Cobbs. He has excellant quickness, not great shooting but not terrible either, and is only a freshman. Give the kid a couple years and he will be productive. Everybody wants John Wall, but those players aren't going to come to Minnesota.

Cobbs seems to be a typical PG prospect that requires two years of learning before becoming effective usually in his upperclassman years. One more year could do a lot for him.

Top Bottom