Tubby's Firing is a Watershed Event

MNSnowman

An old timer
Reaction score
Stepping back a bit, it strikes me that the decision to fire Tubby shows how far this program has come over the past seven years. Teague's decision and the endorsement by Kaler never would have happened seven years ago.

Ironically, Tubby's success here likely led to his coaching demise here. Seven years ago, we'd have been ecstatic with 5 of 6 seasons with 20-plus wins and achieving the NCAAs 3 of the six years.

I'm glad to see the expectations are higher and that the administration isn't willing to accept what seemed like a stagnating situation and a squandering of opportunity.
It wouldn't have happened seven years ago.

Stepping back a bit, it strikes me that the decision to fire Tubby shows how far this program has come over the past seven years. Teague's decision and the endorsement by Kaler never would have happened seven years ago.

Ironically, Tubby's success here likely led to his coaching demise here. Seven years ago, we'd have been ecstatic with 5 of 6 seasons with 20-plus wins and achieving the NCAAs 3 of the six years.

I'm glad to see the expectations are higher and that the administration isn't willing to accept what seemed like a stagnating situation and a squandering of opportunity.

The University of Minnesota Administration will accept it and in fact demands it. The current Athletic Department is putting up the good fight, unfortunately the war was lost years ago. Remember, our football and basketball programs used to be on par with Michigan and Ohio State.

I'm reluctant to call this a great change until I see what the end result is. I'm pleased to see that you now recognize the problems with the administration from 7 years ago. IF we do not learn from our history, we are doomed to repeat our history.

That is why the rash of extensions just before the former ad retired and got his pay increase to stay on prexy k's staff was somewhat unsettling. Also our new norwood's extension of Tubby's contract was a bit too much like the actions of seven years ago...and even more recently.

So, I wish our administration the VERY best in making this hire and in pulling off their signature move. However, I really do want to see how all the pieces fall into place before I will join the club calling our new administrators vastly new and improved.

I believe that many in the State House are watching the actions here with great interest.

Good luck on this hire and in figuring out the financing prexy k and Norwood...

As for me: I'll watch and hope for the best before I comment about the outcome...
; 0 )

Top Bottom