Tubby to UCLA

The-Real-Truth

Reaction score
Ok, I start this time. I have a feeling that Tubby's name will be mentioned if the Gophers do well in March. Tubby bashers, start your rants.

Go MTSU,

Go Gophers

Ok, I start this time. I have a feeling that Tubby's name will be mentioned if the Gophers do well in March. Tubby bashers, start your rants.

Go MTSU,

Go Gophers

This is no longer any issue to me. Nor does it seem like much of a possibility.
Tubby isn't going to want to go back into the fish bowl at his age and I doubt UCLA would go to a guy his age. However, if that scenario came up it would have to mean that Tubby won big here this year- otherwise there's no way UCLA gives him the nod.
I would accept losing Tubby if we have a really good year and he leaves the program in good shape for the next guy.

This is no longer any issue to me. Nor does it seem like much of a possibility.
Tubby isn't going to want to go back into the fish bowl at his age and I doubt UCLA would go to a guy his age. However, if that scenario came up it would have to mean that Tubby won big here this year- otherwise there's no way UCLA gives him the nod.
I would accept losing Tubby if we have a really good year and he leaves the program in good shape for the next guy.

Very true. Who do you think would be the best choice? I watched some basketball last night. I know that is early but it seems like all the teams are the same except UK that is playing an ugly NBA style. I am not sure what other choices they would have for such a great school.

Go Gophers

Go MTSU,

Go Gophers

Does Tubby deserve all the negatives implied on him? Who knows? But, would this type of talk help Tubby? Especially, at this juncture of the season when nothing substantial has been proven about the team?

Tubby may be better off without any inflated expectation, as well. I really don't think he will be able to survive another “underachievement to our expectation.” In that sense, Tubby should like the level of expectation right now.

Does Tubby deserve all the negatives implied on him? Who knows? But, would this type of talk help Tubby? Especially, at this juncture of the season when nothing substantial has been proven about the team?

Tubby may be better off without any inflated expectation, as well. I really don't think he will be able to survive another “underachievement to our expectation.” In that sense, Tubby should like the level of expectation right now.

Very true also. UCLA is the place to be in the US. However, their current coach has done very little since he moved there from Pit. I am sure the level of expectation for any coach at that level is much much higher that here.

Go Gophers

Very true also. UCLA is the place to be in the US. However, their current coach has done very little since he moved there from Pit. I am sure the level of expectation for any coach at that level is much much higher that here.

Go Gophers

3 Finals Fours qualifies as doing "very little"?!?!?

Go Gophers

if Tubby goes there and we can get Howland and his results here--I would take it.

Focus on the positive? Great. How long has he been there? Is that enough for their fan base?

Go Gophers

His 3 Final Fours have been in 8 seasons, pretty good percentage. I'm going to say that even by the high standards of the Bruin fanbase, that yes that is satisfactory for the majority of their fanbase.

As for what he did with Kevin Love, he won the Pac 10 Regular Season Title, Conference Tournament, got # 1 seed in the NCAA and made it to the Final 4. 35-4. Ho hum.

Dumbest. Thread. Ever.

OP has no idea what he's talking about with this subject as ope just showed and no way is UCLA going to be interested in Tubby. Not even FOT would think that. Tubby is ours, unless he wants to take a step down career wise. No one at our level or above will come calling any more, at least not for real. Certainly we can't control if his lawyer or agent make up rumors to create interest this offseason.

His 3 Final Fours have been in 8 seasons, pretty good percentage. I'm going to say that even by the high standards of the Bruin fanbase, that yes that is satisfactory for the majority of their fanbase.

As for what he did with Kevin Love, he won the Pac 10 Regular Season Title, Conference Tournament, got # 1 seed in the NCAA and made it to the Final 4. 35-4. Ho hum.

If you know the history of that conference, you would know that Pac 10 has been weak. Stanford has been a no name. Arizona has not been the same. USC has been weak. I don't understand how 3 FFs would be enough for the best program in the country?

Go Gophers

Yea...I'm going to venture a guess that TRT hasn't spent any time looking over Bruins Nation, the SBN blog for UCLA. They do raise concerns about recent issues (offensive scheme, player suspensions/recruiting) with UCLA bball but mention nothing about replacing Howland. Since they are a primary UCLA source online, that's pretty notable. They are however, on a huge jihad to get Neuheisal and the AD fired. Given the high level of focus and effort they are putting into both firings I'm going to wager that if Howland was actually on a hot seat they might have suggested it before now.

So yea, a ridiculous question to ask given the fact that Howland isn't close to getting fired (and that's without getting into the facts of his level of success at UCLA).

I don't understand how 3 FFs would be enough for the best program in the country?

I understand your point, Truth, but best program in the country? Most tradition-laden program in the country, yes, but best program in the country?

I can think of a half-dozen off the top of my head -- North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, UConn and Kentucky -- that I'd put ahead of UCLA.

If you know the history of that conference, you would know that Pac 10 has been weak. Stanford has been a no name. Arizona has not been the same. USC has been weak. I don't understand how 3 FFs would be enough for the best program in the country?

Go Gophers

you can only finish first in the conference and win the conference tourney no matter the quality of the other teams-- you don't get a trophy that says "first but only cuz everyone else had a down year"

you can only finish first in the conference and win the conference tourney no matter the quality of the other teams-- you don't get a trophy that says "first but only cuz everyone else had a down year"

In that case, VCU and Butler are the most storied programs of this decade. Why can't we stop going by the stats when it comes to the other programs. When it comes to the Gophers, we have no player who can play anywhere in the Big10 because 2 close pre-season games. You guys call yourselves fans??????

Go Gophers

Go Gophers

I know it's just a bunch of typed words, but I can almost sense the anger you have towards the Gopher basketball fan base.

I know it's just a bunch of typed words, but I can almost sense the anger you have towards the Gopher basketball fan base.

Not true. I am just tired of reading so many negative posts. People come here and praise the other programs when they are not doing so well. It seems like people are getting their facts from the other boards. When you make a comment, you see instantly a bunch of stats from either google or other boards. There are some really good fans in here that have had valid concerns. These people really know what they are talking about. People like Art are growing fast on this board. I am actually thinking about not checking the posts here any more. It has got really bad. Like I have said before, only time will tell what these players and coaches can do.

Go Gophers

'The Tubby to _____' rumor mill closed when the Maryland job opened and was filled. The idea that UCLA will fire Ben Howland is a huge reach at best. And if they do, they won't replace with him with a 60+ year-old, no matter who it is. At this point it's an 80% chance Tubby retires from MN, and if he leaves it will be because he's upset about something and takes a lesser job, not because he gets stolen away.

UCLA would never make this move, not in a million years...nothing to worry about here folks.

Not true. I am just tired of reading so many negative posts. People come here and praise the other programs when they are not doing so well. It seems like people are getting their facts from the other boards. When you make a comment, you see instantly a bunch of stats from either google or other boards. There are some really good fans in here that have had valid concerns. These people really know what they are talking about. People like Art are growing fast on this board. I am actually thinking about not checking the posts here any more. It has got really bad. Like I have said before, only time will tell what these players and coaches can do.

Go Gophers

So this nonsense was an attempt to smoke out people you think are like Art? I'm confused. It was a silly OP. I haven't felt the need to debate with any additional facts because, in the end, you started a post that requires folks to believe Howland might get fired (something for which there is no evidence).

We need an "All Things Tubby to Wherever ... " thread.

And to be fair, the very site I talked about (Bruins Nation) just put up a long post outlining things they think Howland needs to do to improve the program (http://www.bruinsnation.com/2011/11/16/2567046/ucla-basketball-trust-ben-howland-). But if you read it, you can still see that the Bruins fanbase has not reached FIRE BEN and the central point of the OP is still based on nothing as far as I can tell.

That said, it does appear clear that Howland's level of success is not satisfying the masses in Brentwood.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if we lost Tubby as long as Flip took over with Trent Tucker as his lead assistant.

Wouldn't bother me a bit if we lost Tubby as long as Flip took over with Trent Tucker as his lead assistant.
Why do you think Flip would take over? He's coaching in the NBA, probably being paid a lot more than we would pay him, and he has John Wall on his team, a good asset to have when it comes to becoming successful.

I just hope the part about the Gophers having success in March is true.

use of google (or wiki)

Go Gophers

Just for the record, when I realed off Howland's accompishments I did that without benefit of google or wikipedia, except to look up what the Bruin record was in '07-08.

An example of using google would be to point out how when you belittled the Pac 10 that during that season the conference was pretty strong. Stanford finished the season rated #11 with the Lopez twins and advanced to the Sweet 16. Wash St finished ranked #21 (made it as high as #4) behind Tony Bennett and also advanced to the Sweet 16. Additionally it was the year that USC was pretty good with OJ Mayo (results vacated due to NCAA violations). Arizona & Oregon made for the Field of 65 as well, thus 50 percent of the teams made it to the Dance. KLove had some pretty good competition during his 1 year stay in Westwood.

3 final fours in 8 years is damn good for any program

Top Bottom