Tubby Smith launches full-court press for new basketball center (photo of facility)

Gotta question if we have the speed and stamina for a full court press!

I have no problem with Tubby putting on his full-court press for the practice facility (he's being quite the "point guard"), but I'd prefer he wait to apply the full-court pressure until after the season is over. Seems to me his main focus right now should be trying to salvage what's left of this season, and NOT publicly stating that his team's NCAA chances are "pretty much gone" (even if it's true). I don't like a head coach sending that message to his team, especially if it's a team that despite its late-season foibles still has a chance to string together 3 wins at the end of the season.

Someone posted that rendering a few weeks ago that has been on the athletic department website for a while.

I have no problem with Tubby putting on his full-court press for the practice facility (he's being quite the "point guard"), but I'd prefer he wait to apply the full-court pressure after the season is over. Seems to me his main focus right now should be trying to salvage what's left of this season, and NOT publicly stating that his team's NCAA chances are "pretty much gone" (even if it's true). I don't like a head coach sending that message to his players.

I get the distinct feeling that the squad and the coach are mutually tired of each other this year. Bad luck and losing will do that to you. I agree with you SS- it's a bit early. But at least his campaign for the practice facility along with his Spring recruiting activity gives one the feeling he is prepared to stick it out and see this thing through to success and I like that part of it.

I have no problem with Tubby putting on his full-court press for the practice facility (he's being quite the "point guard"), but I'd prefer he wait to apply the full-court pressure after the season is over. Seems to me his main focus right now should be tryng to salvage what's left of this season, and NOT publicly stating that his team's NCAA chances are "pretty much gone" (even if it's true). I don't like a head coach sending that message to his players.

I'm pretty sure his main focus is getting this team right. I highly doubt that he's spending a lot of time pining for this thing. Giving a little piece after practice isn't much. And let's face it, this team hasn't reacted well late in games knowing that everything is on the line, so maybe they need to just go out and play without the added pressure just to get a W or two under their belts and get to the BTT with some confidence. Suddenly, win a couple there and I think we'll be pleasantly surprised come March 13.

The fact is, this is a definite need for this program. We're not Ohio State, we need this to remain competitive in recruiting if we want these top 50 players like everyone is demanding of Tubby. And really, who can argue this team could use more time to work on their skills outside of practice time lol?

Crum was at Iowa State when the Cyclones first sought donors for a practice facility in 2004. Then, in 2008, they got lucky. An area contractor donated land about three miles west of the Ames campus and handled the construction, keeping costs down to $8 million. The Sukup Basketball Complex, with matching courts, locker rooms and offices for the men's and women's teams, opened in 2009.

3 miles from campus? So much for walking across the street to lift weights.

I know there are constant rumors about Tubby leaving thanks to the likes of KFAN and 1500, but the earliest I could see him leaving would be after 2011-12. I know money talks, nothing will surprise me, but for some reason I see him as guy who at least wants to see his first recruiting class (Ralph & Iverson) through the program. He doesn't strike me as a guy that will leave after the type of season we've had. He's a competitive dude. I'd be much more disappointed if he left after this particular season than if he left after a highly successful one.

I know there are constant rumors about Tubby leaving thanks to the likes of KFAN and 1500, but the earliest I could see him leaving would be after 2011-12. I know money talks, nothing will surprise me, but for some reason I see him as guy who at least wants to see his first recruiting class (Ralph & Iverson) through the program. He doesn't strike me as a guy that will leave after the type of season we've had. He's a competitive dude. I'd be much more disappointed if he left after this particular season then if he left after a highly successful one.

Maybe. But I also think the odds of him leaving drop dramatically with each passing year. Tubby doesn't strike me as someone who's going to coach until he's 70 either. So if he's going to go into a rebuilding job, he would need to do it soon. I think he only has about 5 years left in him period and for that reason I don't think he's going anywhere.

I have no problem with Tubby putting on his full-court press for the practice facility (he's being quite the "point guard"), but I'd prefer he wait to apply the full-court pressure until after the season is over. Seems to me his main focus right now should be trying to salvage what's left of this season, and NOT publicly stating that his team's NCAA chances are "pretty much gone" (even if it's true). I don't like a head coach sending that message to his team, especially if it's a team that despite its late-season foibles still has a chance to string together 3 wins at the end of the season.

I might actually try a different tack to motivate the team:

Gentlemen, we were 11-1 in OOC play and won the PR Tourney. How many of you were on the team then?

Oh, ALL of you were?

Then gentlemen, we were 16-4 (5-3 in B10) and ranked #15 in the nation in late January. How many of you were on the team then?

Again, ALL of you were?

Well, it seems to me that ALL of you have the potential to play like a 16-4 team rather than the 1-7 team we have been over the past month or so.

Just do it. Kansas State was 13-7 when we were 16-4. Kansas State is 21-9 today with W over Kansas and Texas despite losing several team members due to injury or transfers since the 13-7 mark.

JUST DO IT!

Maybe. But I also think the odds of him leaving drop dramatically with each passing year. Tubby doesn't strike me as someone who's going to coach until he's 70 either. So if he's going to go into a rebuilding job, he would need to do it soon. I think he only has about 5 years left in him period and for that reason I don't think he's going anywhere.

I doubt Tubby coaches beyond 65 if that long. He'll be 60 in 2011. He'll retire in 2016 if not sooner.

That was my first thought, too. This is actually walking across yet another street if my understanding is correct.

I know there are constant rumors about Tubby leaving thanks to the likes of KFAN and 1500, but the earliest I could see him leaving would be after 2011-12. I know money talks, nothing will surprise me, but for some reason I see him as guy who at least wants to see his first recruiting class (Ralph & Iverson) through the program. He doesn't strike me as a guy that will leave after the type of season we've had. He's a competitive dude. I'd be much more disappointed if he left after this particular season then if he left after a highly successful one.

This is exactly right. The goal of hiring a Tubby Smith and paying premium dollars is so that coach can put the program back to a higher level of notoriety such that the program begins to sell itself. My hope is that he has a couple of great season and then hangs it up on a high. For his sake and ours. That way we are able to bring in the next guy at a more affordable level and he'll have an excellent chance of continuing the success.

Pretty much everyone agrees a new practice facility would help recruiting. I think if Tubby would be quicker to deny rumors of 'himself moving on' would also help.

If he is pressing for a new practice facilities and is hoping either in the fall or next spring to start building it, it kinda stands to reason he is not looking to be elsewhere, though who of us would not entertain an offer if we felt it was better then our current situation (note word "entertain" - this does not mean accept).

Personally, especially given the way this season has gone, I believe Tubby should be given more time and those who might be calling for his dismissal truly need to wake up. Even Myron is not among those who want Tubby gone.

Pretty much everyone agrees a new practice facility would help recruiting. I think if Tubby would be quicker to deny rumors of 'himself moving on' would also help.

Could be he is just does not see the need to. The rumors are always going to be there and it can be like swatting flies. We may have to do that once in a while, but the reason for our existence is not to waste a lot of time doing that.

If he is pressing for a new practice facilities and is hoping either in the fall or next spring to start building it, it kinda stands to reason he is not looking to be elsewhere, though who of us would not entertain an offer if we felt it was better then our current situation (note word "entertain" - this does not mean accept).

Personally, especially given the way this season has gone, I believe Tubby should be given more time and those who might be calling for his dismissal truly need to wake up. Even Myron is not among those who want Tubby gone.

I've seen very, very few that want him dismissed. He's good for the program. Changes yes- that would be good.

I don't recall anyone calling for his dismissal but some questions have been raised, which is fair.

Crum was at Iowa State when the Cyclones first sought donors for a practice facility in 2004. Then, in 2008, they got lucky. An area contractor donated land about three miles west of the Ames campus and handled the construction, keeping costs down to $8 million. The Sukup Basketball Complex, with matching courts, locker rooms and offices for the men's and women's teams, opened in 2009.

The land was donated, so they were put in a tough spot. It's a gorgeous facility tough, one that the Gophers would be lucky to have.

It would be pretty ridiculous for him to jump out in front of every baseless rumor that he's a candidate for a job not yet available. He has said he isn't leaving, is he supposed to continually say that over and over? Nick saban eske. Is he supposed to announce to the public he isn't a candidate for the Georgia tech job that is not yet available while someone he knows is still coaching them? That's not how it works

I don't recall anyone calling for his dismissal but some questions have been raised, which is fair.

True, but I have seen a few posts wanting to see him gone and personally I think some of the ones already looking to see who would replace him gravitate in that direction. May be wrong there, but it does come across that way. As for people who actually have something meaningful to say in that regard, no, I have not seen that either.

similar to how a new football stadium was going to resurect the FB program? hmmmm

It's GREAT when the phone rings...and the rumors and...

rumors of rumors are filling the air. It's good news when the talking heads are talking about the next stop for a current coach. It makes the most insecure fans anxious. It makes the most critical of fans even more critical. And, in the middle of a losing streak it really makes some so afraid that the team might lose the coach who is currently losing for their own program.

Any coach worth having is also capable of generating the rumors that coach may soon be leaving or might be stolen away for more money, a higher-profile job or because of facility or lack of facility on the home front. If nobody else wants our coach, why should we want our coach?

And, my very favorite thing is hearing and reading about the indignant responses from those who are so insecure that they start trashing and badmouthing OUR current coach who is well-enough thought of by people somewhere else who would like to think that OUR coach would like to come to THEIR program. Those people hoping to steal some other programs "name" coach just day-dream about having a coach who will be the target of rumors and rumors of rumors that THEIR coach will be hired away by some rival or at least a high-profied university in some other conference or section of the country.

It's fantastic that Tubby's name comes into play from time to time. It makes it interesting around here!

It's all such GREAT fun! ; 0 )

I find it funny that the article acknowledges that IOWA STATE has a practice facility and then goes on to ask whether a practice facility is necessary. My one concern about the practice facility is that I hate the idea of committing to build one without the "bells and whistles". It makes zero sense to build something that will not be state of the art when it opens. We already play in an arena that is not looked at positively by many recruits ( I don't understand that, it's a great place to shoot, but it is what it is), there is no point to building a practice facility that also does not live up to what kids see at other schools.

I find it funny that the article acknowledges that IOWA STATE has a practice facility and then goes on to ask whether a practice facility is necessary. My one concern about the practice facility is that I hate the idea of committing to build one without the "bells and whistles". It makes zero sense to build something that will not be state of the art when it opens. We already play in an arena that is not looked at positively by many recruits ( I don't understand that, it's a great place to shoot, but it is what it is), there is no point to building a practice facility that also does not live up to what kids see at other schools.

How many schools just built a new football stadium? (Not many, I'd guess)

That was Big $$$ and it'll take a while to raise more $ for baseball stadium and basketball facility.

So, now I have it. Royce White transferred to Iowa State because of their "practice facility". :banghead:

Top Bottom