Tubby on Sports Huddle

station19

Reaction score
calling out the refs in a round-about way. Watching what he says. Talks about 5 second call on Devoe and double dribble on LW. Don't hear Tubby talk like that very often.

Credit to Illinois, but any 19-point comeback needs some help. They got it from the Gophs who stopped making field goals, but they also got it from the stripes with just plain weirdo calls. Not saying there's a conspiracy, but there is unquestionably a human-nature thing going on where they get caught up in the drama of the comeback and the frenzied crowd. I think they really get off on the crowd cheering their calls.

I was surprised at how critical he was. The Gophers need to learn to close out games. It seems odd that Tubby would play that card at this time.

Of the games I have watched this year, it is MY observation that we are getting absolutely NO homecooking at The Barn, and on the road our opponents are. The last 8 minutes Saturday at IL was one good example. Go Figure.

Credit to Illinois, but any 19-point comeback needs some help. They got it from the Gophs who stopped making field goals, but they also got it from the stripes with just plain weirdo calls. Not saying there's a conspiracy, but there is unquestionably a human-nature thing going on where they get caught up in the drama of the comeback and the frenzied crowd. I think they really get off on the crowd cheering their calls.

That's actually a really interesting point...you see it all the time in every sport. Such as an umpire with an overzealous punch-out or a football ref enthusiastically calling back a big play and the crowd roars...

The two calls on LW and Devoe were both 'rule interpretation' calls, frustrating yes ... but ... the non call on Colton (he was clearly fouled) and the throwdown of Blake (traveling) were both inexcusable. It makes you wonder ... as Tubby said this morning.

The refs clearly were trying to help Illinois's comeback, which just isn't their place... but we still needed to play better down the stretch.

If it makes Tubby wonder, then you also know that it makes all of us wonder...
Go Gophers!!!

In my reincarnation, I am going to become a coach, and I will instruct all referees that our opponent has to play by the rules, but we don't. That'll fix 'em. :)

Good move

I didn't hear the comments but it sounds like a good move by Tubby. At this stage in the season, confidence is absolutely critical. The mere implication of a handful of marginal calls will likely make the guys feel a little better about the game despite Illinois crawling back into things.

They've got some good momentum right now, we dont' want anything to derail that going into Ann Arbor

The two calls on LW and Devoe were both 'rule interpretation' calls, frustrating yes ... but ... the non call on Colton (he was clearly fouled) and the throwdown of Blake (traveling) were both inexcusable. It makes you wonder ... as Tubby said this morning.

You stated so much better then I did yesterday!! I am very frustrated by the lack of effort by our teams. It is directly related to the lack of refs' lack of judgement!

I sometimes feel like I am the second coming of Sid!! Yikes!!

If he can validate his concerns RE: the calls in question, then I hope he is on the hotline to the BT office Monday and raises some heck. The officials are critiqued and I would think a call from Tubby would hold some weight. Quality BT officiating has been lacking. Maybe its time the BT critique's the person who is in charge of the officials!

The refs clearly were trying to help Illinois's comeback, which just isn't their place... but we still needed to play better down the stretch.

I agree with you Saber we do need to play better. I ask all Gopher Fans to watch for the team's lack of effort when the momentum starts going against us, they get tentative, lack focus, and thus make mistakes. They act like IF I do this what are the refs going to call. I noticed with a fellow/gopher hoops junkie that the gophs tend to play tentative when the refs are inconsistent wether it be at home or on the road. I know they need to say the heck with the refs, but if you have ever coached or played the game you know the Refs do control the game. It is a fact. Players no matter the level are affected by the refs calls.

You cannot just play through it. It does not happen, the only thing you can do is hang on and hope you can ride the "run" that the other team makes!!

Most of my years I have been watching Southeastern Conference (SEC) Basketball. Over those many years there have been some great referees and some not so great. The bad ones didn't last. The referees have had good and bad calls, but the bad wasn't consistently bad game to game.
Since Tubby went to MN I have been a fan of Minnesota Basketball and it's quest for championship-caliber play. I don't think Tubby ever expected to play 8 on 5. Big Ten officiating is horrendous. It's the worst I have ever seen. Not just a bad game or two - but every game. A touch foul here and mauling no-call there. Three officials with 3 different angles. Doesn't the Big Ten have a Director of Officiating and an evaluation system? Where is the Commish when you need him to demand improvement in officiating? It's a shame the referees dictate the outcomes of the games.

Of the games I have watched this year, it is MY observation that we are getting absolutely NO homecooking at The Barn, and on the road our opponents are. The last 8 minutes Saturday at IL was one good example. Go Figure.

MN/WI 2010

Top Bottom