Tubby on ESPN 1500 with Reusse

EG#9

Reaction score
I looked to see if anyone had posted this, but it's a pretty informative interview from Tubby from 5 days ago.

Things I didn't know

- Andre Ingram had hip surgery, but Tubby doesn't seem concerned about it
- Mo Walker is a little worried/tentative after his injury. Tubby's talked to his mom who reports that Mo is at 300 or( or was inabudible, I think he might have said 305). Tubby thinks they need to get him down to 285.

Specific player notes:

- Wants to see Trevor expand his game
- Wants Ralph to get to the line more, this was a theme for a lot of players Tubby talked about
- Joked about Joe Coleman's 52 point game in Pulley, saying he wouldn't score 52 all year. He then talked about Joe's hard nosed style and sees him finishing despite contact
- Wants to see Rodney get out on the brake more, handle the ball better, get to the line more
- Sees Chip as a guy who tries to avoid contact when driving and they want him to change that
- Excited for Eliason and thought his overseas trip was good
- Complementary of Andre Hollins and mentioned he could play the point, though Tubby avoided the question on exactly who would be the point guard. One thing I found weird was Tubby said that Andre averaged 15 ppg last year, and I am pretty sure it was significantly more than that. There were few factual errors like that thoughout the interview that were kind of strange (hesitating on Chip's first name too)
- Said Austin Hollins runs the floor about as well as anyone he has coached but they need to get him stronger

Comment on last year

- Lacked depth and again made the claim that he should have started someone else at PG once Nolen went down and Devoe left. This time Tubby added the wrinkle that it could have been Maverick or Austin Hollins. Said putting Iverson in the lineup made them too slow.

I took away from the interview that they intend to run more this year, from various comments made throughout the interview. I think I covered most everything though it pales in comparison to DL65's breakdowns on the football board. It's definitely worth a listen, if you haven't heard the interview:

Link:http://www.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?mtype=audio

Thanks for posting this, EG...it was a good read. I hope we have some news on the recruiting front in the next couple of weeks.

Any more info on Mo, has he been playing ball this summer if so how does he look?

Any Canadian gophers out there have the skinny on his weight and what he is doing to get it down?

Thanks for the link

I did not know about it. Great stuff from Trevor and Kill also.

I took away from the interview that they intend to run more this year, from various comments made throughout the interview. I think I covered most everything though it pales in comparison to DL65's breakdowns on the football board. It's definitely worth a listen, if you haven't heard the interview:

Not too sure about that. That was pretty good.

I didn't listen to the interview, but maybe he was referring to Andre Ingram about the 15 points per game instead of Hollins.

Thanks. Focusing on football but thoughts of Gopher hoops are always there.

I, for one, will believe the "we want to play faster" stuff when I see it.

Tubby seems to say that every summer (even when he was at Kentucky). But it never materializes. It might happen a little bit against bad n-c teams, but by the time you get to conference play, Tubby is a control freak about every possession and control = slow.

I- Said Austin Hollins runs the floor about as well as anyone he has coached but they need to get him stronger

Comment on last year

- Lacked depth and again made the claim that he should have started someone else at PG once Nolen went down and Devoe left. This time Tubby added the wrinkle that it could have been Maverick or Austin Hollins.

This backs-up my believe Austin will get major minutes at the 2 and 3.

I'm skeptical whenever I hear a B1G coach -- especially a new one -- say they're going to play faster or play a running & pressing style. It just doesn't work that way in this conference. Overall, the B1G is a grinding, defensive league. Even coaches that like to play at a quicker pace (re: Izzo) have trouble doing so once conference play starts.

I'm skeptical whenever I hear a B1G coach say they're going to play faster or play a running & pressing style. It just doesn't work that way in this conference. Overall, the B1G is a grinding, defensive league with quite a few top-notch coaches. Opposing coaches simply aren't going to let you get out & run.

You better learn to be darn good in half-court sets (where we've struggled) if you want to succeed. Even coaches that like to play at a quicker pace (re: Izzo) have trouble doing so once conference play starts. I'm not so hung up on the Gophers playing faster. What I'd like to see is the Gophers become more efficient in the half-court, execute without the shot-clock becoming a factor on so many possessions.

I'm skeptical whenever I hear a B1G coach say they're going to play faster or play a running & pressing style. It just doesn't work that way in this conference. Overall, the B1G is a grinding, defensive league with quite a few top-notch coaches. Opposing coaches simply aren't going to let you get out & run.

You better learn to be darn good in half-court sets (where we've struggled) if you want to succeed. Even coaches that like to play at a quicker pace (re: Izzo) have trouble doing so once conference play starts. I'm not so hung up on the Gophers playing faster. What I'd like to see is the Gophers become more efficient in the half-court, execute without the shot-clock becoming a factor on so many possessions.

Recruiting is going to dictate the style of play, it looks to me like athletic ability and the ability to get up and down the court is trumpeting half court basketball skills. Armelin, Austin Hollins, Coleman, and Williams do not have great half court skills but are great in the open court. It sounds like Ellenson is in the same mold. I wonder how it is going to work out. I doubt Tubby would have given Hoffarber a second look.

I think we will bring a ton of defensive pressure as we rotate players, leading to turnovers allowing and us to get some easy points. If Mo is healthy I think his inside size and scoring touch will help our half court offense which will also be helped if we can make our outside shots. Andre, Oto, and others need to hit the open shot.

Top Bottom