Tubby checking out Matt Willms according to Ryan James

Jon

Reaction score
"Willms, who hails from Leamington, Ontario, located roughly 30 miles from Detroit, gave up his country's national pastime after the eighth grade. Then he was 5-foot-10. His dad told him that if he gave up hockey, he had to pick up another sport, and a 13-inch growth spurt over the next two years made the choice pretty easy.
" -- from below lasvegassun link
2011-09-14 18:10:26
RyanJamesMN: Tubby Smith was at Findlay Prep Monday looking at seven footer Matt Willms
RyanJamesMN (Ryan James)

Emerging Canadian big man Matt Willms likes what he sees in Las Vegas and UNLV
Saturday, July 23, 2011
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/jul/23/willms-072311/

Rivals profile
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Matt-Willms-128931

Q &A Questions & Answers w/ 2012 Matt Willms
http://www.premierball.com/questions-answers-w-2012-matt-willms/

A poor mans Kyrs Faber. lol A less than impressive list.Projects seem to be the rule rather than exception.

Definately a project, but at 6-11 and only having played the game a couple of years the potential might be there. Can we take a project though for 2012, hopefully Walker will be fully recovered from his injury, it could be possible if that is the case.

With Ellison/Walker at center and Oseniek/Ingram at power forward the need might not be that pressing to get someone that can contribute immediately for 2012.

This recruiting class is shaping up to be extremely below average.....

I'm missing where it said we offered and he committed?

Look at everyone we are after right now. Than look at the rest of the Big Ten and the classes they have already. That should paint a better picture for you.

Look at everyone we are after right now. Than look at the rest of the Big Ten and the classes they have already. That should paint a better picture for you.

AJ Hammons is a 4-star and if he gets in shape he could be a very good player. Even if he stays in the same shape he was over the summer I'd expect him to be a good player. I don't know where we stand with Nolan, but I like his game and potential a lot. If we were to get him and Hammons then our class being extremely below average would be extremely inaccurate.

AJ Hammons is a 4-star and if he gets in shape he could be a very good player. Even if he stays in the same shape he was over the summer I'd expect him to be a good player. I don't know where we stand with Nolan, but I like his game and potential a lot. If we were to get him and Hammons then our class being extremely below average would be extremely inaccurate.

I have seen A.J Hammons on ESPNU multiple times and he is extremely overrated. I could care less about his stars. He used to be a 4 star on rivals and after last year he got dropped all the way down to 120. His stock is falling dramatically. He doesn't have the drive/motivation/athletic ability to be considered as a big time recruit at this point in his development. He just doesn't and plenty of people who pay attention to college basketball recruiting will tell you that. It's not a matter of losing weight.

Michigan/Michigan State/Indiana/Purdue/Iowa/Wisconsin would all have better classes even if we managed to land those two other players and Nolan is a huge if. Not to mention Ohio State and Illinois who are in the running for 4 and 5 star players this year and already have 3 committed between them for the 2013 class. It is not inaccurate to say it is below average when you compare them against teams in your own conference. Not in the slightest.

Below average in the Big Ten? Sure, but that's a little misleading considering how good the Big Ten's recruiting classes are for 2012. You originally said extremely below average in general which is what I was disagreeing with. You didn't specify. A below average class in the Big Ten for 2012 could still be a very good class. Also, I've seen Hammons play in person as well as TV. I'd be very surprised if you've seen him more than me, so I don't need you or someone else to tell me how good he is or isn't. He has things you can't teach like size and soft hands which is very valuable for a big. Is he a guarantee to be All-Big Ten? No, but I'd still consider him a good prospect and would be very happy if we get him.

Top Bottom