Tubby Answers Rumors

Maximus

Reaction score
From gophersports.com....Tubby's media briefing today. Before he takes questions he says he wants to address the speculation/rumors that are out there on the internet. He's happy at Minnesota. He's not looking for another job. We have a great recruiting class coming in. He's excited about the Golden Gopher program and where it's headed. He is not a candidate for any other jobs. Now, please don't ask about it again...he then talked about Illinois.

From gophersports.com....Tubby's media briefing today. Before he takes questions he says he wants to address the speculation/rumors that are out there on the internet. He's happy at Minnesota. He's not looking for another job. We have a great recruiting class coming in. He's excited about the Golden Gopher program and where it's headed. He is not a candidate for any other jobs. Now, please don't ask about it again...he then talked about Illinois.

While I agree with Tubby's comments, what is he really supposed to say? No coach ever publicly says they're looking for another job or have interest. I'm sure Lou Holtz said the same thing...

Art, what did I tell you about wasting our oxygen?

I agree to an extent, but some coaches walk a finer line, or some say "Right now, I'm Minnesota's coach" but leave it open, or maybe not even comment at all.

Not a believer that Tubby is looking elsewhere at all, but in defense of those a little insecure about it, I think Lou Holtz gave everyone a little bit of anxiety the way ND came calling for him! Given that MN is not an elite school (BB or Football - yet anyway), it is hard not to be a little concerned when the Gophers do get a top HC and other schools start knocking at the door.

Didn't Lou even have it in his contract that he could leave for Notre Dame?

That is what I recall too, Barn. ND was the only one he could get out of contract to move on to, that is as far as I recall.

I'm glad that coach Smith addressed this issue sooner rather than later. The longer you let these kind of rumors fester, the more nervous and upset folks can get. I have no reason to think that coach Smith is just telling everybody what they want to hear.

He's always been known as a straightforward, honest guy and I get the feeling that he's here to stay.

I'm glad that coach Smith addressed this issue sooner rather than later. The longer you let these kind of rumors fester, the more nervous and upset folks can get. I have no reason to think that coach Smith is just telling everybody what they want to hear.

He's always been known as a straightforward, honest guy and I get the feeling that he's here to stay.

True, but people are still going to talk. Maryland is next on the docket!

That is what I recall too, Barn. ND was the only one he could get out of contract to move on to, that is as far as I recall.

Doctor - not sure about Lou's contract but I doubt it referenced ND. My recollection is that it was just a different tune the music man was playing on his way out of town.

Never forget what Haskins did to the program. Never forget Monson's 8 years of futility. We should count our blessings and enjoy Tubby Smith for as long as we have him.

Not a believer that Tubby is looking elsewhere at all, but in defense of those a little insecure about it, I think Lou Holtz gave everyone a little bit of anxiety the way ND came calling for him! Given that MN is not an elite school (BB or Football - yet anyway), it is hard not to be a little concerned when the Gophers do get a top HC and other schools start knocking at the door.

I never put much credence in Arizona or Alabama or anywhere else for that matter but Maryland might be a different story. 17 (or so) brothers and sisters might have an affect. Not too worried at this point since it seems MN is a good spot for him now and Md. sounds a little messy to step in and start building again. I much prefer staying with Tubby but with Flip available and close by it seems we are in a good spot right now. That said, I hope Gary Williams wins the rest of his games.

Alabama is far from an elite basketball school and only recently joined the ranks of respectable in football a few years ago. Nor is Arizona an elite basketball program. They had some success while Lute Olsen was there but that little flareup is probably not going continue into the next ten years.

Alabama is far from an elite basketball school and only recently joined the ranks of respectable in football a few years ago. Nor is Arizona an elite basketball program. They had some success while Lute Olsen was there but that little flareup is probably not going continue into the next ten years.

I agree that Alabama is a nobody when it comes to hoops but they are one of the more storied programs in college football. They had a lull until recently but Saban has them back in the mix.

Funny, Lute Olsen wins a national title and it's considered "some success" yet when Tubby wins one it considered the greatest achievement of all time :cool:

Like I've said, Tubby is nucking futs for even thinking of leaving Minnesota. This the great coaching gig in a BCS conference.

Like I've said, Tubby is nucking futs for even thinking of leaving Minnesota. This the great coaching gig in a BCS conference.

Lol. Did you forget to sign into an alias or something. You're not exactly doing your part to quell any rumors and seem to be attempting to fan the flames of his departure.

I've always said coaching here is a great gig. No expectations. All you have to do is make the tourney once every couple of years and people adore you. Any coach would be crazy to leave here voluntarily...

I've always said coaching here is a great gig. No expectations. All you have to do is make the tourney once every couple of years and people adore you. Any coach would be crazy to leave here voluntarily...

That would not meet Tubby's goals. He wants to make NCAA every year and won 2 of 3, maybe 3 of 4 NCAA games that he coaches, and win NCAA title.

Tubby HAS high expectations even if you don't.

"We should count our blessings and enjoy Tubby Smith for as long as we have him."

I second that motion. Let's be thankful we have a coach considered desirable by other big-name programs, programs that have won national championships (Arizona & Maryland).

Art does have a point. Questioning the home team in Minnesota is kind of like how it was a few years after 9/11 if you questioned our country. You are a poor fan/journalist and we don't want you.

Exhibit A: The Minnesota Wild. Nothing but sellouts and you are putting your life in your own hands if you question the product. Stating publicly that it doesn't say much for the entertainment value of the team if Mikko Koivu is your best offensive player and dynamic free agents might not want to play in Jaques' system is offensive to many. No player in his right mind would choose the climate and culture of Miami and sign with Florida, or play for a Cup in Detroit when the opportunity to play in the Ex in front of our fan base exists.

Exhibit B: Gopher Hockey. Two titles in 28 years despite being basically a pro team playing amongst high school competition. They'll always pay enough to get the coach of their choice, every game is on television in the upper midwest, have a taxpayer funded taj mahal, etc. Easily the most pompous fan base in the region and pointing out the absurdity of it all based on the points above will really irk any member of the fan base.

The Test: Brewster's "gopher nation, Pasadena Grass" hype. I wonder if his followers will be lobbying for an extension for the sake of recruiting if his record falls to 4-8 next year with that schedule.

The only exception is the WWE Viking fan base. The new fans that jumped on when Moss came to town are the polar opposite and have been more entertaining than Childress' offense.

So does questioning a critics questions/complaints constitute being a homer or maroon, purple or whatever shaded glasses? People complain when they get "jumped on" for having a criticism, yet do not allow for the fact that their criticism may be unjust, unfair or biased!

Art does have a point. Questioning the home team in Minnesota is kind of like how it was a few years after 9/11 if you questioned our country. You are a poor fan/journalist and we don't want you.

Exhibit A: The Minnesota Wild. Nothing but sellouts and you are putting your life in your own hands if you question the product. Stating publicly that it doesn't say much for the entertainment value of the team if Mikko Koivu is your best offensive player and dynamic free agents might not want to play in Jaques' system is offensive to many. No player in his right mind would choose the climate and culture of Miami and sign with Florida, or play for a Cup in Detroit when the opportunity to play in the Ex in front of our fan base exists.

* Though I agree that the Wild seem to have a little bit of a tight pocket string, especially since the fan base has been so incredibly supportive. They should do better in regards to increasing the talent level. That said, a number of players have commented how the team is building the right way.

Otherwise, concerning the criticism, maybe it might have something to do with the fact that Jacques has won the cup and a certain offensive minded player seems more concerned with personal gratification then team production (makes for a better contract)! Last time I checked, hockey is a team game.

Many MN fans are far more astute to hockey then the desperate homers they are made out to be by some. Maybe they are also a little tired of players demanding inflated contracts, especially since the fans have to pay for it in the box office/merchandise ect.

Exhibit B: Gopher Hockey. Two titles in 28 years despite being basically a pro team playing amongst high school competition. They'll always pay enough to get the coach of their choice, every game is on television in the upper midwest, have a taxpayer funded taj mahal, etc. Easily the most pompous fan base in the region and pointing out the absurdity of it all based on the points above will really make irk any member of the fan base.

*May it also have something to do with the best players turning pro before the team can really gel and win consistently. It is great having the talent, but the talent does need to stick around more then one or two years.

The Test: Brewster's "gopher nation, Pasadena Grass" hype. I wonder if his followers will be lobbying for an extension for the sake of recruiting if his record falls to 4-8 next year with that schedule.

*Getting a little tired of bashing Brew because he is a strong optimist (read not hype).

Since Northwestern and Wisconsin were able to climb out of the mud heaps and go to the Rose bowl, why not MN? Maybe it is because of a lack of belief it can happen in MN, a belief made very strong under the previous unnamed coach!

Creating a vision for the team/players/fans is a good thing and something that has been sorely lacking in MN. It is a part of learning to win/be a champion and MN will never climb out of mediocrity without it! Will there be mistakes...of course. No one goes through life without them. The biggest mistake, though, is simply not going forward. If you like just existing in mediocrity. Have at it. Brew and crew have been making some tangible things happen so the team can develop.

The only exception is the WWE Viking fan base. The new fans that jumped on when Moss came to town are the polar opposite and have been more entertaining than Childress' offense.

Whatever!

Top Bottom