Trust

Indi1006

Banned
Reaction score
It's obvious that a lack of trust plays a pretty good size role in Limegrover et al's play calling choices. We're over halfway through the season now and we are moving into the part of the schedule where without us trusting our QBs and WRs and the rest of the O, whatever their limitations, to be potential playmakers our chances of winning go down appreciably. Our POA didn't work with Iowa and we seemed unready to play overall that day and manhandled so maybe it didn't matter. It didn't work at Michigan and by God is Indiana that much better and experienced than us on O that they can have their way with Michigan's D when we stuck to vanilla and white bread and eventually, predictably, didn't get even come close to getting it done? It wouldn't have worked at NW without the pick six; albeit the referees didn't do much to help the fellas.

Our players aren't dumb. They can see and feel the conservative nature of the game plan that they're being provided to go to battle with and I'm sure that they feel and know that it's because their coaches don't trust them to do more. That must suck. We've thrown the ball on average 17 times per game. Using Wisconsin as a comparison with their dominant run game and a few blowouts they have averaged throwing it 26 times per game with a pedestrian QB who they seem to trust a heck of a lot than we trust our guys. Northern Illinois running basically the same offense as us and still heavy on the run, but admittedly with a Sr. QB is throwing the ball on average 32 times a game. It's time for us to ask out players to put their big boy pants on, take the training wheels off, trust them to ride their bike around the block and maybe even God forbid without a helmet on. I think our players are up to the challenge and will respond favorably. It's all about trust; and getting 8 men out of the box. Without either, it's a tough road to hoe.

is Indiana that much better and experienced than us on O

I have no idea about experienced, but better? Yes, by a lot. Offense has never been Indiana's problem, even when they've been god-awful overall.

Btw, you can quit beating the horse...he's already dead.

Couldn't disagree more. You have no idea that the coaches do not trust the players. Give me a break. I could argue the exact opposite. I sat at Ryan Field on Saturday and watched both of our lines dominate the game. It has a cumulative effect. Near the fourth quarter, the Cats looked whooped.

It appears the Gophers want to run the ball. Baby steps. Saturday was very nice.

By the way, Lou Malnotti's is all that is cracked up to be. Superdawg, not so much.

It's obvious that a lack of trust plays a pretty good size role in Limegrover et al's play calling choices. We're over halfway through the season now and we are moving into the part of the schedule where without us trusting our QBs and WRs and the rest of the O, whatever their limitations, to be potential playmakers our chances of winning go down appreciably. Our POA didn't work with Iowa and we seemed unready to play overall that day and manhandled so maybe it didn't matter. It didn't work at Michigan and by God is Indiana that much better and experienced than us on O that they can have their way with Michigan's D when we stuck to vanilla and white bread and eventually, predictably, didn't get even come close to getting it done? It wouldn't have worked at NW without the pick six; albeit the referees didn't do much to help the fellas.

Our players aren't dumb. They can see and feel the conservative nature of the game plan that they're being provided to go to battle with and I'm sure that they feel and know that it's because their coaches don't trust them to do more. That must suck. We've thrown the ball on average 17 times per game. Using Wisconsin as a comparison with their dominant run game and a few blowouts they have averaged throwing it 26 times per game with a pedestrian QB who they seem to trust a heck of a lot than we trust our guys. Northern Illinois running basically the same offense as us and still heavy on the run, but admittedly with a Sr. QB is throwing the ball on average 32 times a game. It's time for us to ask out players to put their big boy pants on, take the training wheels off, trust them to ride their bike around the block and maybe even God forbid without a helmet on. I think our players are up to the challenge and will respond favorably. It's all about trust; and getting 8 men out of the box. Without either, it's a tough road to hoe.

It's your dream, make it as big as you want...

You're starting down the slippery slope to trolldom, or to at least to be compared with wren. Be careful. Only took you 198 posts. 80% of your posts are uninformed vitriolic drivel.

This offense is designed to complement and protect the defense. A 5th grade coach could figure that out.

Horse beaten.....Horse dead.

Where is Parski to end this thread when we need him?

It's obvious that a lack of trust plays a pretty good size role in Limegrover et al's play calling choices.

Wow, no mention of Limegrover being a p**** or chicken****. You're really growing as a human being.

You're starting down the slippery slope to trolldom, or to at least to be compared with wren. Be careful. Only took you 198 posts. 80% of your posts are uninformed vitriolic drivel.

This offense is designed to complement and protect the defense. A 5th grade coach could figure that out.

It's all about rhythm. The Gophers have matched up well with the teams that want to have a fast paced offense (SJSU, NMSU, Northwestern, even UNLV) because they have slowed down the game, kept opposing offenses off the field, and that hurts the rhythm of teams like that.

For that reason, along with an absolutely horrendous defense, the Gophers match up pretty well with Indiana I think. Indiana will be tough, but if the Gophers manage a handful of 10+ play drives, that will kill the rhythm and timing of the Indiana offense. I still like their chances against PSU as well, and maybe even MSU.

And I still think Nebraska gives the Gophers a good thumping. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I hope I'm UNBELIEVABLY wrong.

It's all about rhythm. The Gophers have matched up well with the teams that want to have a fast paced offense (SJSU, NMSU, Northwestern, even UNLV) because they have slowed down the game, kept opposing offenses off the field, and that hurts the rhythm of teams like that.

For that reason, along with an absolutely horrendous defense, the Gophers match up pretty well with Indiana I think. Indiana will be tough, but if the Gophers manage a handful of 10+ play drives, that will kill the rhythm and timing of the Indiana offense. I still like their chances against PSU as well, and maybe even MSU.

And I still think Nebraska gives the Gophers a good thumping. I guess we'll find out soon enough. I hope I'm UNBELIEVABLY wrong.

I agree with you on those three being decent matchups. I unfortunately think Wisky kills us. I have no idea what to expect from the Nebraska game. I've agreed with you on most stuff this year; hopefully you're horrendously wrong here

You may or may not be right about "trust," but the Gophers are dead last by a wide margin in passing in the conference and they won't win most B10 games without a decent passing attack. Right now, they're averaging one offensive TD per B10 game, which probably means blowouts from Nebraska, Wisconsin and probably Indiana - teams that score a lot, plus they won't be able to run much against MSU. Right now there is a little too much optimism from the NW win. The mood may be very different after Saturday. As you imply, they'll never have a passing game unless they try to develop one.

You may or may not be right about "trust," but the Gophers are dead last by a wide margin in passing in the conference and they won't win most B10 games without a decent passing attack. Right now, they're averaging one offensive TD per B10 game, which probably means blowouts from Nebraska, Wisconsin and probably Indiana - teams that score a lot, plus they won't be able to run much against MSU. Right now there is a little too much optimism from the NW win. The mood may be very different after Saturday. As you imply, they'll never have a passing game unless they try to develop one.

This team was never going to win most of their Big Ten games. That level of play is still a ways off.
And this style of offense will actually probably help us against a team like Indiana. We simply don't have the horses to get into a shootout with them, but if we can slow the game down and control the clock, that's a defense we can definitely wear down.

Soupcan? Is that you?

Absolutely right I'm beating a dead horse; just couldn't help one last salvo and this thread because our O drives me crazy and heck it's a website to talk about the football team and it makes me feel better so what do I care. I do think that our players are much better than they're being given credit for and would like to see the reigns loosened up so they could prove it.

Absolutely right I'm beating a dead horse; just couldn't help one last salvo and this thread because our O drives me crazy and heck it's a website to talk about the football team and it makes me feel better so what do I care. I do think that our players are much better than they're being given credit for and would like to see the reigns loosened up so they could prove it.

Stop.
Good lord. At NIU limegrover oversaw one of the top offenses in the country, but it's not a scheme you will ever accept.
This offense is ALWAYS going to be power run based, with high percentage short passing, and the well timed play action home run attempt. Once a game they'll try a trick play, that's it.
They will never "open it up" and attempt 35 passes, or try an exotic and aggressive home run shot every other play. I suggest you accept that Kill wants an O that can grind the clock down and shorten the game. His formula for beating teams more talented than his is to run the ball, train his players to be tough, smart, and technically sound. The game shortens, the other team makes a mistake or two, the d rushes the passer, and the special teams hits a game winning field goal. W. 20-17.

You may want to try Washington state, I heard they did well on sat throwing the ball 89 times.

Stop.
Good lord. At NIU limegrover oversaw one of the top offenses in the country, but it's not a scheme you will ever accept.
This offense is ALWAYS going to be power run based, with high percentage short passing, and the well timed play action home run attempt. Once a game they'll try a trick play, that's it.
They will never "open it up" and attempt 35 passes, or try an exotic and aggressive home run shot every other play. I suggest you accept that Kill wants an O that can grind the clock down and shorten the game. His formula for beating teams more talented than his is to run the ball, train his players to be tough, smart, and technically sound. The game shortens, the other team makes a mistake or two, the d rushes the passer, and the special teams hits a game winning field goal. W. 20-17.

You may want to try Washington state, I heard they did well on sat throwing the ball 89 times.

+1

we improved against northwestern because we threw more on first down. the playbook opened up a little more and it showed in the throwing dept... we had 14 points off the board due to bs calls.. however we should play both quarterbacks which is something i never thought i would say at any level..we are improving but i feel the reason we run so much to a fault is because it shrinks the game keeps us in it for longer... but i dont like that style,, to improve our offense you have to gradually add more and more to the passing game to let the qb progress

we improved against northwestern because we threw more on first down. the playbook opened up a little more and it showed in the throwing dept... we had 14 points off the board due to bs calls.. however we should play both quarterbacks which is something i never thought i would say at any level..we are improving but i feel the reason we run so much to a fault is because it shrinks the game keeps us in it for longer... but i dont like that style,, to improve our offense you have to gradually add more and more to the passing game to let the qb progress

I don't know if we threw the ball that much more on 1st down. We only threw the ball like 14 times. We were better on offense because we ran the ball well.

The reason we run the ball so much is that we don't have many playmakers in the passing game and their only chance of making a lot of plays is off playaction or when the opponent is guessing run. We are a team that is built a certain way and we've lost three of our best WRs (Barker, DCT and McDonald).

If you were our coach, your lack of confidence in our running game would crush the hopes and dreams of our offensive linemen and running backs and they'd know you were changing our identity because of a lack of confidence.

Does your nonsense argument work for running the ball too or just for "opening it up"?

I don't know if we threw the ball that much more on 1st down. We only threw the ball like 14 times. We were better on offense because we ran the ball well.
The reason we run the ball so much is that we don't have many playmakers in the passing game and their only chance of making a lot of plays is off playaction or when the opponent is guessing run. We are a team that is built a certain way and we've lost three of our best WRs (Barker, DCT and McDonald).

Thought you should look at the stats and reconsider. It's a real stretch to say that 49 rushes for 176 yards, 3.6 per carry, is "running the ball well." Also, 49 rushes, and only 10 rushing 1st downs; zero rushing TDs (20% of rushing plays resulted in 1st down or TD). The passing game, on the other hand, was very efficient: 14 attempts, and 8.8 yards per attempt. Of those 14 attempts, 6 resulted in first downs, and 1 a TD (50% of passing plays resulted in 1st down or TD).

If anything, the efficiency of that passing game that you lament could actually be labeled a success, and one of the main reasons the game resulted in victory. The rushing game accomplished almost nothing other than the two game-clinching first downs on the final drive, the latter of which was actually a trick running play (bootleg), not a typical "inside the box" Limegrover running play.

I won't argue that we don't have many playmakers in the passing game compared to our opponents; however, that doesn't mean that passing at the meager level the team employs it is warranted. At the very least, the team needs to start setting up some simple RB or WR screen plays or other higher-percentage passing plays; along some deep attempts mixed in every once in a while, just to keep the other team's defense honest; as part of the reason the running game is ineffective is that the opposing defenses can just set up play after play to stop it, without repercussion of pass attempts that could expose that strategy.

Team Totals MINN NU
FIRST DOWNS 16 20
Rushing 10 6
Passing 6 12
Penalty 0 2
NET YARDS RUSHING 176 94
Rushing Attempts 49 26
Average Per Rush 3.6 3.6
Rushing Touchdowns 0 1
Yards Gained Rushing 215 114
Yards Lost Rushing 39 20
NET YARDS PASSING 123 234
Completions-Attempts-Int 9-14-0 25-46-2
Average Per Attempt 8.8 5.1
Average Per Completion 13.7 9.4
Passing Touchdowns 1 1
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS 299 328
Total offense plays 63 72
Average Gain Per Play 4.7 4.6
Fumbles: Number-Lost 1-0 1-1
Penalties: Number-Yards 9-89 5-40
PUNTS-YARDS 7-313 6-213
Average Yards Per Punt 44.7 35.5
Net Yards Per Punt 42.4 34.2
Inside 20 2 3
50+ Yards 3 0
Touchbacks 0 0
Fair catch 0 2
KICKOFFS-YARDS 5-310 3-195
Average Yards Per Kickoff 62.0 65.0
Net Yards Per Kickoff 37.4 41.0
Touchbacks 4 2
Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD 2-8-0 2-16-0
Average Per Return 4.0 8.0
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 1-22-0 1-23-0
Average Per Return 22.0 23.0
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD 2-31-1 0-0-0
Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD 0-0-0 0-0-0
Miscellaneous Yards 0 0
Possession Time 35:15 24:45
1st Quarter 9:06 5:54
2nd Quarter 7:58 7:02
3rd Quarter 10:14 4:46
4th Quarter 7:57 7:03
Third-Down Conversions 4 of 13 6 of 16
Fourth-Down Conversions 0 of 0 2 of 2
Red-Zone Scores-Chances 1-1 3-3
Touchdowns 0-1 2-3
Field goals 1-1 1-3
Sacks By: Number-Yards 3-13 3-24
PAT Kicks 2-2 2-2
Field Goals 2-3 1-1

Stop.

I agree with everything you said, but still have a question. Can't they show many, many more wrinkles and formations in the run game? Run the option, run sweeps, run counters, run draws, give it to the full back, fake to the full back and give to RB going a different direction. Remember how the Vikes used to run with Foreman or with Brown and Osborne. Have 25 plus run plays to keep everyone guessing. And get rid of the damn shotgun. To me, it's such a limiting formation and also not as deceptive as going under center. I fully admit that I don't know much about football, but my gut tells me that there are more effective ways to be a running team. And, by the way, I love the Gophers, love the coaching staff and will always be a huge fan.

We're over halfway through the season now and we are moving into the part of the schedule where without us trusting our QBs and WRs and the rest of the O, whatever their limitations, to be potential playmakers our chances of winning go down appreciably.

Unlike most of the posts here, I completely agree with you. Limegrover did open it up a bit against Northwestern, but I think Limegrover is by nature a bit on the anal retentive/controlling side. It's time the players pressed the coaches about opening the offense up.

I agree with everything you said, but still have a question. Can't they show many, many more wrinkles and formations in the run game? Run the option, run sweeps, run counters, run draws, give it to the full back, fake to the full back and give to RB going a different direction. Remember how the Vikes used to run with Foreman or with Brown and Osborne. Have 25 plus run plays to keep everyone guessing. And get rid of the damn shotgun. To me, it's such a limiting formation and also not as deceptive as going under center. I fully admit that I don't know much about football, but my gut tells me that there are more effective ways to be a running team. And, by the way, I love the Gophers, love the coaching staff and will always be a huge fan.

Once the players show the type of execution limegrover and kill demand, then they'll throw more wrinkles in. We still have many underclass men starting, if there's a talented kid not executing, he won't play for kill. Look at Cobb, perfect example. Edwards likely would bring juice to the O also, but missed too much practice to execute the plays like they expect.
We have a soph qb and a fresh qb, we have 3freshmen wr's, a freshman te is our best playmaker, we have a few ol that are 2nd year players, this will take time to develop.
The other thing I've noticed is that once the o clicks under limegrover, the play book will still vary a lot game to game depending on match ups. I saw NIU stat lines where the qb ran 15 times then 3 the next game, where the wr fly sweep was ran 5 times, with a pass mixed in, then not once the next week, etc.
This o is more complicated than I think most realize, and it's all execution and technique based. It will click eventually, maybe not until the players have 3 years under their belts though. It absolutely rolled at NIU once they got all they're starters executing like they demand.

Would have had 6 if Harbison doesn't drop the reverse right before he was going to pitch back to Nelson. Jones was streaking down the sideline wide open. I agree that it's frustrating, but like everything else, opening up the playbook will be done with baby steps. These guys see them everyday in practice and i would hope they would have a grasp on what they are capable of executing. That play, the post to Engel and the 4th down TD that wasn't are proof that baby steps are taking place. Also, this isn't the pro's. These guys can't practice, study film and study the playbook for 12 hours a day.

Recall Chad Spann running over the Goph D at TCF like he was Adrian Peterson 2012? That game is a perfect example of how ClayLimeKill want the O to operate.

This o is more complicated than I think most realize

You are absolutely right.

This whole play calling/trust issue is just dumb. There are 100 and some guys on this team that trust the coaches to put the team in its best position to win each game even if someone's feelings get hurt. The coaches believe a power run game gives the team its best chance to win. The style of offense is not going to change as long as coach Kill is here.

Questioning the play calling of an offense that you don't understand and/or don't like is ridiculous.

Thought you should look at the stats and reconsider. It's a real stretch to say that 49 rushes for 176 yards, 3.6 per carry, is "running the ball well." Also, 49 rushes, and only 10 rushing 1st downs; zero rushing TDs (20% of rushing plays resulted in 1st down or TD). The passing game, on the other hand, was very efficient: 14 attempts, and 8.8 yards per attempt. Of those 14 attempts, 6 resulted in first downs, and 1 a TD (50% of passing plays resulted in 1st down or TD).

If anything, the efficiency of that passing game that you lament could actually be labeled a success, and one of the main reasons the game resulted in victory. The rushing game accomplished almost nothing other than the two game-clinching first downs on the final drive, the latter of which was actually a trick running play (bootleg), not a typical "inside the box" Limegrover running play.

I won't argue that we don't have many playmakers in the passing game compared to our opponents; however, that doesn't mean that passing at the meager level the team employs it is warranted. At the very least, the team needs to start setting up some simple RB or WR screen plays or other higher-percentage passing plays; along some deep attempts mixed in every once in a while, just to keep the other team's defense honest; as part of the reason the running game is ineffective is that the opposing defenses can just set up play after play to stop it, without repercussion of pass attempts that could expose that strategy.

Team Totals MINN NU
FIRST DOWNS 16 20
Rushing 10 6
Passing 6 12
Penalty 0 2
NET YARDS RUSHING 176 94
Rushing Attempts 49 26
Average Per Rush 3.6 3.6
Rushing Touchdowns 0 1
Yards Gained Rushing 215 114
Yards Lost Rushing 39 20
NET YARDS PASSING 123 234
Completions-Attempts-Int 9-14-0 25-46-2
Average Per Attempt 8.8 5.1
Average Per Completion 13.7 9.4
Passing Touchdowns 1 1
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS 299 328
Total offense plays 63 72
Average Gain Per Play 4.7 4.6
Fumbles: Number-Lost 1-0 1-1
Penalties: Number-Yards 9-89 5-40
PUNTS-YARDS 7-313 6-213
Average Yards Per Punt 44.7 35.5
Net Yards Per Punt 42.4 34.2
Inside 20 2 3
50+ Yards 3 0
Touchbacks 0 0
Fair catch 0 2
KICKOFFS-YARDS 5-310 3-195
Average Yards Per Kickoff 62.0 65.0
Net Yards Per Kickoff 37.4 41.0
Touchbacks 4 2
Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD 2-8-0 2-16-0
Average Per Return 4.0 8.0
Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 1-22-0 1-23-0
Average Per Return 22.0 23.0
Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD 2-31-1 0-0-0
Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD 0-0-0 0-0-0
Miscellaneous Yards 0 0
Possession Time 35:15 24:45
1st Quarter 9:06 5:54
2nd Quarter 7:58 7:02
3rd Quarter 10:14 4:46
4th Quarter 7:57 7:03
Third-Down Conversions 4 of 13 6 of 16
Fourth-Down Conversions 0 of 0 2 of 2
Red-Zone Scores-Chances 1-1 3-3
Touchdowns 0-1 2-3
Field goals 1-1 1-3
Sacks By: Number-Yards 3-13 3-24
PAT Kicks 2-2 2-2
Field Goals 2-3 1-1

Since I'm brand new here, I don't want to step into the middle of a long term battle over the offensive game plan. However, couldn't you argue that one of the reasons the passing game was efficient Saturday was because the Gophers had some success running the ball between the tackles?

A team which runs the ball well (especially in controlled, grinding offense) should see defensive schemes which will allow for efficient passing numbers. If you go away from the run and allow the defense to cover your somewhat over-matched pass catchers, you may be biting off your nose to spite your face.

It is the nature of being a fan to second guess the play calling and system. Throughout this season we keep hearing fans banging on the concept of "opening the playbook", like there is some magical formula that is suddenly going to make our offense explosive.

The bottom line is the coaches see these players everyday in practice, they run the same plays (granted not at game speed) over and over again in practice and they know first hand what the players can and can not execute. From a philosophical standpoint they are going to run a reasonably conservative attack, but I am sick of hearing people act like the coaches are intentionally holding the offense back. If they thought they had the playmakers to go score quickly every time they would do it and wouldn't look back, the reality is they know they are lacking some at the QB and WR positions specifically and are tailoring the offense to play a style that they feel will give them the best chance to win with what they have.

Their system is what it is, the question is whether or not it will work in the Big Ten, and will they be able to find/develop enough talent to compete with the teams we are measured against.

Thought you should look at the stats and reconsider. It's a real stretch to say that 49 rushes for 176 yards, 3.6 per carry, is "running the ball well."

Ummmm.... I'm going to beg to differ. Whenever the Gophers run the ball 49 times, I'm going to venture to say they will win. In the two BT losses, they averaged running the ball 34 times and passing 23; in what many would consider their best two wins of the season (SJSU and NU), they averaged running it 58 times and throwing it 13.

As painful as it may be to watch at times, and whether we agree with it or not, this is the strategy they are rolling with this year. It may evolve more towards the end of the season but this is what they've elected to do with a couple of 19-20 year old QB's; minimize risk, shorten the game, wear down the opponent up front, and be in the game in the 4th quarter.

I think the injury to Nelson, while it helped the progression of Mitch, probably stalled the development of the offense for a good 3-4 weeks. Hopefully Nelson stays healthy for the rest of the way and the offense starts to hit it's stride down the stretch.

Top Bottom