Traveling Trophy - Old Oaken Corn Axe of Rosedale

Law_Abiding_Gopher

10th Year Senior
Reaction score
Maybe I'm late to the party, but I whole heartedly think we should establish a traveling trophy with our new red and white friends to the Southwest. When Penn State joined the Big Ten the "Governor's Victory Bell" was established. I would think a traveling trophy with a much more logical rival new to our fine conference would be pretty exciting.

No. Unless there's a relic remaining from the old days when the Gophers and Huskers played. The Victory Bell is the most pointless trophy in sports.

To the winner: Their home will be called "Memorial Stadium"
To the loser: Their home will be named after a local financial institution.

Mutual of Omaha Stadium, anyone?!

Well...if Brett BigEnema wants it, I think we should do everything in our power to make sure that does not happen.

No. Unless there's a relic remaining from the old days when the Gophers and Huskers played. The Victory Bell is the most pointless trophy in sports.

Tipsy, Lloyd and I stole the Victory Bell a few years back. No one noticed, so we returned it.

I have heard a good name for the Iowa - Nebraska game...

Farmageddon.

The jug is a real water jug, from Minnesota, purchased by Michigan. It's inherently connected to both states. The Axe, is a link to the shared legend of Paul Bunyan, important to both Minnesota and Wisconsin. (Paul himself is Minnesotan. He only went to Wisconsin to visit the Dells) The Pig was originally an Iowa Pig, won by the Gophers and named for the Minnesota Governor and the Iowa farm the pig came from.

None of these are conventional trophies. The Bell is pretty much a generic trophy. It's bland. You would have no idea that it is for something special. One thing that galls me about it is that it uses the Victory Bell. While the Victory Bell is an important icon to all Americans, it's especially an icon for Pennsylvania. So, we have this generic trophy, which celebrates a cultural icon of one state, but not of the other.

I mean no disrespect to Penn State. Beating Penn State is great, but that's just from beating a respected team. Winning the Bell just doesn't add that much to it. With the Jug, the Axe and the Pig, that makes it big no matter what the records are. Nebraska and Minnesota were once rivals. I think a 5th trophy would be pretty absurd though. If we did have one, it shouldn't be generic, it should be something important to both states.

Top Bottom