Tracy Claeys on Sports Huddle 10-23-16

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Sid: you played Penn State as good as anybody. Iowa almost beat Wisconsin.
TC: lot of parity. we're not that far apart. never know what's going to happen. play hard, play for 4 quarters, do things right, and have an opportunity to win. We started well yesterday, hit a point where we had trouble stopping the run. In the end, our offense went down the field on last series and gave us opportunity to win. didn't give up - kept fighting.

Sid: background on Carpenter?
TC: a walk-on. lot of people don't like to put money on kickers. done a tremendous job. gotta have short memory. put it through the uprights. had a good year.

Sid: is he on scholarship?
TC: not yet. we'll do what we can to address situation after season. it all comes down to counting, if we have space for it.

Sid: what happened to punter? bad punt led to TD.
TC: gotta be ready when you're called on. left us with short field. that hurt us. he's talented - had good kicks before. gotta do it every time.

Sid: no-huddle offense (by Rutgers)?
TC: some of that QB running game, unbalanced sets. got to be on toes - make sure you have leverage. not the easiest thing in the world. things we can do to improve. lot of people going to that type of offense - unbalanced stuff. causes issues. I thought we made good adjustments in 2nd half. gotta avoid turnovers on offense.

Sid: surprising - 3rd-and-1's couldn't make.
TC: give up INT for TD - four short yardage plays didn't get done. going to have to look at changing cadence. they (Rutgers) were moving defensive line late, right before snap. got to get better at (adjusting). If we want to finish season strong, have to be able to get those (short-yardage) downs.

Dave: got up 21-3. (did team get complacent?)
TC: I was pretty agressive at halftime. missed tackles after we got the big lead. miss a tackle and 3rd & 7 becomes 3rd & 2. hit a span where 1st and 2nd guy was missing. I think we relaxed a little bit. They (Rutgers) kept playing hard. We acted like we thought they would fold. Good to get out of gate early - need to sustain energy.

Sid: O-line people hurt?
TC: our biggest concern. have to play kids who aren't ready to play. do what we can to get guys back. next guy up. if you get put in game, we expect you to get job done. need a couple guys to step up.

Dave: Lingen?
TC: we'll find out this afternoon.

Sid: only 17 scholarships (available for next year)?
TC: we can oversign by 3 - puts us at 20. we're a young team. lot of FR and SO playing and playing well. we had SR's make mistakes. I expect them to bounce back. Fun to look out and see all those younger guys playing. Got to find right 17 guys who fit in with what we need.

Sid: redshirt squad?
TC: some talented kids. we'll address where they're at after season. right now, concerned with getting ready for games. they're (redshirts) concerned with scout-team stuff during season. once season gets over, see how their roles fit.

Dave: targeting?
TC: part of that rule - got to be something that covers for (hits that are) unavoidable. tough situation. throwing kids out of games. I hope they'll look at it. (with Lynn out for 1st half of next game) Young guys going to have to work on playing in box - Coughlin and Martin to get through 1st half.

Sid: inexperienced secondary?
TC: try to do things those kids do best. for most part - gave up 26 points - they (Rutgers) had nice 90-yard drive. we muffed a punt - defense held them to a FG. allowed us to go down and kick FG to win. Hopefully we'll get a few kids back.

(FWIW - after Claeys' segment done, Dave took a text question from someone complaining about "accepting mediocrity." Next caller was complaining about play-calling and Leidner's play.)

Sid - if you go back to start of Jerry Kill's tenure, this was worst game Gophers played.

Thanks SON. Those darn fans still accepting mediocrity. They are the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I caught the tail end of the show. Sid called Coach Claeys Troy. That's a new one.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Very much appreciated.

Sid - if you go back to start of Jerry Kill's tenure, this was worst game Gophers played.

Not sure about that. We've had some stinkers way worse than this one. I've mostly blocked them from my memory.

That South Dakota game comes to mind. Rutgers was ugliest Win though.

SD was under Brewster. Kent State and Ohio last year were ugly wins. I would call last years 27-0 loss st NW a worse played game than this one.
That NW game was the ugliest loss I've seen in the Kill era.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ugly

That NW game was the ugliest loss I've seen in the Kill era.

There have been a few ugly games. That first Jerry year after playing USC tough, losing to New Mexico St was a tough day. Then a couple games later in 2011 on the roller coaster we lost to Michigan 58-0 and that was not pretty. Pretty much all our games this year have been ugly. Just my opinion, but we have the talent now to play much better than we are. I don't feel that was always true.

We are no longer in the Kill era.

Sid sounds like a typical poster here. Let's look solely at Minnesota's scoring output and results from this season alone:

Oregon St. 30 W
Indiana St. 58 W
Colorado St. 31 W
Penn St. 26 L
Iowa 7 L
Maryland 31 W
Rutgers 34 W

We've scored less than 26 exactly one time this year and are averaging 31 points per game (35 ppg in the non-Iowa games). Gee, I wonder which was our worst game this year? Really, really stupid take by Sid in a long, long line of them. Rutgers wasn't even the worst game of the Claeys era, let alone adding in the false construct of the "Kill era".

Sid sounds like a typical poster here. Let's look solely at Minnesota's scoring output and results from this season alone:

Oregon St. 30 W
Indiana St. 58 W
Colorado St. 31 W
Penn St. 26 L
Iowa 7 L
Maryland 31 W
Rutgers 34 W

We've scored less than 26 exactly one time this year and are averaging 31 points per game (35 ppg in the non-Iowa games). Gee, I wonder which was our worst game this year? Really, really stupid take by Sid in a long, long line of them. Rutgers wasn't even the worst game of the Claeys era, let alone adding in the false construct of the "Kill era".
+1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

And 30.4 if you throw out the high and low....

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

He called him Troy

I caught the tail end of the show. Sid called Coach Claeys Troy. That's a new one.

Sid called coach, 'Troy" three times during that interview. He is starting to sound senial on the radio. He does well for his age but Sid is starting to really lose it.

We are no longer in the Kill era.

Can we then stop stating that the staff is adept at finding diamonds in the rough and coaching up talent? It seems less than intellectually honest to talk about the staff in those positive terms (some posters, not necessarily you) while simultaneously saying the regime is in their first year.", etc.

How much of Kill's ability to get us back on solid footing his doing and how much is attributable to his staff? I dunno.

There is no black and white answer here but it seems like there is some talking out of both sides of the mouth re the staff (not you specifically but some posts here).

Oregon St. 30 W
Indiana St. 58 W
Colorado St. 31 W
Penn St. 26 L
Iowa 7 L
Maryland 31 W
Rutgers 34 W

Well, seems like the defense has been the issue with our two losses. Penalties as well. Obviously there is a lot more that goes into a successful team than how many points we scored.

Well, seems like the defense has been the issue with our two losses. Penalties as well. Obviously there is a lot more that goes into a successful team than how many points we scored.

Defense was the issue in the Iowa loss? The game where we gave up 14 points?

Clearly, there is a lot more that goes into a successful team than how many points we scored. Given that we have two losses this year, those are our two worst games by any reasonable standard. It seems pretty self-evident in which of the two games we played worse. A win is never ever worse than a loss, regardless of what Sid or anyone else says.

Top Bottom