Tracy Claeys: "I'm not going to relax until the Axe comes back."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He had better not relax once the Axe comes back.

He had better not relax once the Axe comes back.
Ease up, you know that Coach Claeys idea of to relax, is to have a second beer before going back to work the next day.

Updated article per Joe:

"Obviously we're excited about where we've been," said Claeys, the team's defensive coordinator and associate head coach. "Last year we accomplished some things that hadn't been done in over 40 years. At the same time, we all agree, we think we can do better.

"I know one thing: me personally, I'm not going to relax until that that Axe comes back."

This drew big cheers from the crowd of about 150 at Johnny O'Neil's Green Lake Social. The Gophers are riding an 11-game losing streak against Wisconsin and are on a mission to reclaim Paul Bunyan's Axe.

Claeys said another goal is to finish with a bowl game victory. The Gophers are 0-7 in bowls since defeating Alabama in the 2004 Music City Bowl.

"For the first time last year, we had a group of kids who competed their tail ends off for all four quarters," Claeys said. "Could we have played smarter? Yeah, we made some crucial mistakes defensively in the fourth quarter of some games that cost us. That's my responsibility. We've got to practice better and we've got to play better.

"Going into this year, defensively, we've got a lot of kids back. Offensively we'll continue to develop. Mitch [Leidner] had a great spring for us. Across the board, we'll have more players with [Big Ten experience], and I'll be disappointed if our results a the end of the year aren't better."

http://www.startribune.com/claeys-says-he-won-t-relax-until-that-axe-comes-back/305219421/

Go Gophers!!

Really like the way Kill and his staff controlled expectations from day one. He laid it out for us that it wasn't going to be pretty starting out. Then we went into the, "We've improved, but we still have a ways to go." Now, from comments at the end of last season and through this spring, it feels like another step. They have higher expectations and it's okay for us to have higher expectations. Just an air of confidence that really has me looking forward to this year.

Really like the way Kill and his staff controlled expectations from day one. He laid it out for us that it wasn't going to be pretty starting out. Then we went into the, "We've improved, but we still have a ways to go." Now, from comments at the end of last season and through this spring, it feels like another step. They have higher expectations and it's okay for us to have higher expectations. Just an air of confidence that really has me looking forward to this year.

Couldn't agree more. Kill and his staff have spewed genuine confidence rather than blind arrogance like Brewster's Rose Bowl pep speech....lol

Top Bottom