Tracy Claeys extension

GuyFawkes

Win or Lose, WE DRINK!
Reaction score
Word is the extension was never finalized and that it might not happen anymore and the U has been careful to not mention the word extension when it comes to Claeys since the fallout.

Pure Speculation on my part, is that Claeys is only around currently to keep the situation from escalating even more through the Bowl game, and likely will be gone afterwards.

What if they win?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firing Tracy would be brain dead stupid. The AD, and regents made a decision. Nothing changed except an outcry because of horrible leadership by Coyle and Kaler. If Tracy is fired we are close to an intramural team playing in the Big Ten.
Players will leave in support. Assistants will leave or be fired. Nobody in their right mind with a quality background takes this job with that leadership, no recruiting class (not hiring someone in a couple weeks), and very few returning players if Tracy is gone and the assistants follow. They will all stand together with a statement of departure.

Firing Tracy would be brain dead stupid. The AD, and regents made a decision. Nothing changed except an outcry because of horrible leadership by Coyle and Kaler. If Tracy is fired we are close to an intramural team playing in the Big Ten.
Players will leave in support. Assistants will leave or be fired. Nobody in their right mind with a quality background takes this job with that leadership, no recruiting class (not hiring someone in a couple weeks), and very few returning players if Tracy is gone and the assistants follow. They will all stand together with a statement of departure.

Yep..like it or not Tracy earned street cred by the way he backed his players and they respect him for that. That tweet may have been career suicide at the U but by doing so he can directly point out to any new recruit either at the U or another college that he stands up for his players. That's a heck of a story to tell a kid, and a great recruiting tool. Name a handful of coaches in major college football that stuck their necks out like that for the team and told them I could get fired for this, I can't think of one.

If the U dumps Tracy now I could see it being complete chaos. We would certainly be fielding a intramural team out there. I liked Tracy before, yeah he needs some polishing but it will come, but the way he manned up was ballsy. Not many coaches would do that. Even tonight, he went on television and did the interviews and did it well. He has looked much better in my opinion then Kahler and Coyles.

Yep..like it or not Tracy earned street cred by the way he backed his players and they respect him for that. That tweet may have been career suicide at the U but by doing so he can directly point out to any new recruit either at the U or another college that he stands up for his players. That's a heck of a story to tell a kid, and a great recruiting tool. Name a handful of coaches in major college football that stuck their necks out like that for the team and told them I could get fired for this, I can't think of one.

If the U dumps Tracy now I could see it being complete chaos. We would certainly be fielding a intramural team out there. I liked Tracy before, yeah he needs some polishing but it will come, but the way he manned up was ballsy. Not many coaches would do that. Even tonight, he went on television and did the interviews and did it well. He has looked much better in my opinion then Kahler and Coyles.

I mean the flip side of that is the Mom looks at him and says you are ok with my kid doing what?

It's all about perception, some of you see Claey's move as positive because you view the situation as such. Others view it as a clear cut negative cause they view it completely differently.

Bottom line is, we're fielding an intramural team next year regardless.

There was a CEO who I heard speak once... Clean ups are better when you tear it down to the studs...

If they win the bowl game after all this it may be hard to let him go. Unless they have already made contact with someone like Les Miles and have them lined up and ready after the bowl game, I think he stays.

My support for Coach Claeys shifted to the no column based on the recruit.

Recruit visits ares the heart of exercising institutional control and that one failed the test.

Someone should at a minimum be demoted and at worst be removed from the program...and that also goes for the player mentor assigned to that kid (and yes, a 17 year old is a kid here). The most senior player at that scene is the most culpable in my opinion.

Ultimately, the buck should stop at the top. I'm just not sure where the "top is" for all this.

Recruit visits ares the heart of exercising institutional control and that one failed the test.

Someone should at a minimum be demoted and at worst be removed from the program...and that also goes for the player mentor assigned to that kid (and yes, a 17 year old is a kid here). The most senior player at that scene is the most culpable in my opinion.

Ultimately, the buck should stop at the top. I'm just not sure where the "top is" for all this.

Easy. It's stops at Kaler.

Claeys was sure to be fired for Mitch's concussion, some games lost at the last min, any other of the many many reasons given on GH.... and then there was talk from the U about an extension and the AD supporting Claeys....

But now we're back to thinking no extension.

Does anyone actually know Coyle and have a clue what is up or are folks just looking at recent events and making up their own narrative?

New Year's Prediction

Rutgers:

Kill Offensive Coordinator
Claeys Defensive Coordinator

Gophers 2 -10

Happy New Year!

Jim Tressel is available again.

Bo and him come together to the U.

I like it!

Let's just call this what it is... It's a circus, time to embrace it.

Claeys was sure to be fired for Mitch's concussion, some games lost at the last min, any other of the many many reasons given on GH.... and then there was talk from the U about an extension and the AD supporting Claeys....

But now we're back to thinking no extension.

Does anyone actually know Coyle and have a clue what is up or are folks just looking at recent events and making up their own narrative?

There was never talk from the U about an extension. That was purely media and GH speculation.

When asked, Coyle said that they were working on an extension.

Coyle issued a statement that said, in part: “He is our head football coach. As is the case with every one of our head coaches, he has my full support.”

“Our football program has now won eight games in the regular season three times in four seasons,” Coyle’s statement said. “We expect that our program will continue to grow and I am committed to putting us in a position to do so.

“This includes working with Coach Claeys to evaluate where we need to improve and what each of us can do to ensure we meet our expectations.”

Where does it say contract extension in that?

Remember in one of the Hot Seat polls, I commented that I can never vote 100% because s#!* happens?

Does this constitute s#!*?

Right there with you.

Regardless of all the talk about this being bigger than football, neither EK nor MC are idiots. They know the resurgence in football has been important to the University community. No way they throw the baby out with the bathwater. Let's see how this plays out. Get crushed in the bowl game, expulsions/suspensions upheld, and players announce en masse they're transferring, then yeah, Claeys might get fired. But a January coaching search is far from ideal.

I'm guessing MC does want to hire his own guy...but the more convenient way to do this would be to negotiate another low, low buyout extension, let the team struggle next year (they undoubtedly will), facilities one year closer to completion, and a new crop of hungry (starving?) coaching candidates. Boom. Drop the hammer in November citing on-field performance. Unless we go 8-4 again :)

I mean the flip side of that is the Mom looks at him and says you are ok with my kid doing what?

It's all about perception, some of you see Claey's move as positive because you view the situation as such. Others view it as a clear cut negative cause they view it completely differently.

Bottom line is, we're fielding an intramural team next year regardless.

There was a CEO who I heard speak once... Clean ups are better when you tear it down to the studs...

I think the point is that the administration knew the details of this situation when the extension talks were made public...certainly could can him now but how do they explain it with any real credibility.

This is how I feel as well.

Top Bottom