Tracy Claeys deserves the game ball

Sparlimb

Reaction score
He has made better half time adjustments in his 3 years here than any other coordinator I remember. I've seen teams gash us plenty on the same play in many a first half. Usually, those teams used those same plays in the 2nd half to just the same results. But Claeys has turned things around in a number of games and what he's done with this defense is amazing. Both Texas Tech last year and San Jose St this year are great examples. Anyway, shout out to a coach who is shining!

This is the best defense that I have witnessed as a gopher fan. It is unquestionable that Claeys is the best defensive coordinator MN has had in a long long time.

And here I missed the 3rd quarter running an errand. I gather he made some adjustments that really turned things around. I agree he's the best defensive coordinator we've had here in a long, long, long, long time.

Clearly a 'bend but don't break' strategy. They had nearly 300 yds passing at the half and prolly at least 6 30+ Yd completions in the game. But it worked. A lot easier to defend 30 yds with 11 guys. I'll interpret it as a smart way to match their strength with minimum weakness on our part.

Claey's did a great job with adjustments at the half, but for me, there is one place the game ball goes to and that is our offensive line. They beat the h3ll out of SJSU for 60 minutes.

Claey's did a great job with adjustments at the half, but for me, there is one place the game ball goes to and that is our offensive line. They beat the h3ll out of SJSU for 60 minutes.

Absolutely right. Every play happened on the defensive side of the ball. 0-2 yd runs become 2-4, 3 yd runs become 5. Huge over the course of a game. 3rd and 1 is a first down instead, etc..

How about the o-line & claeys get the game ball?! :)

It's obvious we have some of the best athletes we've had on defense in a long time. I'm really starting to buy in to the defensive philosophy here.

Clearly a 'bend but don't break' strategy. They had nearly 300 yds passing at the half and prolly at least 6 30+ Yd completions in the game. But it worked. A lot easier to defend 30 yds with 11 guys. I'll interpret it as a smart way to match their strength with minimum weakness on our part.

I think it was the opposite of that in the first half. We got caught on a couple blitzes and they have a really impressive QB. They had a lot of big plays. The "bend don't break" was more the other games.

The second half was pretty lights out.

Fales is big time. That's for sure. A LOT of beautiful passes.

Fales is big time. That's for sure. A LOT of beautiful passes.

Agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing on Sundays in the future. Couldn't really gauge his arm strength, but he really throws a nice medium deep ball and he hooked up on a long one as well.

I think it was the opposite of that in the first half. We got caught on a couple blitzes and they have a really impressive QB. They had a lot of big plays. The "bend don't break" was more the other games. The second half was pretty lights out.

+1. Bob. This sums up my thoughts exactly!

Agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing on Sundays in the future. Couldn't really gauge his arm strength, but he really throws a nice medium deep ball and he hooked up on a long one as well.

Him and a couple receivers that would look nice in Maroon was all they had. Their OLine wasn't particularily good (although I don't think we had a sack) and their defense was pretty awful all game long. That is their achilles heal.

I saw Rick Spielman before the game after the MN epilepsy rally heading into the stadium when I was on my way back to the tailgate lot. Wonder if he was scouting? :)

I agree they played well after halftime.

But the defensive adjustments seem to junk the original game plan--which was to blitz--and go back to the soft front we played last year.

Game ball to goes to offensive game plan which kept the ball in our hands for most of the game!

I thought he ripped that one touchdown (their first?) pretty well. The one that was right over the middle and caught the receiver in stride. Not sure how much it showed arm strength, but his release took about a milli-second. And it was off the back foot it looked to me.

I thought he ripped that one touchdown (their first?) pretty well. The one that was right over the middle and caught the receiver in stride. Not sure how much it showed arm strength, but his release took about a milli-second.

You're right about that one. It was hard to tell on the others because he lofted them in so well and really led his receiver on those inside/out routes. He's someone to watch. What made me think he has a chance is that while SJSU passes a lot, they don't do it out of one of those "touch football" offenses. He's in at least a modified pro set.

Cleays for Governor! Seriously, I can't think of another defensive coordinator I'd trade him for. I'm beginning to think that someday (many years from now) Kill will turn the reigns over to Claeys.

Go Gophers!

For all the yards through the air, interesting they were just 1 for 9 on third downs. Still can't believe they ran the ball on that 3rd and 4 early in the game.

Considering his decision making and accuracy, I definitely think he's got the arm strength to play in the NFL. Man, does he make quick reads and get the ball out fast! Pretty impressive. And the touchdown throws to Jones were put on a dime, especially the ball down the sideline where Wells was in coverage. The one thing I'd question is how productive he'd be in a pro style offense. The SJSU offense is pretty QB friendly, a lot of shotgun, and things can change with a QB when he has to take the ball under center.

It's obvious we have some of the best athletes we've had on defense in a long time. I'm really starting to buy in to the defensive philosophy here.

This

Personally I like Claeys as a potential head coach. He doesn't fit the image of one but I think behind the scenes he has a greater impact than we are led to believe.

Personally I like Claeys as a potential head coach. He doesn't fit the image of one but I think behind the scenes he has a greater impact than we are led to believe.

I agree. Of all the guys on this staff, he seems to be the one that would be mostly highly sought. It's hard to tell on that though. I don't have any access to the assistant coaching grapevine and how they are assessed. He is a very good defensive coordinator.

Top Bottom