Top Juniors and Junior Day Updates

vames

Reaction score
Just posted update on GI. Thought I would share on this board as well regarding our top juniors:

Jon Pirsig, Philip Nelson, and Andre McDonald all with offers should be invited/will be attending. As well as current committment - Nick Rallis.

- Kendrik Brewster, 5’11 185, RB, Cretin-Derham Hall (5A) - Attended US Army National Combine. Invited to Minnesota junior day.

- Taylor Montero, 6’4 215, WR, Cretin-Derham Hall (5A) - Invited to Minnesota and Wisconsin junior days.

- Maxx Williams, 6’4 225, Athlete, Waconia (3A) - Attended Iowa junior days. Invited to Minnesota and Wisconsin junior days. In 9 games, had 57 solo tackles and 1 interception. As QB had 151 carries for 1268 yards for 8.4 ypc and 18 TDs. Recorded a 4.7 40-yard time, 32” vertical, and 3.6 GPA.

- Joe Mollberg, 6’4 220, QB, Detroit Lakes (4A) - Invited to Minnesota junior day. Invited to Iowa Junior Day, but did not attend.

- Andrew Larson, 5’11 190, RB, Eden Prairie (5A) - Invited to Minnesota, Harvard, and Dartmouth junior days. In 13 games for 11-2 Eden Prairie, had 215 carries for 1689 yards for 169 ypg, 7.9 ypc, and 21 TDs. Runs a 4.4 40-yard dash. Has a 3.91 GPA.

- Jonathan Harden, 5’11 300, DL, Cretin-Derham Hall (5A) - Attended US Army National Combine and Iowa junior day. Invited to Minnesota and Michigan State junior day.

* New Name - Drake Michaelson, 6’1 205, LB, Eden Prairie (5) - Has received junior day invites from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan State.

Others receivin interest and attended Iowa/National Combine, but not confired Junior Day invites:

Charles Webb, 5’11 175, CB, Minnetonka (5A) - Attended Iowa junior day. Has received recruiting contact from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Missouri, Virginia Tech, and Michigan State.

Tavaughn Blair, 5’9 175, CB, Hopkins (5A) - Attended Iowa junior day.

Adam Bungum, 6’2 180, Triton ? Invited to US Army National Combine. Receiving interest from Army and Air Force.

Zach Johnson, 6’4 290, OL, Eastview - Receiving interest from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.

Chase Roullier, 6’4 255, OL, Burnsville (5A) - Invited to US Army National Combine.

Nick Parker, 6’5 330, South Saint Paul - Receiving recruiting interest from Wisconsin and Iowa State.

I am guessing Karmichal Dunbar, Isaac Hayes, and Emeche Wells should be receiving interest as well, but no updates.

Thanks vames, of the guys on this list, which ones do you see gaining multiple big ten offers?

2012 is really an interesting year in MN football recruiting there are just a lot of really interesting kids. One thing that is just really interesting is the number of enormous OL prospects. I think a lot of them are projected as "projects" but there are a lot of guys 6'5" plus with the frame to hold 325-330 (without being out of shape), and most of them are basketball players. I'm not saying that automatically makes them great athletes, it just can be indicative of them being pretty good athletes for being 6'5" 280 lbs at 17 yrs old.

Another thing....Joe Mollberg might be becoming my favorite prospect in this class. He has openly been talking about how much he wants to be a Gopher for awhile now, is a talented kid, and was invited and didn't go to Iowa camp (I have no idea why he didn't go, this is kind of tongue in cheek).

Thanks vames, of the guys on this list, which ones do you see gaining multiple big ten offers?

For me...

I think Nelson, Webb, Pirsig, Williams (probably), Montero, Z. Johnson (probably), Dunbar, McDonald, and Harden all have a very good chance of receiving multiple Big 10 or other BCS conference offers.

There are a number of kids that are less polished but really talented and I wouldn't be shocked to see their stock rise as well. (Rallis probably would too if he seemed to be wavering).

2012 is really an interesting year in MN football recruiting there are just a lot of really interesting kids. One thing that is just really interesting is the number of enormous OL prospects. I think a lot of them are projected as "projects" but there are a lot of guys 6'5" plus with the frame to hold 325-330 (without being out of shape), and most of them are basketball players. I'm not saying that automatically makes them great athletes, it just can be indicative of them being pretty good athletes for being 6'5" 280 lbs at 17 yrs old.

Another thing....Joe Mollberg might be becoming my favorite prospect in this class. He has openly been talking about how much he wants to be a Gopher for awhile now, is a talented kid, and was invited and didn't go to Iowa camp (I have no idea why he didn't go, this is kind of tongue in cheek).

And he turned down Iowa's junior day proposal. Big plus right there.

This is interesting

Regarding players that have potential for multiple B10 offers, I leave it up to the coaches and recruiters to determine that. At MinnesotaPreps.com, we are trying to assist players by covering down of high school recruiting throughout the year, putting up videos, and keeping their profile.

However in order for the players to be competitive for a scholarship, I think it is important for the players to attend junior days, work hard in the offseason on skills and speed/strength, attend summer camps/combines, keep up the grades, and have a solid senior season.

Interesting that Charles Webb hasn't received an offer yet as Minnetonka Coach Nelson felt he was the best player on the team....hence better than Farrow.

As previous poster mentioned, we have four guys that are 6'8/6'9 around 300. I agree that if they can move on the BB court, they have the foot skills to play at the next level. They may be projects and not start as freshman, but there is a ton of potential.

In addition, it is interesting to "uncover" the talent outstate. I don't think these players get much media attention, hence have been the backbone of Duluth, St. John's, St. Cloud, etc.

I think Molberg would be a good fit in the Kill offense.

Just posted update on GI. Thought I would share on this board as well regarding our top juniors:

- Kendrik Brewster, 5’11 185, RB, Cretin-Derham Hall (5A) - Attended US Army National Combine. Invited to Minnesota junior day.

- Taylor Montero, 6’4 215, WR, Cretin-Derham Hall (5A) - Invited to Minnesota and Wisconsin junior days.

- Andrew Larson, 5’11 190, RB, Eden Prairie (5A) - Invited to Minnesota, Harvard, and Dartmouth junior days. In 13 games for 11-2 Eden Prairie, had 215 carries for 1689 yards for 169 ypg, 7.9 ypc, and 21 TDs. Runs a 4.4 40-yard dash. Has a 3.91 GPA.

- Jonathan Harden, 5’11 300, DL, Cretin-Derham Hall (5A) - Attended US Army National Combine and Iowa junior day. Invited to Minnesota and Michigan State junior day.

Brewster is a really slippery back, has a knack for making a 0 yard gain a 5 yard gain.

Not a huge Montero guy myself, it could be that his QB wasn't that great last year....but other than running by the occasional guy and having good size he seems a bit overrated to me.

Would be good to get Larson for the EP pipeline alone. Really smart kid, worst case scenario he boosts team GPA, is a hard worker, and ends up being a solid special teams player....best case scenario he turns into something good.

Jonathan Harden.....the difference between Cretin the last 3 years that are state title contenders and the cretin between Mauer-07 that wasn't really a threat to win the whole deal is the fact that they have started to play good defense....that starts up front. They have the ability to dominate teams. I have not watched him specifically, but their DL as a whole is as good as any in the state right now.

Brewster is a really slippery back, has a knack for making a 0 yard gain a 5 yard gain.

Not a huge Montero guy myself, it could be that his QB wasn't that great last year....but other than running by the occasional guy and having good size he seems a bit overrated to me.

Would be good to get Larson for the EP pipeline alone. Really smart kid, worst case scenario he boosts team GPA, is a hard worker, and ends up being a solid special teams player....best case scenario he turns into something good.

Jonathan Harden.....the difference between Cretin the last 3 years that are state title contenders and the cretin between Mauer-07 that wasn't really a threat to win the whole deal is the fact that they have started to play good defense....that starts up front. They have the ability to dominate teams. I have not watched him specifically, but their DL as a whole is as good as any in the state right now.

Is harden really only 5'9 or 5'10? If so that will severely hinder him at the next level.

Received a note, he measure 5'10 3/4 down at National Combine. Close enough for me for 5'11. I watched him play against Mounds View during the regular season and he almost single handly shut down their running game with plugging up the middle and constantly being in the backfield.

Is harden really only 5'9 or 5'10? If so that will severely hinder him at the next level.

He is, but you have to keep in mind that unlike a lot of players, Harden's size measurements come directly from a combine (so they aren't inflated). Harden is 5'10", but I don't think he is really 5" shorter than Karmichael Dunbar.

As far as Rosemountain's analysis, Harden really was the difference between the "good" Cretin teams and the championship Cretin teams (that can compete and beat EP). He is going to be a good Big 10 caliber DT, I hope some schools get scared away because of his height.

I am also a little on the other side of the fence between Brewster and Montero. I think Brewster is a very good HS RB and I wouldn't be upset if he got a scholarship to the U, but I don't think he will be a big difference maker in the Big 10. He lacks ideal size or speed. He is a smart runner, but I don't know if he has the measureables to be a big time back. I could be wrong.

As far as Montero, I think he is the real deal at TE. He is able to block as good as any TE at Cretin since probably even before MArcus Freeman (played at Notre Dame), and he looks like a legit WR when he is in the open field. I just think guys that project out to be 6'5" 230 lbs as true freshman, who can run, catch the ball and aren't afraid to block are a rare commodity.

Top Bottom