Top 10 MN HS recruits by recruiting service

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
spjhp2.jpg

Davidson really shouldn't count against Kill & Co as one that "got away." He just happened to be passing through the State as a high school senior. No question he is fine football player and I'm happy for him that he gets to attend a great place for both school and football. The way I see it, Johnson is the only one that "got away" and best of luck to him too.

Consequently, Kill got 7 of the top 8 players in the state including the top 3 or 4 players in the State. That's an in-state recruiting coup!

Go Gophers!

In any year, I think it's important to keep as many kids at home if you can, as long as you think they are solid players and you're not offering them just because they're Minnesota kids. It's even more important when the class is as talent-laden as most think this year's class is. Great job Coach Kill and staff!

Davidson really shouldn't count against Kill & Co as one that "got away." He just happened to be passing through the State as a high school senior. No question he is fine football player and I'm happy for him that he gets to attend a great place for both school and football. The way I see it, Johnson is the only one that "got away" and best of luck to him too.

Consequently, Kill got 7 of the top 8 players in the state including the top 3 or 4 players in the State. That's an in-state recruiting coup!

Go Gophers!

The only instate kid they missed on was Johnson. Webb and Harden would both commit today if they were offered and Davidson isn't a local recruit.

Speaking of Webb, I wonder where he ends up playing his college ball. If he has academic issues, I hope he heads to a JUCO program that can get him squared away in that regard so he can continue playing. I don't think there is any question that he's talented enough to play at the FBS level.

In my amateur opinion, he was one of the best players in the state. I think he is better than James Farrow (Virginia Tech). I thought McDonald and Nelson were the two best players i've seen all season, but I thought Webb (and Harden) were right behind those guys. My opinion obviously doesn't mean much, but Charles Webb is good enough to play in the Big 10, and I think it's obvious. It must still be an academic issue. I hope he works it out, because he could be special.

I can just see this being a Marcus Williams thing all over again. A guy who can obviously play, but has too many academic questions to offer, and he ends up being a real player.

In my amateur opinion, he was one of the best players in the state. I think he is better than James Farrow (Virginia Tech). I thought McDonald and Nelson were the two best players i've seen all season, but I thought Webb (and Harden) were right behind those guys. My opinion obviously doesn't mean much, but Charles Webb is good enough to play in the Big 10, and I think it's obvious. It must still be an academic issue. I hope he works it out, because he could be special.

I can just see this being a Marcus Williams thing all over again. A guy who can obviously play, but has too many academic questions to offer, and he ends up being a real player.

If Harden is 6'2"-6'3" & 300lbs, he would have elevated to a Rivals **** rating. Coming up short stature-wise hurt his Div 1 offers. But, I believe that he his one of the top three players in MN this year. He will be a good last minute get for the Gophers should someone back out last minute because this kid has a fire under his belly to prove everyone wrong. If Webb is deemed an a high academic risk at this point, it may be better for him to go the JC route first even though he has a Toledo offer.

Rivals released their final MN Top 10:

1. Davidson
2. Nelson
3. McDonald
4. Johnson
5. Hayes
6. Pirsig
7. Williams
8. Anyanwu
9. Rallis
10. Michaelson

Davidson was real good at EP, but I am a little surprised at how high he is ranked.

That said, I think the rankings are alright. The Harden height issue, I can understand keeping him out of the top 10, but there is no way that Webb isn't a top 10 player in the state.

Davidson was real good at EP, but I am a little surprised at how high he is ranked.

That said, I think the rankings are alright. The Harden height issue, I can understand keeping him out of the top 10, but there is no way that Webb isn't a top 10 player in the state.
If he doesn't qualify, he's not worth anything. Have no idea if that's the case, but it would be a pretty good reason.

Though it does seem like a good year for instate players, and glad Coach Kill was as successful as he was, if he finds better players elsewhere, I would rather he sign them then instate for the sake of in state.

If he doesn't qualify, he's not worth anything. Have no idea if that's the case, but it would be a pretty good reason.

I don't think they take that into consideration for rivals, I could be wrong. If they do, then it makes sense. However, there are plenty of guys who are going to have a tough time qualifying academically who get ranked high. It isn't uncommon for a highly ranked guy to not qualify academically.

I don't know how Davidson is the #1 prospect in MN. A broken leg is a pretty serious injury. A NFL prospect who breaks his leg woud go from a 1st round pick to about a 5th round pick. I guess for college prospects all is good.

Personally, I don't see how academics would figure into this since it seems about on field accomplishments. The academics is more a recruiting then a recognition issue. If Webb's issue is academics, it should not keep him from being recognized as 10 ten IMO.

Personally, I don't see how academics would figure into this since it seems about on field accomplishments. The academics is more a recruiting then a recognition issue. If Webb's issue is academics, it should not keep him from being recognized as 10 ten IMO.
Rivals has downgraded players before based on not qualifying, in addition to off the field transgressions.

You could also just look at this cynically and say that Webb's lack of offers hurt him with rivals, since there is a strong correlation in their rankings to a kid's offer list.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "on field accomplishments" but scouting services are concerned with what kind of college player they think a kid will be, not what he's accomplished in high school.

Rivals has downgraded players before based on not qualifying, in addition to off the field transgressions.

You could also just look at this cynically and say that Webb's lack of offers hurt him with rivals, since there is a strong correlation in their rankings to a kid's offer list.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "on field accomplishments" but scouting services are concerned with what kind of college player they think a kid will be, not what he's accomplished in high school.

Basically how good a player they have been in HS...

If projecting future development is an indicator as well, then it is. My thought was that they assessed the players solely to how well they have played to this point, not including collegiate interest/offers and off the field or scholastic issues. It kinda seems fair to me a player be evaluated from just that standpoint, but I understand incorporating the other issues as well.

Basically how good a player they have been in HS...

If projecting future development is an indicator as well, then it is. My thought was that they assessed the players solely to how well they have played to this point, not including collegiate interest/offers and off the field or scholastic issues. It kinda seems fair to me a player be evaluated from just that standpoint, but I understand incorporating the other issues as well.
I don't think High School performance has anything to do with it, other than using that as a barometer of future success.

The scouting sites don't intend to tell you who was a good high school football player, they tell you who they think will be a good college player. This makes sense, since the vast interest in those sites comes from college-not high school-football fans.

Top Bottom