Top 10 College Football Defensive Coordinators per @PFF👀 (7. Joe Rossi)

I'm fine with him at that rank...keep him off people's radar and here longer lol

...and yes I know this has nothing to do with his actual longevity as the Gophers DC.

#7 DC in college football puts him at #5 in the B1G and in the middle third of conference DCs. If Aranda was still next door, Rossi likely would have been #8 in CFB and #6 in conference.

Rankings are obviously somewhat subjective, but think it's a bit easier to be ranked high if you have the talent they do at Michigan, OSU and Georgia.

There is no way Phil Parker could be a HC. He would have to change his vocabulary.

#7 DC in college football puts him at #5 in the B1G and in the middle third of conference DCs. If Aranda was still next door, Rossi likely would have been #8 in CFB and #6 in conference.

Minnesota ranked 9th in the nation in Total Defense in 2022, and 4th in the B1G.

A question, and an observation:

— I wonder: did Rossi have the ninth-ranked defensive roster in the nation, talent-wise? Or was he really good at "coaching up" a less-talented group?

— It's interesting that five of the top 11 defenses are in the B1G. I guess we know which conference plays the best defense.

Minnesota ranked 9th in the nation in Total Defense in 2022, and 4th in the B1G.

— I wonder: did Rossi have the ninth-ranked defensive roster in the nation, talent-wise? Or was he really good at "coaching up" a less-talented group?

— It's interesting that five of the top 11 defenses are in the B1G. I guess we know which conference plays the best defense.

Talent is subjective.

The top ranked defenses may be really good. Or they face bad, antiquated offenses. Certainly helps Rossi getting to play against Iowa and Northwestern. Not to mention the non conference schedule last year.

That's a lot of B1G schools. Are the defenses that good, or are the offenses that bad. Either way, I'd rather be on the list than not!

Talent is subjective.

The top ranked defenses may be really good. Or they face bad, antiquated offenses. Certainly helps Rossi getting to play against Iowa and Northwestern. Not to mention the non conference schedule last year.

Well, you can play that game both ways.

Are the supposedly high-powered offenses of the SEC really that good, or do they benefit from facing weak, soft SEC defenses?

Another factor, of course, is weather. I've often longed to see Alabama or Georgia face Ohio State or Michigan in a bowl game/playoff game in January in, say, Lambeau Field or Soldier Field.

B1G teams have to be able to play football in cold/inclement weather. It's part of their DNA. And it would be nice to see an even playing field when comparing the B1G to the SEC! SEC! SEC! I'd love to see our "bad, antiquated" offense pitted against Alabama's defense in January at Soldier Field.

Last edited:

Well, you can play that game both ways.

Are the supposedly high-powered offenses of the SEC really that good, or do they benefit from facing weak, soft SEC defenses?

Another factor, of course, is weather. I've often longed to see Alabama or Georgia face Ohio State or Michigan in a bowl game/playoff game in January in, say, Lambeau Field or Soldier Field.

B1G teams have to be able to play football in cold/inclement weather. It's part of their DNA. And it would be nice to see an even playing field when comparing the B1G to the SEC! SEC! SEC! I'd love to see our "bad, antiquated" offense pitted against Alabama's defense in January at Soldier Field.

All good points. If you don’t think Iowa and Northwestern are bad and antiquated I don’t know what to tell you. Minnesota has been good and antiquated. Plenty of shitty offense in the SEC as well. But I think their offenses are better than the B1Gs.

Talent is subjective.

I would say both are true. Particularly the B1G West has a lot of programs with offenses that don't typically keep opposing DCs up at night.

I would say both are true. Particularly the B1G West has a lot of programs with offenses that don't typically keep opposing DCs up at night.

During Mo Ibrahim's career at Minnesota, I imagine there were more than a few DCs who worried about how they were going to stop #24. They knew if they failed to stop him (and very few teams were able to stop him) Minnesota would grind the clock all day long and their team's offense wouldn't get to see the ball much.

And I'd bet there were plenty of defensive players who remember Mo running them over, or bouncing off of them, or slashing through their attempts at tackles and leaving them bruised and battered. And some probably still recall being pancaked by the Minnesota offensive line. I'd call that a pretty effective offense. Very efficient and even intimidating, in a unique way.

Gophs were also 4th nationally in scoring defense, and just behind Illinois and Iowa in the B1G. Really, Gophs have had good defenses for the last 10 years.

That's a lot of B1G schools. Are the defenses that good, or are the offenses that bad. Either way, I'd rather be on the list than not!
I think it's style of play more than anything. The Big 10 puts a ton of offensive players in the NFL, the games are just a bit slower so sometimes the defenses seem better (giving up fewer points). There is also the weather, it's harder to throw the ball around when the weather is sh!t.

But your point is right, I do think playing in the Big 10 probably makes our defenses look better than they are, but I just don't think it's a talent thing, it's a style of play thing.

Top Bottom