Tony Liebert: Greg Harbaugh Jr. and Minnesota's offense has heard the noise and they're opening things up a little bit.

so - when he says Harbaugh "heard the noise" - is he basing this on any actual reporting, or is he just pulling that out of his backside?

granted - Liebert is a podcaster - not a beat writer. but speculation is not reporting.

and this also assumes that Harbaugh is the ultimate decision-maker on offensive philosophy - a notion that I do not subscribe to.....

so - when he says Harbaugh "heard the noise" - is he basing this on any actual reporting, or is he just pulling that out of his backside?

granted - Liebert is a podcaster - not a beat writer. but speculation is not reporting.

and this also assumes that Harbaugh is the ultimate decision-maker on offensive philosophy - a notion that I do not subscribe to.....
Yeah I think this is just a made up in his head narrative.

They didn’t ‘open things up’ they switched to dink and dunk type passes….

The only difference is that the dunk and dunk passes worked to establish everything else.

People think you need to swing fences all the time to score points, you just gotta find what works so that you could swing once in a while.

Media credits themselves for the throwing more in a nice day than the team did on a rainy day

There has been articles in the Star and Cycle and the PeePee about the lack of creativity in Fleck's offense.

I for one am glad they at least worked on it. Now maybe they'll use the running game and the short passing game to create opportunities to take advantage of defenses stacking the box.

Instead of using the running game to set up the running game, and wondering why we can't get anywhere.

If we can do that, and not shut down the offense when we go up by 2 points, we might have a season just yet.

If we're passing 31x or more in the next 12 weeks, I doubt the box scores will be in our favor the majority of the time.

Good grief! I'd certainly hope a college coaching staff figures things out on their own and not do something because of rubes bitching after an opening game.
They'd be firing themselves every other week ;)

Not sure they hear the noise. I think it's more that they have some capable RB's that can catch the ball(new wrinkle) and Fleck realizing that he needs RB's to be healthy, using more of them.

We also need to mix it up to protect the OL that is a bit of a mess with as much experience as it has.

We'll see if they keep it open, or go right back to service academy offense when against a non FCS school
Some of you need to open your eyes and actually see what is going on. Through two games we are very close to a 50/50 run pass ratio. This is not the same offense we have been running the past couple seasons.

It isn't going to be the wide open, chuck it deep offense some of you want to see but it is clear they trust Brosmer and are going to put it in the air much more than we have in past few years.

Some of you need to open your eyes and actually see what is going on. Through two games we are very close to a 50/50 run pass ratio. This is not the same offense we have been running the past couple seasons.

It isn't going to be the wide open, chuck it deep offense some of you want to see but it is clear they trust Brosmer and are going to put it in the air much more than we have in past few years.
One game was, one game wasn't. I don't think many are saying go long mord than a couple times a game. Good to see them use the short pass Saturday. Need to continue next Saturday.

There were some accurate deep shots on Saturday that were dropped. So yes they had success with "shorter" passes but they are not going completely away from deep shots.

I have to think that the check-down pass to our RB is going to be open a lot this season and I hope we can take advantage of that.

I really hope that they do more "pass to open up the run" like Fleck mentioned in the postgame press conference. Will see what they actually do in the coming weeks.

One game was, one game wasn't. I don't think many are saying go long mord than a couple times a game. Good to see them use the short pass Saturday. Need to continue next Saturday.
Even the first game was much closer to 50/50 than we have been. Someone else broke down the rushing attempts that would have been passes (sacks, scrambles) and when you factored those in it brought the percentages much closer to equal. We weren't the most efficient in that game for a number of reasons (Brosmer adjusting, no Taylor, quality opponent, week 1.....)

People keep throwing out this idea that we are playing service academy offense, and while that might have been somewhat true the past few seasons it has not been the case at all through 2 games this year.

This is different this year and while I get that it is going to take some a while to trust it, the reality is that we look like we are going to have much better offensive balance than we have had really since 2019.

We'll see if they keep it open, or go right back to service academy offense when against a non FCS school
If PJ doesn’t move forward with his offense, how long would A QB like Lindsay or Kollavk stick around?

Change isn’t easy and it can be difficult, to so, once you’ve done something the same way for a long time.

Even the first game was much closer to 50/50 than we have been. Someone else broke down the rushing attempts that would have been passes (sacks, scrambles) and when you factored those in it brought the percentages much closer to equal. We weren't the most efficient in that game for a number of reasons (Brosmer adjusting, no Taylor, quality opponent, week 1.....)

People keep throwing out this idea that we are playing service academy offense, and while that might have been somewhat true the past few seasons it has not been the case at all through 2 games this year.

This is different this year and while I get that it is going to take some a while to trust it, the reality is that we look like we are going to have much better offensive balance than we have had really since 2019.
It was 60/40 run to pass against UNC. Last year Gophs were 62/38 run to pass.

It was 60/40 run to pass against UNC. Last year Gophs were 62/38 run to pass.
Sure....as long as you view the 9 runs that would have been passes as runs (sacks and scrambles). Brosmer has 16 carries on the year and I think no more than a handful of those were designed runs.

The bottom line is that the run/pass splits through 2 games have been very different than the past few seasons. Late in the 3rd quarter against Rhode Island we had more pass attempts than run attempts in a game we were winning comfortably. In the past few years a game like that would have been heavily skewed towards runs.

Sure....as long as you view the 9 runs that would have been passes as runs (sacks and scrambles). Brosmer has 16 carries on the year and I think no more than a handful of those were designed runs.

The bottom line is that the run/pass splits through 2 games have been very different than the past few seasons. Late in the 3rd quarter against Rhode Island we had more pass attempts than run attempts in a game we were winning comfortably. In the past few years a game like that would have been heavily skewed towards runs.
They have for one game.

Top Bottom