Tony Dungy named a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I'm happy he's a Gopher, but he's not a Hall of Fame coach, in my opinion. Coaches who make the HOF are ones who changed the game with revolutionary schemes, or were exceptional winners. He was neither. Very good coach, just not one of the all-time greats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_2 may have something to do with it.

In the Wikipedia entry you cite he admits he took the concept of Tampa 2 from his days with the Steel Curtain in Pittsburgh. "My philosophy is really out of the 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers playbook," said Dungy (who played for the Steelers early in his career) during media interviews while at Super Bowl XLI. "That is why I have to laugh when I hear 'Tampa 2'. Chuck Noll and Bud Carson—that is where it came from, I changed very little."

WindyCityGopher --

You must not be very familiar with all of the coaches who have gotten into the HOF then?

There is a coach in the HOF who got fired from both of his gigs, was only .500 overall in his career, and made no significant contributions that I know of towards revolutionizing the game? And in fact the real reason one of his teams won a Super Bowl was much like what they criticize Dungy for, he had a HOFer at QB.

And thats just one example that I know the details about. There are many others in the Hall with less spectacular resumes than Dungy.

And the experts also disagree with you as well. They mostly agreed that he wasn't good enough to be a 1st ballot inductee, but all the experts I've heard comment have said he is worthy to get in eventually.

Also, taking someone else's idea and being "the one" to popularize it or make good use of it or to adapt it or change it or modernize it or whatever, is most of what people do now. Only one person can invent the wheel, and only one person can discover fire, and only one person can create a process for making metal and the same for rubber and plastic and vinyl, and glass, etc., but what people nowadays do with all of those previous inventions, can be continually innovative and different and changing and adapting, etc.. I was thinking of cars when coming up with all of those things, btw, if you couldn't tell.

Dungy will get in. He did more at Tampa Bay than anyone before him or after, and anyone who is honest about it credits him at least partially if not almost completely for the Super Bowl Title won at Tampa soon after he left. What he did as a coordinator at such a young age has also been mentioned as well. And then he went to Indy and did much like he did at Tampa, and kept Indy at or near the top for a very long time. And since he's left, Indy's been pretty average.

As for his crediting his mentors at Pittsburgh, so what? That is where most great coaches come from.

Wilkinson played under Bierman who played under Williams who learned the game in the early days at Yale. Dungy played for Stoll who played for Bierman who played for Williams. I think thats how it went? lol Point being, where do you think most of these great coaches get their ideas from? Former coaches for the most part, who got them from former coaches, etc., etc..

Top Bottom