Tom Seaver passed away

fan of Ray Williams

Reaction score
Tom Seaver (1944-2020)
Hall of Fame New York Mets pitcher. A 12-time All-Star and 1969 World Series Champion, he is one of just ten pitchers in MLB history with 300 wins and 3,000 strikeouts. Mets franchise leader in ERA, wins, innings pitched, complete games, and strikeouts. His feat of recording 10 consecutive strikeouts in 1970 remains unmatched.

Great pitcher while I was growing up. Those Reds teams were fun to root against.

Great era of baseball along with the reds (as already mentioned), pirates, Orioles, twins with killebrew. I know I may have some years not exactly correct but in general. It seems like yesterday, he was in his mid-late 30s and I was just a kid playing back yard baseball. I hate realizing I'm getting old

Was looking through Twitter today and there were quite a few interesting tidbits on Seaver.

Two pitchers in history have 300 wins, 3000 strikeouts, and a sub-3.00 era: Walter Johnson and Seaver

Seaver's last MLB win was at the Metrodome (Steve Carlton also can claim the same)

Didn't realize/remember, but Seaver was a part of the '86 Red Sox team, but got hurt down the stretch and was not able to participate in the playoffs/WS. He retired at the end of the season.

A few years ago Tom Brady looked into trademarking "Tom Terrific" but was rebuffed because of its association with Seaver.

Nolan Ryan seems to be remembered by the casual fan (such as me) as the dominant pitcher of that era, probably due to a combination of his longevity, the 8 no-hitters, and all time strikeouts (with a bonus from the Robin Ventura beatdown), but he couldn't hold a candle to Seaver.

Was looking through Twitter today and there were quite a few interesting tidbits on Seaver.

Two pitchers in history have 300 wins, 3000 strikeouts, and a sub-3.00 era: Walter Johnson and Seaver

Seaver's last MLB win was at the Metrodome (Steve Carlton also can claim the same)

Didn't realize/remember, but Seaver was a part of the '86 Red Sox team, but got hurt down the stretch and was not able to participate in the playoffs/WS. He retired at the end of the season.

A few years ago Tom Brady looked into trademarking "Tom Terrific" but was rebuffed because of its association with Seaver.

Nolan Ryan seems to be remembered by the casual fan (such as me) as the dominant pitcher of that era, probably due to a combination of his longevity, the 8 no-hitters, and all time strikeouts (with a bonus from the Robin Ventura beatdown), but he couldn't hold a candle to Seaver.
And amazingly, pun intended, Ryan was also on that 1969 club. Good article on Seaver in the Washington Post yesterday.

“There is a good argument that Tom Seaver is the greatest pitcher of all time,” noted statistical guru Bill James.

TOM TERRIFIC.. or THE FRANCHISE

Amazing to have not one, but two awesome truthful nicknames...

He would occasionally stop by the Mets booth when he was in town, great with spinning a yarn and he was always a gent of the highest order and those guys were in awe of him (Ron Darling & Keith Hernandez handle the color on the Mets TV broadcast

That '69 Mets pitching staff was interesting. Led by Seaver, Koosman and Gary Gentry. Nolan Ryan had 10 starts and 15 relief outings - finished with 92K and 53BB in 89 innings. Here's a real trivia question - name the 4th and 5th starters: Don Cardwell and Jim McAndrew.
And - a 24-year-old Tug McGraw went 9-3 with a 2.24 ERA and 12 saves. he actually pitched more innings than Nolan Ryan. 4 starts, 38 relief appearances with 100 IP.

That '69 Mets pitching staff was interesting. Led by Seaver, Koosman and Gary Gentry. Nolan Ryan had 10 starts and 15 relief outings - finished with 92K and 53BB in 89 innings. Here's a real trivia question - name the 4th and 5th starters: Don Cardwell and Jim McAndrew.
And - a 24-year-old Tug McGraw went 9-3 with a 2.24 ERA and 12 saves. he actually pitched more innings than Nolan Ryan. 4 starts, 38 relief appearances with 100 IP.
That 69 Mets team had Tommie Agee in the lead off spot and started my love affair with lead off hitters with good power. He had 26 home runs that year.

Top Bottom