Tom Powers: A big-name coach would be risking a lot to take Minnesota Gophers job

a small name reporter would be risking a lot coming up with an original thought for an article

Tom Powers is a dbag and has no idea what the hell he is talking about when it comes to Gopher football or Gopher sports in general.

If a really BIG NAME Coach had any nuts in his scrotum, he would say..."I can make chicken salad out of chicken $hit, Let me at it."

Unless the previous coach retired, the new coach tends to come in when the program has hit bottom. Barring scandal, schools don't fire their coach when the team is doing well. The situation really isn't as dire as some think. We have excellent facilities. We do have good candidates interested in the job. We really don't know how much talent really is there. Firing the coach suggests the problem is coaching. I think we have enough talent not to give up 6 TDs to South Dakota. We just lack good coaching. I suspect that the next coach will have more talent to work with than some people think. It won't take years and years to get out of the ditch if we hire the right coach.

If a really BIG NAME Coach had any nuts in his scrotum, he would say..."I can make chicken salad out of chicken $hit, Let me at it."

Thanks for that. Do people not realize you can't be a BIG TIME coach if you don't take a job like this? Turn it around? I don't want a guy that can only coach 4 and 5 star kids.

Maturi had said plenty that I don't agree with, but he hit the nail on the head when he said that they might put up a statue if the next coach gets the team to the Rose Bowl. A lot of coaches have massive egos, if you want to reach legendary status, this is the place to do it. If you win two Rose Bowls in Ann Arbor, it isn't a big deal. If you do it at Minnesota, you never pay for a beer as long as you live.

I don't mind Powers' shots at the lack of attendance but here's the thing: this is a symptom of Minnesota sports fans in general, not just the gophers. The Vikings were flirting with blackouts before Favre came here, the Wild is having attendance problems this year and most people are wondering if the Timberwolves still exist.

The fact of the matter is MN sports fans will only consistantly attend gopher, viking, wild, timberwolf or twins games if there's a compelling reason. When the success of any of these teams dip, attendance dips. The problem is not unique to the gophers.

I agree with this - but I also agree with the article. A big name coach is going to need this type of attitude to want to come here.

However, you can't dismiss that it would be a HUGE risk for a big name coach to come here. I'm hoping we can find someone who wants to come here but he will need to have the attitude above or else he will pass.

The article is accurate - this job is where coaches go to die - and we need someone who is willing to take a risk to come here to turn it around.

Maturi had said plenty that I don't agree with, but he hit the nail on the head when he said that they might put up a statue if the next coach gets the team to the Rose Bowl. A lot of coaches have massive egos, if you want to reach legendary status, this is the place to do it. If you win two Rose Bowls in Ann Arbor, it isn't a big deal. If you do it at Minnesota, you never pay for a beer as long as you live.[/QUOTE]

Dr Don, did you catch this.

Will you be applying.

If you were to be offered and accepted the job, would you promote tailgating at Walmart.

I'm not even going to read the article, because it's false. A coach like Bellotti would be perfect for here. He's proven, but he's aging. If he fails, he's probably retiring anyway...

I agree with him, Peterson or Patterson aren't going to be interested, why should they. It would be to their advantage to wait on a top school that is in the running for a BCS bowl every year or a better chance to get their.

A Belloti or Fulmer are probably going to be interested, they are in a different point in their career, and not currently coaching. Someone in their fourties that is successful might wait for a better opportunity.

The crap they put in newspapers in this town is just embarrassing.

Maturi had said plenty that I don't agree with, but he hit the nail on the head when he said that they might put up a statue if the next coach gets the team to the Rose Bowl. A lot of coaches have massive egos, if you want to reach legendary status, this is the place to do it. If you win two Rose Bowls in Ann Arbor, it isn't a big deal. If you do it at Minnesota, you never pay for a beer as long as you live.[/QUOTE]

Dr Don, did you catch this.

Will you be applying.

If you were to be offered and accepted the job, would you promote tailgating at Walmart.

Absolutely NOT! I have too good a thing going at WalMart to share with anyone.

Thanks for that. Do people not realize you can't be a BIG TIME coach if you don't take a job like this? Turn it around? I don't want a guy that can only coach 4 and 5 star kids.
+1. This job is an opportunity for someone to become a legend. It's a roll of the dice, but you can't win unless yo bet. Maybe it's just the relief of Brew being gone, but I thought the team looked better today. They seemed more organized than in the past. Sid has been blabbing that Brew wasn't the problem. Excuse me Sid, but were you actually watching while Brew was coaching? Seriously, there were many times where it was utter confusion out there on the field. You didn't have to know anything about football to see that The team simply weren't prepared and that falls entirely on Brew - he was a bad coach. That said, I think the basics are in place and that any reasonably organized coach could do alot better with what they already have and build from there.

I don't buy the reasoning that this is a big risk job. It's not Baylor, Temple or even Kentucky. It's a Big 10 school that's guaranteed to be on TV every week, with at least half the games nationally broadcast, and all of them for some cable providers. The school has shown more than an average commitment to the team and has shown they want to win by firing the last 2 coaches that couldn't get it done. I realize firing is a negative, but coaches understand that this is part of the business. While a little fair weather, the fan base has shown there are enough out there to pack the stadium, and Minnesotans will turn out for a winner.

My concern is that Maturi is too pragmatic, or apologetic, to adequately sell this job. That's why the hiring of Dave Mona is such a huge deal. He'll get Maturi walking and talking like he should about Minnesota being a big time opportunity.

no amount of money is going to bring someone like Nick Saban to Minneapolis. coaches like him go to SEC schools, and other proven programs because its significantly easier to recruit and win at those schools.

Minnesota now (like Wisconsin in 1989) has to go the route of finding a DC/OC type coach and hope you catch lightning in a bottle like we did (twice, actually). you guys tried with Brewster, and failed. time to try again and hope for better results.

Tom Powers is an absolute joke. Including this article, I haven't read him 1,331 days. They should hire me instead.

no amount of money is going to bring someone like Nick Saban to Minneapolis. coaches like him go to SEC schools, and other proven programs because its significantly easier to recruit and win at those schools.

Minnesota now (like Wisconsin in 1989) has to go the route of finding a DC/OC type coach and hope you catch lightning in a bottle like we did (twice, actually). you guys tried with Brewster, and failed. time to try again and hope for better results.

I disagree, big time coaches have a much better shot in the big ten rebuilding minnesota compared to taking miss st or vandy to a conf title game and beyond.

at this point there are a handful of good coaches not working that could be considered "big time." we already took a shot on brew and there is no way in hell that maturi/bruinicks can risk the leader of the football program on a dc/oc. it has to be a proven head coach at this point!

I can't wait to see leach in maroon and gold

There are a lot of good posts in this thread. I don't think a quality hire is out of reach and I also believe that will be someone not already mentioned. I wish Maturi wasn't making the decision / final recommendation, but what are you going to do? He's the AD. Every year there are stories about teams that made a good hiring decision and turned things around. Look at Michigan State, I don't think we're at the same point the spartans were when they hired Dantonio, but there are a lot of similarities. The difference between the fan base at a big time football school and the U is that at a Michigan or OSU, the fans complain, but they still show up for the games. That doesn't happen at the U. What was the attendance on Saturday, 10,000 short or something? I thought Phil had mentioned something like that.

disagree all you want, you're not getting a proven, winning BCS Conference level coach to come to Minnesota. you're probably gonna pluck a solid coach like a Dantonio, Brian Kelley, Kevin Sumlin, etc from the MAC/CUSA level schools, or a proven winner (ala Tressell) from the FCS or Div II level.

otherwise you're looking at retreads that failed elsewhere, like Leach, Solich, etc.

Powers Sucks

There are $8-10 million dollars worth of risks a high profile coach would take to come here....

Dumb!

I did think this paragraph was funny though.........."It was difficult to believe the small turnout for the Penn State game. There probably weren't close to 30,000 in the almost brand-new stadium for the opening kickoff. By the fourth quarter, just a smattering of fans remained. One theory was that a campus appearance by Barack Obama detracted from the football attendance. That seems ironic because if people wanted to hear a pie-in-the-sky speech in the face of reality they could have kept Brewster around. "

Come on now -- THAT was funny....

also, you might try finding a Gene Chizik out there, a loser coach who could do better elsewhere. MUCH better elsewhere.

The article is accurate - this job is where coaches go to die - and we need someone who is willing to take a risk to come here to turn it around.

Look at the records of the coaches hired previously. This is the job where coaches who lack experience or have sub-500 DI records go to die. The decades of futility also have some correlation to the coaches they've tossed into the job.

Assumption of risk?

I agree with this - but I also agree with the article. A big name coach is going to need this type of attitude to want to come here.

However, you can't dismiss that it would be a HUGE risk for a big name coach to come here. I'm hoping we can find someone who wants to come here but he will need to have the attitude above or else he will pass.

What risk is there when you can make a million plus a year? Not much real risk involved that is more or less here than anywhere else. Reputation may or not be affected by coming to Minnesota and not performing. That is the case. There is not a real downside to taking this job.

Top Bottom