Tom O'Brien?

Triple D

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I would prefer a bigger name like Harbaugh, Leach, etc., but I was impressed with NC State knocking off Florida State. If we strike out on a bigger name is this guy worthy?

He has a lot of HC experience at Boston College and NC State, has been to several bowl games, and looks like a solid character guy, he's a Navy grad and is from the football hotbed of Ohio. He may be a tad old, but I think we could do worse than this guy as a fallback.

Thoughts?

Would the Gophers job be considered an upgrade over NC State?

O'Brien is 62, that's pretty old considering people are worried about Belotti who is two years younger. His team is doing well this year but an underwhelming previous three years at NC State. I'd rather have Randy Shannon than him which isn't saying much.

Since we're throwing names out what about Todd Graham at Tulsa? He'd be a decent option anyways, I think.

No to Todd Graham. His limited success at Tulsa can be tied directly to Gus Malzahn's offense. I live in the Tulsa area and I have watched many Tulsa games in the recent years and he consistently has some of the worst tackling defenses I have ever seen.

He also makes bonehead calls that have cost his team games. For example against Houston last year after giving a TD with 10 seconds left to allow Houston within 2 points. He lines up his onside recovery team on the wrong side of the field when Houston was obviously kicking the ball to the other side of the field.

That is stupid coaching.

Top Bottom