Today is the reason I've stayed with the Gophers for 40 years

GoForGold

Reaction score
I've always be a fan of the underdog, whether it be the Gopher football team or the Twins. The wins don't always come, but when they do it is so much sweeter.

I was 4 years old when Minnesota last beat Nebraska in 1960. My late father told me stories about the Minnesota Golden Gophers. That's OK! I've been hooked ever since! Go Gophers!! Love all of you fans that stuck through the hard times!!!

I was 4 years old when Minnesota last beat Nebraska in 1960. My late father told me stories about the Minnesota Golden Gophers. That's OK! I've been hooked ever since! Go Gophers!! Love all of you fans that stuck through the hard times!!!

Yes, my late father also told me about Gopher football lore, even though he was born and raised in South Dakota. The Gophers were a national renowned team in those times. My father followed Gopher football and the Yankees in those days. Gopher football was right up there with the Yankees at a national level at that time, hard to believe now but true.

I spent my childhood in the shadows of greatness and never knew it. My grandmother Margaret was 1926 grad of the U and was at the Memorial Stadium dedication. She witnessed the pummeling of Red Grange and the mighty Illini. She spoke of it with a reverence that nearly transcended religion (and she was a religious woman): "I was so happy when they knocked that guy out of there."

My grandparents and my dad spoke of greatness, through the teams of the 30's and 40's and even the 50's. The 60's were no memory to me, even though I apparently witnessed a national championship in 1960 and a B1G Championship in 1967--and a victory over the Huskers.

I was introduced to game day in 1969 (a loss to OSU) and many losses after that, but I learned to love Saturdays at Memorial. I was even introduced to Arby's.

I saw a lot of losses and a few wins. I saw Rick Upchurch nearly beat the Buckeyes singlehandedly. I saw winless TCU kick a winning FG right down the middle, only to have it waved off no good.

Broke my nose at a 1970's game shagging a field goal. Missed almost the whole first quarter. Boy was my dad mad.

I've seen the Michigan and Wisconsin debacles, and seen the Purdue 3OT win, knocking off the Hogeyes several times, and Rhys Lloyd silencing the Budgies.

But today was something different. It started with the hire of a man with a Plan. Not get rich quick, but Brick by Brick. And today it paid off. It's only up guys, only up.

I'm not a religious man, but I say this with religious fervor: "I was so happy when they kicked the sh!t out of Taylor Martinez."

I spent my childhood in the shadows of greatness and never knew it. My grandmother Margaret was 1926 grad of the U and was at the Memorial Stadium dedication. She witnessed the pummeling of Red Grange and the mighty Illini. She spoke of it with a reverence that nearly transcended religion (and she was a religious woman): "I was so happy when they knocked that guy out of there."

My grandparents and my dad spoke of greatness, through the teams of the 30's and 40's and even the 50's. The 60's were no memory to me, even though I apparently witnessed a national championship in 1960 and a B1G Championship in 1967--and a victory over the Huskers.

I was introduced to game day in 1969 (a loss to OSU) and many losses after that, but I learned to love Saturdays at Memorial. I was even introduced to Arby's.

I saw a lot of losses and a few wins. I saw Rick Upchurch nearly beat the Buckeyes singlehandedly. I saw winless TCU kick a winning FG right down the middle, only to have it waved off no good.

Broke my nose at a 1970's game shagging a field goal. Missed almost the whole first quarter. Boy was my dad mad.

I've seen the Michigan and Wisconsin debacles, and seen the Purdue 3OT win, knocking off the Hogeyes several times, and Rhys Lloyd silencing the Budgies.

But today was something different. It started with the hire of a man with a Plan. Not get rich quick, but Brick by Brick. And today it paid off. It's only up guys, only up.

I'm not a religious man, but I say this with religious fervor: "I was so happy when they kicked the sh!t out of Taylor Martinez."

Priceless. Thanks for writing this. My memories go way back, too.

I'm sure some people will never understand. I don't think my wife really does--but she knows I'll stick with her no matter what.

My earliest memories include the phrase: "How are our boys doing?" TV or radio, any adult that walked into the room during a game would ask about "our boys." The first lesson in rural Minnesota life: "Our boys" = Gophers football. Vikings are a professional team, but they're not "our boys." Gophers are "our boys."

Later, when I was a chubby boy--okay, I was the fat kid--my parents would send me to bible camp every summer. There was this guy there, Doug Kingsriter, and he would let me tag along while he worked out. And, man, did he work out. Then he started working me out, too, and he knew I could play football. (Make no mistake, a player can change a kid's life. If you're out there, Doug, thank you.)

Fast forward a few years, listening on my trusty transistor while I raked leaves and vicariously enjoyed the exploits of some guy named Tony Dungy. And, somehow, I ended up a Star-Trib all-state football player. I was never D-1 material, but I played at a small ND college before transferring to the U.

Almost forgot the wonderful days when I was old enough to get to the games, pre-Metrodome days, and prowl Dinkytown. Also the wonderful spring event where athletes from around the state were invited to campus and we could catch bball and hockey and wrestling and swimming and whatnot.

Yes, I remember Nebraska stomping the daylights out of "our boys."

I left MN in the early 80's but I kept up as best I could. I've always had a soft-spot for Mason because he got the Gophers in the Top 25 and that meant I could watch games on TV once and awhile before, you know, every game, everywhere, was on TV or the internet. (I'll be kind to AggieVision here.)

Anyway, it was nice to see "our boys" finally roll some Red today. Been waiting a long time.

Next year in Pasadena.

Top Bottom