Tobi Okuyemi talks about recent offers from Michigan and Kansas

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SuperPrep.com:

There is a lot going on with Plymouth (Minn) Wayzata defensive end Tobi Okuyemi right now. Between new offers, official visits and a playoff run, the three-star defensive end had much to discuss in this latest update.

Plymouth Wayzata (Minn.) is looking to repeat as state champions this year and have begun that quest, winning their first playoff game 40-7 last week.
Leading their defense is 6'3, 250-lb senior defensive end Tobi Okuyemi, who now has nine scholarship offers to his name.

"I have new offers from Kansas and Michigan," he said, "Kansas came about a month ago. Michigan was last Tuesday. I'm definitely interested in both of them. They're both good programs."

The Jayhawks are a program he has been around.

"I grew up in Kansas City and we went to their college basketball games, so I am very familiar with them."

The Michigan offer, on the other hand, was more out of the blue.

"About two weeks ago, I called them and their coaches asked for film, so we sent some up. It was kind of a shocker. I didn't expect it to come so quickly. They have a good tradition, good coaches there and it would be a fun place for me to play."

He has not visited Kansas or Michigan yet, but says he would like to after the season. That is when the bulk of his recruiting work will take place, as he is currently concentrating on finishing out his high school season.

While that is his current aim, he will still take his second official visit this weekend.

"I'm going to Nebraska," he reported, "I went to Iowa earlier in the year when they played Michigan. It was fun. I got to see a good college football game and talk to the coaches."

With other offers from Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kentucky and Vanderbilt, Okuyemi says he is unsure where his last three official visits will be to

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=915436

Go Gophers!!

Not a good sign for the Gophs if, at this point, he is calling other programs directly. It's okay though; there are lots of good players out there and we'll be just fine.

The Michigan offer, on the other hand, was more out of the blue.
"About two weeks ago, I called them and their coaches asked for film..."

So he actually contacted Michigan first? I know the kid wants as many options as possible but I also think that he really doesn't want to stay in Minnesota.

Tobi

I can understand a kid wanting to get away to go to college. Just so he doesn't pick a Gopher dreaded rival like Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin.

With our lack of depth at DE, we could really use him. But, he looks like a goner! There is always other fish in the sea

Top Bottom