Tobi Okuyemi talks about Iowa visit

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this update from HawkeyeInsider.com:

Tobi Okuyemi ranks high on the list of Iowa prospects for 2010. With almost all of the scholarships being claimed on this class, the Minnesota product is an important get for the Hawkeyes. Hawkeye Insider caught up with Tobi Thursday night after practice and filed this premium recruiting update.

Iowa made out pretty well when it hosted Michigan on Oct. 10. The Hawkeyes knocked off a nemesis and also received two verbal commitments on the defensive line. A third came away very impressed.

Tobi Okuyemi has long been a target high on the Iowa recruiting board. The 6-foot-3, 250-pound defensive end from Wayzata High in Plymouth, Minn. enjoyed his official visit to Iowa City, the only one he’s taken to this point.

“It was just a great atmosphere,” Okuyemi said. “It was homecoming and the fans were crazy. I was hosted by (Minnesota native) Broderick Binns. I had a great time.”

Binns’ Cretin-Derham (St.Paul) High team faced Wayzata when Okuyemi was a freshman.

“I remembered him from that game,” Okuyemi said.

The official visit to Iowa represented the third time Okuyemi came to town. He took in the final spring practice in April and also came down with some of his teammates for a junior day.

“The (Iowa) coaches are great,” Okuyemi said. “I like Coach (Kirk) Ferentz a lot. He’s just easy going and down to earth. He’s not flashy, but he doesn’t need to be

“I also like Coach (Eric) Johnson, my recruiting coach. He answers all my questions and isn’t pushy. Coach (Rick) Kaczenski seems like a good guy and someone I’d like playing for if I were to go there.”

Okuyemi is taking his time with his decision. He’s officially visiting Nebraska on Nov. 7 when the Huskers face Oklahoma. He also is looking at home-state Minnesota and recently received an offer from Kansas, who intrigues him because he lived in the Lawrence area.

“I really don’t have a favorite at this point,” Okuyemi said. “I’m trying to focus on my season and I’m going with the flow. I’m just looking at things and will visit the schools I feel interested in. I don’t want to waste anybody’s time. I just want to make the right choice.”

Wayzata was ranked No. 1 in Minnesota before losing last week, 3-0, in overtime last weekend. The school has compiled a 7-1 record with the playoffs rolling around on Oct. 31.

Okuyemi has played defensive end the last three seasons after working at inside linebacker as a freshman.

“It’s fun to be in the mix on all different kinds of plays,” he said of playing end. “I also like the physical part of it. I think my strength is speed, but I’m up to 250 now and I can push people around. I do think my quickness and hands are my strengths, though.”

Okuyemi is planning on majoring in physical therapy when he gets to college.

“I can’t see myself sitting behind a desk,” he said.

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=2&c=912067

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom