To: D-Bag Dan Barreiro, J-Bag Justin Gaard, Fat Pat Reusse and Jerky Jim Souhan...

Reaction score
I hope your "traditional" media business-model/world continues to crumble right in front of your eyes and you wanna-be, shock jock whores find yourselves out of work sometime in 2010. You can also kiss my white arse! That is all.

Oh, and a Happy New Year and prosperous 2010 to everyone else! :)

Go Gophers! Beast isu!

I can't stand the amateur local sports media and the incessant ripping on the gopher FB program.

Thanks for the thread Bronko, I couldn't agree more.

Do you think these so called negative media types would be as negative if the gophers were consistently winning 10 games a year? I agree, KFAN does a horrible job with college football and none of the radio personalities really know much about it. But winning will cure that and winning consistently will definitely cure that.

I hate the media coverage that the Gophers get. It really is too negative.

I do honestly think that if the Gophers have a very good season (similar to this seasons Badger season) and play in a bowl against a sexy "name" opponent like Miami, I think that there would be a shift in coverage a little. The media would show more intrigue versus what we have now; which is the same lower tiered bowl that we have played man times before against Iowa State. No offense to Iowa State, but that name recognition to the non-gopher fan does absolutely nothing.

I posted this on another thread, but it's applicable here as well:

Ok, so what if we quit carping and actually did something about it. There's enough regular posters here where we could have some impact through a coordinated letter-writing campaign. I'm no expert in grassroots organization but I know that if we have 100 - 200 people who are dedicated and a Web site or Facebook page to keep letter templates, phone numbers and coordinate activity, it's definitely possible to make an impact.

I'm game to get something set up and am now done with school (forever, thankfully) so I'll have some time to dedicate to it if there's sufficient interest.

So what do you say? The alternative is to continue screaming into the ether and wait for change.

You should definitely attempt to copyright "J-Bag." That word could be as life changing as "asshat."

I dont get JG. He use to be so pro-Gopher. But now he rips on them more, but it seems more so because he wants to be a kiss-ass to Barriero. Truely pathetic. Also with him, if the Hawkeyes are doing great he is all of a sudden a big Hawkeye fan, and if the Gophers are doing well then he is a Gopher fan. Pick a side man.

Here's to you Bronko....and all you G'Holers and fans! Happy New Year! Sanny, Perkins, Barreiro, Souhan, Reusse, Max, Allen, Shaver, etc....... Go F$*K yourselves! And for old man Sid Hartman, nobody, and I mean nobody, gives a crap about you. The fact that I saw you at our new stadium pi**es me off!

Look at the bowl games the Gophers have been to:

Sun Bowl - Big Ten #5 (2x)
Micron PC Bowl - Big Ten #6
Music City Bowl - Big Ten #6 (3x)
Insight Bowl - Big Ten #6 (3x)

Not quite the exciting lineup.

Beat Iowa or Wisconsin semi-regularly, win a game vs Michigan, Ohio St, or Penn St every once in a while. Go 6-2 in the conference and play a good SEC school on 1/1. Then maybe the media will say something good.

Ok, so what if we quit carping and actually did something about it. There's enough regular posters here where we could have some impact through a coordinated letter-writing campaign. I'm no expert in grassroots organization but I know that if we have 100 - 200 people who are dedicated and a Web site or Facebook page to keep letter templates, phone numbers and coordinate activity, it's definitely possible to make an impact.

I'm game to get something set up and am now done with school (forever, thankfully) so I'll have some time to dedicate to it if there's sufficient interest.

So what do you say? The alternative is to continue screaming into the ether and wait for change.

I'M IN, PM me and let me know what I can do!

Do you think these so called negative media types would be as negative if the gophers were consistently winning 10 games a year? I agree, KFAN does a horrible job with college football and none of the radio personalities really know much about it. But winning will cure that and winning consistently will definitely cure that.

Without a doubt, winning would cure that. However, my issue with these people isn't that they are skeptical of Brewster, it's their complete lack of knowledge when it comes to college football as a whole. A prime example is that peice of trash written by Souhan. It's been examined ad nauseum on this board, but it's hard to look credible when you write something full on inaccuracies.

Look at the bowl games the Gophers have been to:

Sun Bowl - Big Ten #5 (2x)
Micron PC Bowl - Big Ten #6
Music City Bowl - Big Ten #6 (3x)
Insight Bowl - Big Ten #6 (3x)

Not quite the exciting lineup.

Beat Iowa or Wisconsin semi-regularly, win a game vs Michigan, Ohio St, or Penn St every once in a while. Go 6-2 in the conference and play a good SEC school on 1/1. Then maybe the media will say something good.

True, but that isn't the point. The media should report the good and the bad. We rarely get anything good about Brewster or the team. It's 90% garbage reporting at best. No knowledge of the players, opponents, strengths, weaknesses, etc.. Just ripping. We shouldn't have to win to get some fare and knowledgeable coverage.

I dont get JG. He use to be so pro-Gopher. But now he rips on them more, but it seems more so because he wants to be a kiss-ass to Barriero. Truely pathetic. Also with him, if the Hawkeyes are doing great he is all of a sudden a big Hawkeye fan, and if the Gophers are doing well then he is a Gopher fan. Pick a side man.

It's so disingenuous when he pretends to like the Gophers. He's an Iowa alum. I don't want his fake Gopher love.

Of course, he should have never gone to Iowa in the first place, but that's beside the point.

I am in. Let me know, I actually sent an emial to them before and got a crap resonse.

Here is my email exchange:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Abbott, Chad to me
show details Sep 17

Ryan,
Today just today alone we had two U of M alumnus on: Justin
Conziemius and Jack Brewer. Both talked Gopher Football extensively.
Common Man actually attended the Gopher game last week and has spoken
about it all week. Mark Rosen attended the game as well and spoke to
that this week as well. Plenty of Gophers talk this week and will
continue moving forward. Thanks for listening.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:29 PM
To: Abbott, Chad
Subject: Staff

Below is the result of your feedback form:
It was submitted by:
on Thursday, September 17, 2009 at 14:29:27
------------------------------------------------------------------------
---

name: Ryan

city: Austin

state: TX

comment: Long time listener (stream on line) here.....moved from
Minnesota back in 2000. KFAN is listed as a sports radio station....and
this is where I go to get the information I need on the Vikings,
Gophers, Wild and the Wolves. As I listen to the "Common Man" and
others in the afternoon, I just do not get it?? If there is one thing I
would love the FAN to be more like, it would be like AM 1300 the Zone in
Austin, Texas. They have alumni now on the station to help discuss
college sports and what is going on around all the leagues. I would
give almost anything for KFAN to move into this direction.....appeal to
those who follow all sports....plus I hate to say it, but adding youth
to the program is desperately needed. PA needs to have an ex-Gopher on
with him in the morning to discuss sports.....Common Man...well, he
needs to be on a station that is more just about talk radio. This
station is loosing fans quickly. Please make some changes. Thanks!!!

Submit: Submit

Agree 100% - much of the time the U gives them so much ammo it would be hard for them not to rip us up.

The better idea: Email other entities in town encouraging adding ANOTHER "sports" station to the marketplace. I'm sure it's something that is already being considered ... KFAN could use some competition.
Obviously, for the last 11 months, I've had some time to think about a lot of things. A sports station generates revenue, which is more important than driving big-time ratings. A station with solid Twins, Wild, Gophers football, and Gophers basketball talk can work. KFAN's strengths lie in its Vikings and Wolves/NBA coverage.

You know what's the biggest slap in the face to U of M athletics? Above all else, KFAN devotes most of its time to stroking the egos and reassuring Vikings fans that their title is just around the corner, meanwhile they give 2 hours of airtime to a show that's entirely devoted to promoting their biggest rival. I realize there's a lot of Packer fans in the market, but can you see a day when WCCO devotes some airtime to "Badger Preview"?

You know what's the biggest slap in the face to U of M athletics? Above all else, KFAN devotes most of its time to stroking the egos and reassuring Vikings fans that their title is just around the corner, meanwhile they give 2 hours of airtime to a show that's entirely devoted to promoting their biggest rival. I realize there's a lot of Packer fans in the market, but can you see a day when WCCO devotes some airtime to "Badger Preview"?

Yeah, I just don't get KFAN anymore. My only problem is, living here in Austi, Texas....I am almost forced to listening to KFAN (stream) to catch up on any Minnesota sports updates. Sucks to be me. How can I start a radio show??:cool02:

The better idea: Email other entities in town encouraging adding ANOTHER "sports" station to the marketplace. I'm sure it's something that is already being considered ... KFAN could use some competition.
Obviously, for the last 11 months, I've had some time to think about a lot of things. A sports station generates revenue, which is more important than driving big-time ratings. A station with solid Twins, Wild, Gophers football, and Gophers basketball talk can work. KFAN's strengths lie in its Vikings and Wolves/NBA coverage.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but great post Doogs! I'm no insider, but would love to know if there is anyone/entity in town that would consider this.

Top Bottom