Time to move on from John Anderson

Weird time to write this after they played better baseball this weekend than at any point this year with a number of young newcomers making big impacts. Now results matter and they need to change but 3 tight losses this weekend against good teams you would've been much better bringing this up during last years abysmal times. Did you watch any of this weekends games?

He has survived a long time considering I don’t believe he ever took a team to Omaha.

He has survived a long time considering I don’t believe he ever took a team to Omaha.
You do realize that since 1984 there have been only 2 Big Ten teams to make it that far, right?

Judging a Big Ten baseball coach by CWS appearances is not fair.

You do realize that since 1984 there have been only 2 Big Ten teams to make it that far, right?

Judging a Big Ten baseball coach by CWS appearances is not fair.
Expecting him to make it atleast once in 40
Plus years isn’t unfair. He is an average coach and always has been, nothing special. He also only has made one super regional in that time.

Could this rumor be to add some heat to the situation?

Expecting him to make it atleast once in 40
Plus years isn’t unfair. He is an average coach and always has been, nothing special. He also only has made one super regional in that time.
I'm sure you realize that super-regionals weren't a thing until 1999 and prior the field was smaller than the current 64 teams and the regionals were larger....meaning you had to play better teams in NCAA in order to advance to the CWS. So yeah, he made 1 super regional in the 20 years it's been in existence. Without looking it up, I'd venture to guess that there has probably been about 5 Big Ten teams that have made it to supers in that time. It's the exception, not the rule for a Big Ten team to advance out of regionals.

You can only be judged against your peers and Anderson's peers are other Big Ten programs. Since 1982 he's been under .500 in conference play in 2008, 2012, 2015 and then the last 2 years. So from 1982 to 2007 he always had a winning record.
19 NCAA appearances
17 Big Ten championships (regular season and/or tournament)

Yeah.....nothing special.
So just to be clear, 17 Big Ten championships in 40 years. That's nearly every other year. If that is nothing special than you are expecting his successor to exceed that, right? That's the bar you're setting.

Last edited:

I'm sure you realize that super-regionals weren't a thing until 1999 and prior the field was smaller than the current 64 teams and the regionals were larger....meaning you had to play better teams in NCAA in order to advance to the CWS. So yeah, he made 1 super regional in the 20 years it's been in existence. Without looking it up, I'd venture to guess that there has probably been about 5 Big Ten teams that have made it to supers in that time. It's the exception, not the rule for a Big Ten team to advance out of regionals.

You can only be judged against your peers and Anderson's peers are other Big Ten programs. Since 1982 he's been under .500 in conference play in 2008, 2012, 2015 and then the last 2 years. So from 1982 to 2007 he always had a winning record.
19 NCAA appearances
17 Big Ten championships (regular season and/or tournament)

Yeah.....nothing special.
So just to be clear, 17 Big Ten championships in 40 years. That's nearly every other year. If that is nothing special than you are expecting his successor to exceed that, right? That's the bar you're setting.

Are you John's third wife? Asking for a friend

Top Bottom