Time to face facts

gopherbadgerman

Reaction score
This team, as it is, is just not that good. Losing Nolen has really hurt the team. I won't say anything about "what ifs" with RW and TM, because they never played, but losing Nolen has really hurt the squad. Without Nolen this is a 7-8 win B10 team, IMO, from what I have seen.

gbm

This team, as it is, is just not that good. Losing Nolen has really hurt the team. I won't say anything about "what ifs" with RW and TM, because they never played, but losing Nolen has really hurt the squad. Without Nolen this is a 7-8 win B10 team, IMO, from what I have seen.

At this point it is hard to argue about that.

:(

I resentfully have to agree. Our PG play and on the perimeter defense has not been the same since he was declared academically suspended.

Yes I would have to agree. Al did have a huge impact on this team. He did not score much but he was huge on defense and in the press and that has hurt us as of late. The team on the court right now is just average. I do think Tubby needs to shorten the bench a little. Get Cobbs and Bostick outta there. They just look lost and either turn the ball over or foul somebody. No need to go 10 deep in the bench this time in the season...

How dare you say anything negative about our beloved Gophers!? Don't give up on the season!!! You can take your negative opinion and shove it!! ;)
JK. You better watch out though, you might get blasted for this...

The only players I see any improvement in is Hoffarber and Sampson. Westbrook has gotten worse, johnson has stayed the same, iverson has regressed, joseph is the same, carter is the same.

Cobbs is terrible. Completely unsure why we recruited him.

Carter deserves more time. So does Rodney. Now that our bubble just burst, let's start playing these 2 more and see what we really got.

Devoe Joesph should never play another second as the PG. He has some of the most idiotic turn overs I have ever seen. He drives and falls down more than any guard i've ever seen. Half his passes are to dead space. Just a terrible terrible ball handler. I am so fed up with Joesph that I think i'd be fine with all the PG mins going to Cobbs and Allen.

Three periods in the game of 5, 5 and 3 minutes without a point is something seriously wrong. Soft passing out at the perimeter by West and Cobb is also something seriously wrong.

Playing hardball with Darius Smith's scholarship offer appears to have been a brilliant tactic.

Considering Smith has played in only 13 of a possible 24 games and is averaging 4 minutes in those 13 games for a mediocre UConn team, I'm not sure it makes a difference. He has taken 8 shots all year. He has four assists and five turnovers. He has scored 13 points in 13 games played.

Considering Smith has played in only 13 of a possible 24 games and is averaging 4 minutes in those 13 games for a mediocre UConn team, I'm not sure it makes a difference. He has taken 8 shots all year. He has four assists and five turnovers. He has scored 13 points in 13 games played.

Judging his game on this year's stats isn't fair considering he's stuck playing behind Jerome Dyson and Kemba Walker. A different situation that the present PG situation here.

It was Simms that killed them last night. What happend to RS defensively. Iverson didn't play much.

Devoe Joesph should never play another second as the PG. He has some of the most idiotic turn overs I have ever seen. He drives and falls down more than any guard i've ever seen. Half his passes are to dead space. Just a terrible terrible ball handler. I am so fed up with Joesph that I think i'd be fine with all the PG mins going to Cobbs and Allen.

I agree he's not a good point guard, but is he much better at shooting guard?

His poor shooting can't be blamed on him playing pg, he is getting the same good looks. Most his pts come from lay-ups, I don't recall him making a jumper over the past four games and besides Mich St and Indiana he has shot terrible. Devoe is not a ball handler and is a streaky, poor shooter... so what is he?

Judging his game on this year's stats isn't fair considering he's stuck playing behind Jerome Dyson and Kemba Walker. A different situation that the present PG situation here.

That's true.

Yes, this team misses Nolen. It is thin at pg and LW cannot play defense. However, let's not pretend Nolen would take this team anywhere. If Al is the starting pg next year, I really don't see this team being that much better even with TM. Al is the 9th or 10th best pg in the Big Ten. Some teams have two pg's better than Al (i.e. WI). Let's just hope Cory Joseph comes our way. We need a SIGNIFICANT upgrade at pg. It is the most important position in college basketball.

To poke fun at ya..... Neither does it necessarily prove that Darius Smith was/is a better player.

Yes, this team misses Nolen. It is thin at pg and LW cannot play defense. However, let's not pretend Nolen would take this team anywhere. If Al is the starting pg next year, I really don't see this team being that much better even with TM. Al is the 9th or 10th best pg in the Big Ten. Some teams have two pg's better than Al (i.e. WI). Let's just hope Cory Joseph comes our way. We need a SIGNIFICANT upgrade at pg. It is the most important position in college basketball.

I am not a huge Nolen fan, but I think he is more along the lines of the 6-7th best PG in the conference, not 9-10th. Regardless, I think you can win with him. By winning I mean top half of the B10, probably not winning the B10 though. Unless you have him surrounded by great players, but I agree he is not a huge "difference maker" player. But he is not a "difference maker" in the negative sense either, which both Cobbs and Joseph have been the past few games, he's not a major liability.

How dare you say anything negative about our beloved Gophers!? Don't give up on the season!!! You can take your negative opinion and shove it!! ;)
JK. You better watch out though, you might get blasted for this...

Actually, the reason you have been called out in the past is because you've been proven wrong all while being pretty full of yourself on several different occasions. Be that as it may, the team has pretty much packed it in for two of the last three games. At this point, I'm left to wonder how many more games the boys will fail to even show up for the rest of the way.

Top Bottom