Time for Royston to step up versus former team

JPIIGopher

Reaction score
It seems like our saftey play is giving up at least one long passing TD a game. Cal didn't beat us for a TD but I believe they beat us twice on deep passes. Northwestern connected on one deep TD pass and also missed on another as Kafka overshot a wide open reciever after we went up 28-24. Wisconsin is always a difficult offense to stop on the ground but this year they have a QB that can throw the deep ball with some accuracy.

Given that Royston has a history with the Badgers I think their may be some extra shots being taken down field. Toon, Graham, and Anderson are all guys capable of getting behind our safties. If you are Royston you have to be fired up to show your former team what they are missing out on. I'm sure the Badgers are hoping to send him the same message. It should be an interesting battle to watch play out on the field. Time for our secondary to step it up and give Tolzien a nightmare to remember in his TCF debut!!!

Credit where credit is due

Royston has been burned a few times this season, but he also came up big around the end of the half in the NU game. With NU threatening at the 10-15 yd line, he came up with a big pick to preserve the our lead.

I think he will be pumped for the game and will do just fine.

I'll give credit to Royston on a GREAT catch on his interception against NU. We definitely need more defenders able to hang on to footballs this year - we've dropped at least 6 interceptions this season.

That said - his coverage was not there on that play. Kafka threw it right over the head of the open receiver. Had his throw even been close, its probably a touchdown, or at the very least, first and goal inside the 5.

Our coverage downfield needs to be spot on this week. The BADgers love to run play action with deep crossing, corner, and fly routes, especially down the field with their TE's.

If there was ever a game where our linebackers show their speed, and Royston & Theret need to be at their best, it is Saturday.

Coverage like last week simply won't cut it.

Top Bottom