Time For Optimism

DoubleAlum

Reaction score
Even after a 3-1 start to the season, there weren't many reasons to be optimistic. We barely beat teams that we arguably should've dominated. Then came Northwestern and later Nebraska and things seemed very bleak, despite a strong performance over Purdue.

After watching the Michigan and OSU losses, ironically it's time to be optimistic. Leidner looks as good as he's ever been. The defense seems very strong. Last night we saw the Gophers apply pressure on a QB for the first time in a long while (interesting that Richardson was out). We've played two top teams very strong. It seems to me we've "turned a corner" in some way.

As a guy who tends to look at the "glass half empty", I'm excited for the rest of the season. Never believed we could compete against Michigan and OSU. Very impressed with the team right now.

Go Gophers!

Rashad Still has a touchdown 2 straight weeks. He's going to be a good one.

Even after a 3-1 start to the season, there weren't many reasons to be optimistic. We barely beat teams that we arguably should've dominated. Then came Northwestern and later Nebraska and things seemed very bleak, despite a strong performance over Purdue.

After watching the Michigan and OSU losses, ironically it's time to be optimistic. Leidner looks as good as he's ever been. The defense seems very strong. Last night we saw the Gophers apply pressure on a QB for the first time in a long while (interesting that Richardson was out). We've played two top teams very strong. It seems to me we've "turned a corner" in some way.

As a guy who tends to look at the "glass half empty", I'm excited for the rest of the season. Never believed we could compete against Michigan and OSU. Very impressed with the team right now.

Go Gophers!
I feel the same way only I'm already looking ahead to next year. Really think we'll beat Bucky and anything more is a bonus. I know those folks who won't settle for mediocrity won't like it because it's just so damn easy to crawl out of the hole we've been in for 50 years. But this season is what it is. Keep these coaches; keep some of this year's recruiting class; get healthy; easier schedule and I like our chances. Blow it up and start over seems stupid. The foundation is there.

I can't take your post seriously.
How can the expectation not be to beat Illinois?

"Beat Wisconsin and Anything else is a bonus"

In my opinion losing to Illinois would negate a Wisconsin or Iowa win.

I am feeling better about the games this year. However as we learned this year looking ahead is never good. We can't project injuries, how new people will play or what existing regulars may transfer. If we read the board last year at this time this was suppose to be the year and it has been a miserable year so far.

I have a feeling we could win the last 3 IF our offense can be more creative and take a few more chances. I also feel like the special teams needs to step up

H

Go Gophers!
Couldn't agree more. Also, there is no shame in being excited seeing your team compete hard with the top teams in the nation even if they come up short. If you can't appreciate that, you're better off becoming part of the very small number of fan bases in all of college football that can realistically live with expectations of winning every single week. Or, you can be miserable.

Go Gophers!

Leidner is better than he's ever been before. Late in the game the announcers said that you should shake his hand in admiration if you were a defensive lineman. A lot of QBs wouldn't have come back in the game after that one hit. He still commits a bit too quickly to a primary target and throws into heavy coverage too often but he's head and shoulders above where he was at the beginning of the year.

Maye is also better than he's been before. Lingen is developing into a very good tight end and Still had a really fine game last night. After an awful performance against Nebraska, the defense has had two good games against very high level competition.

In his post game comments, Meyer said that the Gophers had two games in a row where they've swung as hard as they could. If they continue to swing this hard for the rest of the season, I think they can win two games. The coaches have to realize, though, that they are far better off at this point trying to pass against elite competition than they are trying to run against it.

Leidner is better than he's ever been before. Late in the game the announcers said that you should shake his hand in admiration if you were a defensive lineman. A lot of QBs wouldn't have come back in the game after that one hit. He still commits a bit too quickly to a primary target and throws into heavy coverage too often but he's head and shoulders above where he was at the beginning of the year.

Maye is also better than he's been before. Lingen is developing into a very good tight end and Still had a really fine game last night. After an awful performance against Nebraska, the defense has had two good games against very high level competition.

In his post game comments, Meyer said that the Gophers had two games in a row where they've swung as hard as they could. If they continue to swing this hard for the rest of the season, I think they can win two games. The coaches have to realize, though, that they are far better off at this point trying to pass against elite competition than they are trying to run against it.

I've never said this before: I think we can the "run the table, baby" and finish 7-5.

Go Gophers!

Let me pour you half a glass of kool-aid.

I feel the same way only I'm already looking ahead to next year. Really think we'll beat Bucky and anything more is a bonus. I know those folks who won't settle for mediocrity won't like it because it's just so damn easy to crawl out of the hole we've been in for 50 years. But this season is what it is. Keep these coaches; keep this year's recruiting class; get healthy; easier schedule and I like our chances. Blow it up and start over seems stupid. The bricks are there.

+1 FIFY So much hard work has been done to get where we are now. We have the pieces in place and the momentum. Next season is going to be a good one.

I have a feeling we could win the last 3 IF our offense can be more creative and take a few more chances. I also feel like the special teams needs to step up

Yes to both. We've simply wasted too many possessions this year (especially in the first half) by running too many rushing plays that simply aren't working. It's been a bit better since Kill stepped down but there are still too many wasted opportunities and too many 3rd and 9s. You also can't depend upon the defense to have as good or better of a game against all of the remaining opponents as they had against OSU.

Rashad Still has a touchdown 2 straight weeks. He's going to be a good one.
The younger players are a reason for optimism, plus Mitch has really improved. I think the Gophers can win two of the next three. Iowa should be a wild night - the Gophers are a very scrappy team now.

Despite the losses you have to tip your cap to this team. The Oline has given a little protection against two very good front sevens and the passing game has been good.
KJ Maye has been so impressive!
Was great to see Rodrick Williams shine a bit late last night too.

The patched-up O-Line should get more credit than they are being given IMHO. They're not looking so good against the run it's true, though they are running against stacked lines that are expecting a run and are geared-up to stop it.

On Pass Blocking? They only allowed one sack last night to the 3 (4?) that tOSU's O-line did. Don't know about "hits or hurries" between the teams but Mitch on many occasions had some time to throw the ball. And not because he's rolling out a whole lot or taking-off to negate the pressure.

The guys up front should be getting some credit at least.

Big fan of RS88. Gonna be a good one.

Remind me again why we took Demry Croft's redshirt off if he isn't going to be used?
While Leidner is tough, it's easy to see who throws the better ball...and Croft has only seen a couple series.

I can't take your post seriously.
How can the expectation not be to beat Illinois?

"Beat Wisconsin and Anything else is a bonus"

In my opinion losing to Illinois would negate a Wisconsin or Iowa win.

I think a lot of us would be fine if our only win from here on out results in the axe being home. Illinois means nothing in the grand scheme of things and a bowl at the tier we'd qualify for is meaningless outside of the practices we're allowed from it.

Top Bottom