Tim Brewster Press Conference Notes, 11-3-09

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Here are the notes from Tim Brewster's weekly press conference:

-Weekly Team Awards were as follows:
-Offensive Player of the Week: Adam Weber (Also Big Ten POW)
-Defensive Player of the Week: Garret Brown (Also Big Ten POW)
-Special Forces Player of the Week: DeLeon Eskridge
-Hard Hat Hit of the Week: Split between Kevin Whaley, Simoni Lawrence, and John Hoese
-Lunch Pail Award Winner: Barrett Moen
-Extra Effort Award Winner: Duane Bennett
-Great Teammate: Nick Tow-Arnett
-Scout Team Offensive Player of the Week: Kyle Henderson
-Scout Team Defensive Player of the Week: Sam Maresh

-He felt that last Saturday's win was an outstanding performance by the Gophers, crediting an excellent week of preparation for the win, as it set the tone for the game

-He loved how the team responded to Michigan State after the Spartans got back into the game, always answering the bell

-He said that there was nothing better to him as a coach than to go into the locker room after the win on Saturday and give the game ball to Eric Decker, and how proud of him he was

-The highlight of the game to him was watching the young receivers on this team step up to the challenge that they were given, with Decker going down

-He specifically mentioned all of the receivers, but particularly talked about Nick Tow-Arnett's performance in the game, and what a tremendous game he had on Saturday

-He thought the defense played well, save for a few long plays during the game. He thought they played extremely physical, and were constantly "running downhill"; it was great for him to see

-He said that the goal-line stand by the defense was "big-time college football, I tell you."

-He thought they committed too many penalties in the game, and that they would sit down and go over each penalty this week, as they do every week

-In talking about Illinois, he mentioned that they have an awful lot of talent on their team, and that their record is not indicative of their team; anyone who saw them play Michigan on Saturday should realize this

-He has a lot of respect for Juice Williams, as he is a kid who's had a lot of success at Illinois, and has led them to the Rose Bowl

-On the play of Adam Weber, he said that not only did Weber play well, but the other 10 guys on the field at any given time did a great job of helping him, be it by getting open as a receiver, blocking on the line, or anything else

-He also mentioned that Weber was very decisive on Saturday night, and that might have also made a difference on Saturday

-When asked about instant replay, he said that he believes there has been some issues with it overall, and that he would like to see more consistency with the calls, saying that a review doesn't mean anything if whoever is conducting the replays is inconsistent; he added that every coach wants to see more consistency with the calls, in general

-He said he's always going to be excited to coach against the University of Illinois, saying that there's "always a little something there" to coaching against the school you went to. He compared it to playing your little brother in basketball in the back yard. He added that he's always excited to coach, whether it's Illinois or anyone else, however

-When asked if he was Valedictorian at Illinois, Brewster replied, "It was close...the degree was political science."

-On the 26 penalties called between the two schools on Saturday, his reply was, "I don't know that that's a conversation that needs to take place," but later said that he agreed with some of the calls, but there were others he didn't

-He said that coaching against Ron Zook is always fun, since he brings so much passion to the game, and that he has done a great job of recruiting at Illinois

-When asked if the Gophers had played their best football yet this season, his reply was that "I'd love to see us play the most complete football game we can...have we done that? I certainly hope not."

-When asked about Michael Carter, he replied that they handle everything internally, and that they would handle this case in that manner as well

-He also said that on late nights, players have to remember that they are different, and that they must make great decisions based on their situation, based on the fact that they're in the public eye

-He said that others consider him a disciplinarian, and that he's constantly worried about each of these players

-When asked about the play of Sam Maresh in practice, he said that he is playing really well in practice, and is flying around the practice field with extreme physicality...he added that "he makes things very hard for our offense in practice."

-He talked about the play of Da'Jon McKnight, and how he's still learning the game, considering he only played one year of high school football. He said that he looks more like a basketball player right now, but his length can be a positive as a wide receiver. He added that he's learning more and more each day, and that he's gaining more confidence in the process

-On Saturday's environment at TCF Bank Stadium, "I thought the crowd was absolutely awesome. they were without question the 12th man." He said that Gopher fans have been waiting for 28 years for an atmosphere like that

-He added that following the game, Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio commented to him after the game how awesome the stadium was and how great the crowd was on Saturday

-He loved how the team responded to Michigan State after the Spartans got back into the game, always answering the bell

Right there is the difference between Brewster and Mason. I firmly believe a Mason-era team would have lost this game.

Good stuff, I didn't realize McKnight played only one year of high school ball. I think we saw a glimpse of the player he could be Saturday night.

This thought just entered my mind, but McKnight kind of reminds me of Ryan Thelwell. I agree that the development arc on this kid could really be something.

-He loved how the team responded to Michigan State after the Spartans got back into the game, always answering the bell.

Taking a quick look back. The Gophers have won four games this year in which they have trailed in the fourth quarter. From 2002-2006 they only had two such games.

I think depth has a lot to do with this.

Taking a quick look back. The Gophers have won four games this year in which they have trailed in the fourth quarter. From 2002-2006 they only had two such games.

I think depth has a lot to do with this.

Purdue 2005 & Oregon 2003 I'm guessing.......

Top Bottom