Ticket Sales

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
There have been some threads that talked about ticket sales and berths being based on who travels well. The only correction to this is to only allow bowls to pick teams by their record. Northwestern, Minnesota, and Indiana will always put down unless they make the Rose Bowl, how is that fair? The big names travel well partly because they go to great bowl locations and better dates for travel.

If I were a NW fan, I would have no excitement about a game that I know we should not be in. Lower tier programs get one excellent season every 10 years and they should be rewarded for it.

If I were a NW fan, I would have no excitement about a game that I know we should not be in. Lower tier programs get one excellent season every 10 years and they should be rewarded for it.

I don't find this practice all that offensive, because it's not as though fan interest is the only criteria the bowls use. If Wisconsin had also jumped Northwestern, then we might have an argument. But had Northwestern beat Indiana (like everyone else in the conference), they wouldn't have been jumped by Iowa. And for practical purposes, Iowa's win over Penn State weighed more heavily in their favor than just one win. So just looking at records and head-to-head play can be misleading.

Besides, Northwestern is going to have its hands full with Missouri. It's not liked they were downgraded to the Motor City bowl to play some 7-5 MAC team. This is an important game.

I don't find this practice all that offensive, because it's not as though fan interest is the only criteria the bowls use. If Wisconsin had also jumped Northwestern, then we might have an argument. But had Northwestern beat Indiana (like everyone else in the conference), they wouldn't have been jumped by Iowa. And for practical purposes, Iowa's win over Penn State weighed more heavily in their favor than just one win. So just looking at records and head-to-head play can be misleading.

Besides, Northwestern is going to have its hands full with Missouri. It's not liked they were downgraded to the Motor City bowl to play some 7-5 MAC team. This is an important game.

Wisconsin couldn't have jumped Northwestern. Wisconsin won 7 games and Northwestern won 9 games. Teams are only permitted to jump when the records are within 1 game.

How are our ticket sales going? I haven't heard a thing.

We all learned with Texas that head-to-head means nothing. If you are ok without tie-breakers for conference bowl seating, then you must be fine with the BCS as well. If every conference had a tie-breaking system based with on the field performance and not computers, most arguements would be quieted.

The NFL can do it and teams on the outside know exactly why their season came to an end.

I would screw tradition and go with 8, 12 team conference. Only allow 96 teams to compete at the top level. Each conference will have two divisions and the division winners go to the playoffs. 16 in the playoffs and integrate the bowls. Conferences should play 8-10 conference games and then 2-4 non-conference games. Tie-Breakers produce based on statistics and W/L record.

We can dream can't we?

I read that Wisconsin is way down and Ohio State has it's lowest sales since they went to the Alamo Bowl. If Bowls were smart this year, they would have chosen teams close by. Ohio State should be in New Orleans and Utah in Tempe.

Check this out
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2008/12/15/humanitarian-bowl-ticket-sales-in-the-dozens/
Humanitarian Bowl Ticket Sales In The Dozens

http://www.badgerbeat.com/news/article?id=321759
Senior associate athletic director Vince Sweeney estimated Wednesday the school would use about 3,000 of its allotted 12,000 tickets by the end of the week. That includes ticket sales to the public and tickets for UW's traveling party.

It's impossible to predict of course, but where do you think the U would be at in terms of tickets sales had we been invited to the Champs Bowl? I have a number of friends who would've traveled to FLA. Not faulting the Champs folks, as Wisc beat us fair and square...just wondering aloud if they might've done better at the gate with Minny this year (bizarro, I know!!!).

As to Maxy, the man that pays the piper gets to call the tune. The bowls pay the teams, so they get to pick which team they want. And it makes perfect sense that the bowl games want teams that will sell tickets, so they'll make more money. You can't fault them for that - they're not a charity.

And the Wisky example shows exactly why nobody should spend 1 minute worrying about our reputation for not traveling well - it's there because no one pays any attention to how teams travel to minor bowls and the reputations will not change until you go to a major bowl. If the Wisky numbers hold up, their traveling will be absolutely terrible, yet will they still get picked ahead of us next year if we have identical records (or even if they have 1 less win) and even though our bowl game this year is likely to be sold out? Yes, they will.

If I had the kind of scratch to be able to afford a bowl game trip this year, I wouldn't limit myself to calling the Gophers ticket office so that my purchase would "count." It doesn't count even if you do because reputation are won and lost in the big years, not the Insight years.

It looks like Iowa has requested more tickets from the Outback Bowl.

Top Bottom