Three questions

oak_street1981

Reaction score
1. Will Brewster still have a job here in two years from today?
1b. Is Robert Schnelker dead and if so would he still turn down windbag Timmy's OC job offer?

2. Will Maturi still have job here in two years from today?
2b. Who will micro-manage all the meaningless tasks he micro-manages today? Will the boathouse sink into the mud?

3. Is Mark Dienhart smarter than Joel Maturi?

1b. Is Robert Schnelker dead and if so would he still turn down windbag Timmy's OC job offer?

2b. Who will micro-manage all the meaningless tasks he micro-manages today? Will the boathouse sink into the mud?

4. Can oak_street1981 count?

I'm looking to figure out what people don't like about Maturi. Even if you dislike Brewster, didn't he bring in Tubby Smith? Hasn't he been instrumental in the new football stadium? Isn't he working for a new baseball stadium? Aren't the Gopher women doing a good job in basketball? Aren't the hockey and wrestling teams doing good? What's the beef with Maturi? Serious question, no sarcasm intended.

Borton sucks, J Robinson has nothing to do with Maturi,

I'm looking to figure out what people don't like about Maturi. Even if you dislike Brewster, didn't he bring in Tubby Smith? Hasn't he been instrumental in the new football stadium? Isn't he working for a new baseball stadium? Aren't the Gopher women doing a good job in basketball? Aren't the hockey and wrestling teams doing good? What's the beef with Maturi? Serious question, no sarcasm intended.

and Tubby fell into the U's lap. J. Maturi has little to do with anything but the decison to keep Borton, who cannot keep athletic players in state.

Something is very rotten in Borton's program.

My dislikes with Maturi are that he has cost the university significant money by prematurely offering contract extensions to coaches who we then fired shortly thereafter(Mason, Monson). This money could have been used to attract coaches or improve facilities. There were also rumors that he wanted to offer Brewster an extension this offseason as well which would have been premature. He did not have the moxy to make the tough calls and dismiss the coaches, rather Bruininks was forced to make those calls and then sent in Maturi to carry it out. As a side note watch him at the gopher events that he attends and tell me if you see him cheer for the teams he is supposed to represent even once. There is also the perception that his heart and passion stills resides in Madison.

My dislikes with Maturi are that he has cost the university significant money by prematurely offering contract extensions to coaches who we then fired shortly thereafter(Mason, Monson). This money could have been used to attract coaches or improve facilities. There were also rumors that he wanted to offer Brewster an extension this offseason as well which would have been premature. He did not have the moxy to make the tough calls and dismiss the coaches, rather Bruininks was forced to make those calls and then sent in Maturi to carry it out. As a side note watch him at the gopher events that he attends and tell me if you see him cheer or do the rouser even once. There is also the perception that his heart and passion stills resides in Madison.

GG, politically, Maturi couldn't fire Mason nor Monson. He was going in front of the legislature for a new stadium and had to show stability.

1. Brewster will still be here in two years.
1b. Robert Schnelker is 80, and I will not answer your other rediculous question.

2. Yes.
2b. Well, let's see - our program just placed 13th in the NATION in the AD Cup. Man...we should definitely be number 1 among athletic programs, how pitiful of us. Whining about that is like Kentucky fans whining about how poorly Tubby did as their coach.

3. I don't know. The smartest person in the world may make a terrible AD, so I don't think this is an applicable question. Dienhart was tainted by the Clem Haskins scandal, but I have no clue as to his intelligence.

Level of interest

I don't remember the interest level in Gopher football ever being higher than it is now. I was in school during Mason's best years and people still didn't care that much. Mason didn't really care about folks being interested in the program, Brewster does and that is exactly what this program has needed. Regardless of tactics, someone had to remind everyone that the Gophers have a Big Ten football team and that it's okay to be excited about it. The message boards have never been as popular, regardless of good or bad views, the interest is there now.

People who want Brewster gone after 2 seasons have alterior motives. It doesn't make sense and will never make sense to evaluate a college coach after 2 seasons. We'll talk after season 4.

Is it possible that of all the BCS conferences the Big Ten is currently the most vulnerable for a reversal of fortune re: teams? With Mich down maybe the sales pitch to coaches is the Big Ten is unstable and a great place to come in and make a name for yourself.

My dislikes with Maturi are that he has cost the university significant money by prematurely offering contract extensions to coaches who we then fired shortly thereafter(Mason, Monson). This money could have been used to attract coaches or improve facilities.

Facilities...a new football stadium? Is that an improved facility? New baseball stadium? New scoreboards in both Williams and Mariucci? A new boathouse (regardless of your opinion of it)?

Coaches....the highest paid defensive coordinator in the Big Ten? One of the highest paid football staffs in the conference at the time? A hall of famer men's basketball coach? Did you want to get a better wrestling coach? A better hockey coach? Where exactly do we need better coaches? Borton....who just knocked off Ohoi State on the road? Who just brought in a top 20 class full of Minnesotans? Just because she can't sign a flake like Taylor Hill (and her father)?

There is also the perception that his heart and passion stills resides in Madison.

So you believe last Thursday, Maturi was rooting for the Badgers against Tubby and the Gophers? When Brew and his crew were in Madison in November, you believe Maturi was rooting for Bielemi? Why was Tim Brewster hired here and not Paul Chryst if he loved the Badgers so much? Why wasn't a Badger hired for the men's basketball job?

I hate to break it to you, but I'm guessing Maturi still has *gasp* friends in the Wisconsin athletic department. I'd be more concerned if he didnt.

Facilities...a new football stadium? Is that an improved facility? New baseball stadium? New scoreboards in both Williams and Mariucci? A new boathouse (regardless of your opinion of it)?

Coaches....the highest paid defensive coordinator in the Big Ten? One of the highest paid football staffs in the conference at the time? A hall of famer men's basketball coach? Did you want to get a better wrestling coach? A better hockey coach? Where exactly do we need better coaches? Borton....who just knocked off Ohoi State on the road? Who just brought in a top 20 class full of Minnesotans? Just because she can't sign a flake like Taylor Hill (and her father)?

So you believe last Thursday, Maturi was rooting for the Badgers against Tubby and the Gophers? When Brew and his crew were in Madison in November, you believe Maturi was rooting for Bielemi? Why was Tim Brewster hired here and not Paul Chryst if he loved the Badgers so much? Why wasn't a Badger hired for the men's basketball job?

I hate to break it to you, but I'm guessing Maturi still has *gasp* friends in the Wisconsin athletic department. I'd be more concerned if he didnt.

having to borrow from the universities general fund to pay off two coaches in one year that you just gave extensions to is not good management. Putting the A.D. in the red is not good management. this is all money that could be used in other areas, maybe towards the baseball stadium or a new basketball practice facility or for assistant coaches. I also never said he rooted against the gophers, he just doesn't cheer at all. It is hard to go out and fund raise when you are meek like a mouse and have the personality of a corpse.

It is hard to go out and fund raise when you are meek like a mouse and have the personality of a corpse.

The U just raised near 80 million dollars in the past two years alone for a football stadium....without having a T Boone Pickens or a Phil Knight in their back pocket....without support from the public like the Vikings. Yep, no fund raising.

According to the previous Yudof regime, the Gophers were projected to be over 30 million in debt by 2006. Two years later, theres a new football stadium and the budget was balanced. Pretty remarkable.

The U just raised near 80 million dollars in the past two years alone for a football stadium....without having a T Boone Pickens or a Phil Knight in their back pocket....without support from the public like the Vikings. Yep, no fund raising.

According to the previous Yudof regime, the Gophers were projected to be over 30 million in debt by 2006. Two years later, theres a new football stadium and the budget was balanced. Pretty remarkable.

What are you talking about, there was public funding for a good chunk of the cost of the stadium.

http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_Stories/Legislature_approves_oncampus_football_stadium_for.html

GG it takes money to make money. we will bring in alot more money now due to the interest in our sports

never makes sense

It never makes sense to me why people are so hard on Maturi. I can only speculate that it's because he spent some time in Madison.

Well sorry folks, but as hard as I find it to swallow like the rest of you, the AD in Madison at the time Maturi was there as assistant AD (Pat Richter) put together a very good department that had previously been in shambles. I'm glad we brought someone in who went through that experience and then built up departments at Miami (OH) and Denver University as AD.

Our entire department could have taken a major nosedive in the post-Dienhart, post-Clem, post-Mac Boston era. That it hasn't is itself a major accomplishment. That we're actually on the rise in basketball and, yes, football while maintaining our standard in hockey, wrestling, and other sports, is a major credit to Mr. Maturi.

Individual decisions can be fairly criticized, but you have to look at the body of work over time. The department is heading in the right direction.

You may not like his personality, but nobody in the business works harder than this guy and he has gotten results for the department.

I agree

It never makes sense to me why people are so hard on Maturi. I can only speculate that it's because he spent some time in Madison.

Well sorry folks, but as hard as I find it to swallow like the rest of you, the AD in Madison at the time Maturi was there as assistant AD (Pat Richter) put together a very good department that had previously been in shambles. I'm glad we brought someone in who went through that experience and then built up departments at Miami (OH) and Denver University as AD.

Our entire department could have taken a major nosedive in the post-Dienhart, post-Clem, post-Mac Boston era. That it hasn't is itself a major accomplishment. That we're actually on the rise in basketball and, yes, football while maintaining our standard in hockey, wrestling, and other sports, is a major credit to Mr. Maturi.

Individual decisions can be fairly criticized, but you have to look at the body of work over time. The department is heading in the right direction.

You may not like his personality, but nobody in the business works harder than this guy and he has gotten results for the department.

I have had several conversations with Maturi at various sports functions and he always impresses me as positive, intelligent, thoughtful, strategic, fun to talk to and bleeding gold!

Top Bottom