Three Questions regarding Penn State and Big 10 Football

Reaction score
1. Will the Big 10 have to rebalance the 2 divisions? The "Leaders" (see question 2) will be much weaker, top to bottom, than the Legends for years.

2. Will the Big 10 be forced to rename the two divisions? PSU in a "Leaders" Division is too much to stomach.

3. Now that the wins from the past 13 years have been vacated, will the BTN show any PSU games from that era?

No to all. The original divisions were not balanced as it was all about splitting OSU and Michigan. They can't realign every time a sanction comes down. The future will be OSU facing whom ever survives the other division's gauntlet for years to come. The Badgers can fog a mirror and make Indy this year.

4th question

1. Will the Big 10 have to rebalance the 2 divisions? The "Leaders" (see question 2) will be much weaker, top to bottom, than the Legends for years.

2. Will the Big 10 be forced to rename the two divisions? PSU in a "Leaders" Division is too much to stomach.

3. Now that the wins from the past 13 years have been vacated, will the BTN show any PSU games from that era?

A 4th question would be revisiting the annual "cross-over" game for Nebraska/Penn St specifically and the overall process in general. As it stands, the Cornhuskers will essentially get a freebie for the next 7-8 yrs.

No to all. The original divisions were not balanced as it was all about splitting OSU and Michigan. They can't realign every time a sanction comes down. The future will be OSU facing whom ever survives the other division's gauntlet for years to come. The Badgers can fog a mirror and make Indy this year.

It wasn't just about Michigan/OSU. It was also about splitting Nebby and PSU (the other prime national brands in the conference). "Competitive balance" is just code for "split up the TV money generating programs". To a lesser extent it was also about splitting Iowa and Wisconsin...that one would be more based on recent historical performance versus TV money.

If PSU's brand is tarnished than a key part of the 4 teams they wanted to split don't fit into the balance anymore. I still doubt they change things, but PSU was an important part of "competitive balance."

Another question (2 Legends teams in the title game?)

This may have been addressed elsewhere, but I'm too lazy to look for it.

With Penn State ineligible for the conference title game, will the B1G put in some type of provision? For example, if somehow Penn State wins a Leaders title, instead of Ohio State or Wisconsin getting an easy path to the title game, is there any chance that the B1G would make the 2nd team in the title game the one (from either division) with the best conference record (following tiebreakers, if necessary)? Seems unfair that OSU or Bucky could skate to the title game with a 2nd-place Leaders finish.

With Penn State ineligible for the conference title game, will the B1G put in some type of provision? For example, if somehow Penn State wins a Leaders title, instead of Ohio State or Wisconsin getting an easy path to the title game, is there any chance that the B1G would make the 2nd team in the title game the one (from either division) with the best conference record (following tiebreakers, if necessary)? Seems unfair that OSU or Bucky could skate to the title game with a 2nd-place Leaders finish.

The Big Ten will have to decide that. With these sanctions, it seems unlikely that Penn State will win their division, but it is possible. They may well let the second place team in the chamionship game. The alternative would be to let Penn State play in the championship game, but not get the automatic BCS bowl bid. That would mean that the team in the Leaders division would already have the BCS bowl bid sewn up.

SelectionSunday said:

I was thinking about this. 2012 Michigan goes 8-0, Gophers go 7-1, OSU goes 7-1, PSU goes 7-1, and UW goes 4-4 with losses to MN, OSU, & PSU, but qualifies for B10 title game which it wins and goes to Rose Bowl. 7-1 Gophers go to Orlando.

That would be downright nuts.

The alternative would be to let Penn State play in the championship game, but not get the automatic BCS bowl bid.

The B1G has already said PSU is not allowed into the championship game. I expect we'll see the same solution as the Pac-12 used this year (i.e. 2nd place team goes to title game, any tiebreakers do not include the team that has no access to the title game).

If they would have gone east-west......the west would be much stronger than the east.

Unfortuneately we are the the strong division either way.

If they would have gone east-west......the west would be much stronger than the east.

Unfortuneately we are the the strong division either way.

East/West would be:
- Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Purdue, OSU, PSU in the East
- Wisconsin, Nebby, Iowa, Northwestern, Illinois, and Minnesota in the West.

The West would be stronger this season when OSU is facing sanctions. After than they would be equal at worst.

I may have missed something, but is it completely out of the realm of possibilities that PSU could be removed from the Big 10?

I may have missed something, but is it completely out of the realm of possibilities that PSU could be removed from the Big 10?
I think so, but that isn't based on anything factual. My gut says if they were going to they'd do it ASAP. But the B1G could certainly vote to do so at a later time.

It is completely out of the realm of possibilities that PSU could be removed from the Big Ten. You're not not missing anything but Il Denaro.

I would think that either the B1G would have held off making a statement or that they would have stated that PSU's membership was still being reviewed when they announced their punishment. I hate to say it, but unless Notre Dame was ready to replace them, it hurts the other 11 schools of the B1G almost as much as PSU. It would leave the B1G hockey with 5 teams and no automatic bid, it would lose the state of Pennsylvania for BTN, plus they'd lose the title game (must have 12 team conference).

Penn St will have an okay season this yr unless they have a mass exodus of players right away.

After this season Penn St will be a doormat in the Big Ten for at least 10 yrs. Some yrs not even competitive.

I think the wheels will come off almost immediately...

Players declaring early this year, transfer outs this week and next spring, level of recruiting talent who will not see a bowl game? The PSU team that faces the Gophers in 2013-14 will be decimated.

It is completely out of the realm of possibilities that PSU could be removed from the Big Ten. You're not not missing anything but Il Denaro.

I guess I am just not sure Penn State is going to bounce back as an incredibly lucrative football program anytime soon. I think I read or heard somewhere that football is the only sport that generates revenue and they are going to be extremely down for a few years.

I guess I don't see Penn State going back to the "way it was" anytime soon, even after sanctions.

I would think their jigglyball program is close to profitable, isn't it?

If ND had said yes 20 years ago, would there be a need for this thread?

Let's play the games first and see what really happens before we get our undies in a bunch.

If ND had said yes 20 years ago, would there be a need for this thread?

About the need for several other threads, as humorous as some of them are? (Especially Off Topic Board)

"Gophers go 7-1"

That would be downright nuts.[/QUOTE]

I always love that one.:eek:

It wasn't just about Michigan/OSU. It was also about splitting Nebby and PSU (the other prime national brands in the conference). "Competitive balance" is just code for "split up the TV money generating programs". To a lesser extent it was also about splitting Iowa and Wisconsin...that one would be more based on recent historical performance versus TV money.

If PSU's brand is tarnished than a key part of the 4 teams they wanted to split don't fit into the balance anymore. I still doubt they change things, but PSU was an important part of "competitive balance."

Many Gopherholers rightly pointed-out that both the divisional alignments and the names were a disaster. Any doubt has now been removed. We were spot-on. You cannot project competetive balance. It has failed every time it has been tried. And for precisely the reason we can expect: the unsuspected will inavriably happen. Over the long term, strict Geographic alignment yields the most compelling product regardless of competetive balance. The sooner the conference moves to an East/West alignment the better.

Wisky's reward for playing in theEast Division is that they will now play in the CCG 80% of the time over the next 10 years.

Goldmember said:
Wisky's reward for playing in theEast Division is that they will now play in the CCG 80% of the time over the next 10 years.

False. This year, yes, but then Urban will own them.

Top Bottom