Thoughts on the OSU game

Sparlimb

Reaction score
A needed win as it will help right the ship and let the kids know they can compete. It also helped us fans know they can compete. After looking pretty bad against Mich St. and just as bad the first 10 minutes of this game something clicked. It was nice to see the recognition that fast breaks could beat the zone defense OSU was using. But most of all it was nice to see more players finding their groove. Part of the beauty of a deep team is that if someone isn't getting it done, there is someone else on the bench who is ready to try. Devoe Joseph had maybe his best game with Paul Carter and Devron Bostick making some nice plays. Damien Johnson continues his hard work and steady play today. I'm never quite sure how DJ gets to 10 points, but he manages it. His defensive work is still second to none on the team. I like that Joseph showed he can come in and play well at PG when Al is on the bench. We need that. Our young frontline looked overmatched again, so Tubby decided to beat them with perimeter players. It worked. It will be interesting to see how we look against Iowa and Penn St, both games I'd like to win but certainly we could lose either. Good win today for the squad...

I agree...multifaceted good win

Obviously the win is the biggest thing and we definitely needed that. But I see some other good things that happened today that bode well for the longer term.

Some of the new guys are showing signs of progress that provides even more depth and flexibility for Tubby. Particularly Devoe Joseph and Paul Carter showed me that they are adjusting and improving. Joseph had the turnover at the end, but he ran the team well with Nolen in foul trouble in the first half. He showed he can score AND get others involved.

Strangely enough, I think that the way the game ended will pay dividends. Tubby is going to have some things to talk about with the guys and an opportunity to teach. It's great to the learning experience and the win at the same time. If the guys had just run away with the game, it might have given them too much confidence. The experience of dealing with the pressure D that OSU brought and having to make the late free throws will help long term.

So many positives today that I think will get muted somewhat by the less than stellar finish to the game. For the vast majority of the game the Gophers were in control and had a lot of guys step up and make plays. Devoe was absolutely huge today stepping in for Al when he got his 2nd foul. I also was really happy to see Paul Carter have such a positive impact on the game. Neither Bostick nor Carter was among the first 10 players Tubby put in the game, yet Carter had quite a few nice moments there and Bostick nailed a big 3 in transition. I know you thought the bigs were over matched, but I didn't feel that way at all with Colton Iverson on the floor.

Very big win for the tournament hopes this year and we need to keep the momentum going on the road at Iowa. That will be a man to man defense game, as Iowa's best chance to win involves hitting a lot of 3's. We can't start slow on the road, so I hope that Tubby can find a way to get the team to play better in the initial minutes.

It was mentioned that our young front line looked overmatched. I'd have to disagree. I felt Iverson did a lot of things well, particularily on defense where he altered shots and blocked out well. If you watch him off the ball he really plays good position d and plays physical.

Sampson could not handle Turner on the perimeter, but when he was playing the 5 spot he looked more physical.

Finally, some people have been ready to run Bostick off. He made OSU pay a ton of attention to him, opening things up for others. In addition, his defense and position rebounding was improved. He and Carter will add a lot to the team before the season is over. They are athletic and Bostick can score in spurts.

All in All, the Gophers won as a TEAM today. PERIOD!!!

20 Assists on 25 FGM

And outrebounded the Buckeyes.

The 2 most impressive stats from boxscore.

I love that we went on that 16-0 run without most of our starters in, and that Tubby kept in the same crew for a long time, since they were playing so well. That is really encouraging to see.

For sure, Big L: If you produce, you play. Competition within the team creates better competition against an opponent. I loved that Tubby started the 2nd half with the same crew that outscored and outplayed tOSU in the 1st half ending 19-2 run.

I thought that Devoe, nolen played well. Bostick and Carter had some nice momemts as did Iverson, Johnson played a good game adn an overall solid team effor with the great crowd. I saw Rodney at the game as well. Sampson III really needs to gain weight and be more aggressive. He doesnt have the raw overall talent and athletic ability to take over games while being somewhat passive.

Tubby finally figured out to sub players based on what they are good at and not just height. Carter can come in for Johnson, and do similar things. Hoffarber and Abu-Shamala rarely saw the floor at the same time, and since they are essentially the same player, they should never be on the court at the same time. Carter also brings much more to the table than Williams, even if he lacks height. And Sampson was just fine once he wasn't guarding Turner. Not sure what Tubby was thinking with that.

Barn.... Re: Sampson guarding Turner...How is RSIII gonnal learn unless he tries it. OK so now RSIII is thinking: "Man I can do it, but I have a lot to learn" and go from there. It's called goals and accomplishments.

I think the coaching staff, Tubby included, knows what they are doing.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps.

However, it was obvious from the tip that RS was not going to be able to D Turner - Turner had his way for the first 6-8 minutes.

How did ots determine that it was the best to have RS guard ET?

Barn.... Re: Sampson guarding Turner...How is RSIII gonnal learn unless he tries it. OK so now RSIII is thinking: "Man I can do it, but I have a lot to learn" and go from there. It's called goals and accomplishments.

It isn't about learning. A 7' guy should never have to guard a 6'6'' guy by design. Sampson was more or less set up to fail.

Don, you actually wrote a post without using the word PUPS - thank you very much!

I will echo one of the points I have read a few times...the fact that Devoe is who lead us in our 16-0 run is outstanding. I have feared Nolen coming out of the game so far this season, but hopefully Joseph got the shot of confidence he needed today to realize he can run this team when he needs to. he has been developing nicely as a Frosh so far, but he made HUGE strides today.

Top Bottom