Thoughts on David Pittman?

Go Gophers Rah

Section 238 Row 21
Reaction score
This time last year, I was predicting that David Pittman would be the most exciting player on the team. He was a 4 star junior college transfer who set a ton of records at Pasadena College (one of the best Junior College programs). I thought we'd see him play at least 5 plays in every game; likely at two or 3 different positions (QB, WR, KR or PR and maybe even at RB).

He was injured almost all of last year (hamsting?) and only made an impact during the last two games. I think he might have lined up on special teams around mid season, but his 4 catches for 32 yards all came during the Iowa and Kansas games. Obviously, the highlight was the lone pass he threw - 75 yards on the opening offensive play in the Insight Bowl. I believe it was a lateral from Weber to Pittman and then Pittman throwing it - but I'm not positive.

Now with Gray in the picture, does Pittman lose a lot of the promise that he had? All the ways I had imagined Pittman contributing are also the roles that I would see Gray fulfilling.

I would think the best solution would be to reorient Pittman as a full-fledged receiver rather that as a "slash" player and then focus on developing Gray's talents at the QB position.

What do others think of Pittman's potential with the team?

First off Gray was always a pure QB. They weren't going to use him as a slash guy. The coaches always saw him as a pure QB who happened to have great athletic ability and we're seeing that now as he is a natural passer.

As for Pittman I don't know what to think. He should be healthy now but we haven't heard much from him in the spring at all. He seems like a very good athlete who hasn't mastered a position yet. I'm hoping he can contribute in the return game and also as a kind of utility guy. The thing is that Stoudemire looks to have that on lock. Still having 2 guys like that isn't a bad thing

Doesn't our move to more of a pro set offense reduce the utility of a player like this? I thought the original plan was to have him in the backfield where he could take snaps directly.

Doesn't our move to more of a pro set offense reduce the utility of a player like this? I thought the original plan was to have him in the backfield where he could take snaps directly.

You can run the Wildcat formation in a pro style offense. Not sure if any of the formations we've shown lend themselves to this, but pro style doesn't have to preclude the use of a slash player.

I think Pittman will see the field. With Gray we won't need Pittman to be the guy to mix it up at QB, but he seems like a guy who is too good of an athlete not to be productive somewhere. One thing is for sure, and that is we are stockpiling the talent.

It would be great for Pittman to contribute this season, It sucks to lose a year to a nagging injury when you only have 2 years of eligibility. It would be sad to see him go the same route as Paris Hamilton. So much talent but just not in the cards to be a factor. I am pulling for him to have a great season.

Pittman will have nothing to do with what we do with Gray this year. But if anything, if we have Webber, Gray, on the field at the same time, which means the defense will have to at least think about which player may end up passing on that play. There are a lot of things we could do with those guys on the field at the same time. Not to mention one of the Skyline boys was also a QB in high school. I would spell his name but i am a pathetic speller and don't want to embarrass myself. So you could have 4 guys on the field at once who could throw the ball and throw it with some authority. And it's not even that we will actually do those plays, but we will make that opposing defensive coordinator at least spend some time leading up to that game trying to figure out what to do with his defense in that situation.

Pittman will have nothing to do with what we do with Gray this year. But if anything, if we have Webber, Gray, on the field at the same time, which means the defense will have to at least think about which player may end up passing on that play. There are a lot of things we could do with those guys on the field at the same time. Not to mention one of the Skyline boys was also a QB in high school. I would spell his name but i am a pathetic speller and don't want to embarrass myself. So you could have 4 guys on the field at once who could throw the ball and throw it with some authority. And it's not even that we will actually do those plays, but we will make that opposing defensive coordinator at least spend some time leading up to that game trying to figure out what to do with his defense in that situation.

Troy Stoudermire

Decker can toss the pig a bit too. that would make for 5 guys.

Pittman is versatile, but he was a bridge from Weber to Gray, IMO, though I am certain the coaches were giving him every opportunity to earn a spot. If the guy was struggling with hamstring injuries, there is just not a whole lot that can be done about that.

Since this is his senior year, he will probably be an UDFA next year and sign with someone, either as a WR or QB for the PS. Brew will probably get on the phone and see if someone will give him a shot to at least try out.

Top Bottom