This year's Gophers nonconference football schedule is very soft. How come?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Randy:

"Listen, we're filling schedules every single yearwith who will play us, what fits for us, what the dynamics are for years to come,'' Gophers coach P.J. Fleck said. "We're scheduling games 15 years out right now.''

For the Gophers, the general philosophy of nonconference scheduling has been to have one game against a team from the other Power Five conferences (ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC) and one or two from the Group of Five (American Athletic, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt), or an FCS opponent if needed.

Go Gophers!!

Two “cupcakes” and one P5 team - Pretty much the non conference scheduling formula most schools follow.

Iowa - SD State, IA State, Nevada
Wisconsin - Illinois State, Washington State, NM State
Nebraska - North Dakota, Georgia Southern, Oklahoma
MN - NM State, Western Illinois, Colorado
NW - Duke, Southern Illinois, Miami (OH)

Etc, etc, etc…

Two “cupcakes” and one P5 team - Pretty much the non conference scheduling formula most schools follow.

Iowa - SD State, IA State, Nevada
Wisconsin - Illinois State, Washington State, NM State
Nebraska - North Dakota, Georgia Southern, Oklahoma
MN - NM State, Western Illinois, Colorado
NW - Duke, Southern Illinois, Miami (OH)

Etc, etc, etc…

Perfect context. And it’s not Minnesotas fault that Colorado is down, that was a good team to schedule.

Perfect context. And it’s not Minnesotas fault that Colorado is down, that was a good team to schedule.
100%. With regard to power 5/and especially Big Ten teams, I've always hated the "you haven't beaten anyone" line. Going back years, every power 5 team has had the same opportunity to get their team ready for this year. I hate discounting wins because we've gotten our team to a better place than Colorado, Maryland, Northwestern, etc.

Still fewer non-conference opponents than every SEC team who always plays the bottom of the FCS every year. I have no problem with the Gophers Non-Conference schedule. The Big Ten is tough enough to win in already.

People who want a tough pre-conference schedule likely will get it next season. North Carolina on the road and Louisiana (Lafayette), 34-5 over the last three seasons.

People who want a tough pre-conference schedule likely will get it next season. North Carolina on the road and Louisiana (Lafayette), 34-5 over the last three seasons.
Louisiana did that with, now Florida head coach, Billy Napier. I don't believe that will be sustained. Regarding North Carolina they appear to have a first round quarterback surrounded by a MAC defense. Gene Chizik might have it improved but if it isn't look for UNC to again have 6 losses this year (what they've averaged the last 3 seasons)

Louisiana did that with, now Florida head coach, Billy Napier. I don't believe that will be sustained. Regarding North Carolina they appear to have a first round quarterback surrounded by a MAC defense. Gene Chizik might have it improved but if it isn't look for UNC to again have 6 losses this year (what they've averaged the last 3 seasons)

Certainly all of that could be true but, at this point, it looks like a significantly more difficult non-conference schedule than most we've had in recent years. I actually wish we had that non-conference schedule this season instead of next season when we'll have significant losses of veteran skill players.

The schedule stuff is getting tiresome. Yes we have some cupcakes in our non-conf schedule but we also have a power 5 opponent and it isn't our fault Colorado is struggling. As others have pointed out we are doing essentially the same thing that most power 5 schools do in the non-conf.

We are not a program that should be looking to schedule crazy hard non-conf games. Our goal should 100% be to take on teams we know we can beat or who might be on a similar level as us.

I get that the fan appeal of some of these early season games ins't great. But in a sport with no preseason you need those tuneup games to get ready for the conference games.

I wish the Gophers' noncon schedule included one or more of the nearby schools, i.e. the four Dakota schools, Northern Iowa, Iowa State.

The schedule stuff is getting tiresome. Yes we have some cupcakes in our non-conf schedule but we also have a power 5 opponent and it isn't our fault Colorado is struggling. As others have pointed out we are doing essentially the same thing that most power 5 schools do in the non-conf.

We are not a program that should be looking to schedule crazy hard non-conf games. Our goal should 100% be to take on teams we know we can beat or who might be on a similar level as us.

I get that the fan appeal of some of these early season games ins't great. But in a sport with no preseason you need those tuneup games to get ready for the conference games.

You know which kind of people are every bit as tiresome as chronic complainers: chronic pollyannas. They're more boring to boot. At least the chronic complainers generate a little controversy from time to time.

Same with W. Illini. PJ needs to get his team ready for the BIG and I hope he opens it up right off the first snap. We need to work on our passing game as well as get backup(s) and the 2's ready. I hope that happens.

Colorado was absolutely a good team to schedule a home and away against. Great location for fans that want to travel, and they are usually a solid team. Not our fault that they have recently fallen on hard times...

If people care, then look at where a team like Colorado was when they were scheduled. That's what would tell me how tough the schedule was going to be.

Top Bottom