This week's game will come down to QB play | Gopherhole

Was the headline meant to read, "This week's game will come down to RB play?"

If so, I feel much better about our chances.

PSU will sell out to stop the run. Run blitzes, stack boxes. If we can’t loosen their D up with some high percentage passes, it could be ugly. Unless or D suddenly becomes a turnover machine …
Michigan didn't have to throw much but they were efficient when they went to the air. Looks like most of it was short stuff as their average completion was just 6 yards. Would guess we will try and attack their defense in a very similar way.

Question will be if we can execute at a high enough level to pull it off.

Michigan didn't have to throw much but they were efficient when they went to the air. Looks like most of it was short stuff as their average completion was just 6 yards. Would guess we will try and attack their defense in a very similar way.

Question will be if we can execute at a high enough level to pull it off.
McCarthy was 17-24 for 145 yards, which is enough to keep PSU’s defense honest. If Tanner/Athan could have had a nice little day like that against Illinois—all other things being equal—the game would have played out much differently.

Want to see Redding's speed on the field in a two back set with MO and some passes out of the backfield in the flat or middle screens. Redding is fast and strong, he needs to get the 🏈 in his hand's. That kid will make plays if given the chance. Use him like we used Bucky Irving, he has wheels and is strong in space. Then feed MO the ball. Give them some different looks so they cannot just key on and load the box for MO.

Last edited:

Chase Brown ran the ball 41 times vs MN last week.

If Mo is 100% healthy, I think he needs to have at least 25 carries this week for the Gophers to have a chance. I am NOT saying Mo should get 41 carries, but he has to be the focal point of the offense.

so with all due respect to the OP, I think this game will come down to O-Line play for the Gophers on offense, and on the D-Line and LB's for the defense.

I think who we need to have a big day is going to depend on what PSU's focal point is. If they play us straight up, we need Mo to produce big. If they are going to stack the box and sell out to stop the running game, QB and receives need to be able to make them play. Either way, our game plan needs to adjust based on what PSU does.

McCarthy was 17-24 for 145 yards, which is enough to keep PSU’s defense honest. If Tanner/Athan could have had a nice little day like that against Illinois—all other things being equal—the game would have played out much differently.
That's really interesting as I would've expected his numbers to be more gaudy. I wonder how PSU was playing them on D. You know what MN will get: aggressive man coverage w/ mostly single high safety and defenders flying downhill at the snap. Usually the ways to get teams out of that are:
  • Beat them over the top a couple times in play action to soften up coverage
  • Attack their weakest corner w/ tough routes to defend in man: comebacks, slants, deep outs, etc.
  • Screens and draws
  • QB running
Sadly, I don't think MN has the players to execute any of those consistently, so we'll probably see a lot of what we saw the past two weeks: some nice plays, but mostly inconsistency, failure to convert 3rd and medium/long, lack of big plays in the passing game, etc. Could still be enough to score 17 - 24 which probably gives them a chance to win (I'm not high on the PSU O), but unlikely to be confidence inspiring.

I think who we need to have a big day is going to depend on what PSU's focal point is. If they play us straight up, we need Mo to produce big. If they are going to stack the box and sell out to stop the running game, QB and receives need to be able to make them play. Either way, our game plan needs to adjust based on what PSU does.

The recipe to beat MN is to not only stack the box, but blitz with a numbers advantage. No way PSU plays the Gophs straight up until/if a successful passing game forces them to.

The recipe to beat MN is to not only stack the box, but blitz with a numbers advantage. No way PSU plays the Gophs straight up until/if a successful passing game forces them to.
A good blitzing strategy fills all running gaps and, simply by the numbers, normally insures that a player is unblocked for a pass rush. It also concedes a momentary advantage to receivers to get to an open spot (remember Bateman’s TD in 2019). But that advantage is usually momentary, exploitable if there is mutual recognition by WR/TE/RB and the QB, and a quick, decisive response. Slow response in a collapsing pocket = fail. Have to have a “counterpunch” plan in place and practiced during the week. Tough to ask 11 college age kids to adapt to an unpracticed strategy while they are being pounded in a game. I agree that PSU might follow the IL model in defense. It has great athletes and great cover corners. Will we have a workable passing game response strategy installed?

Top Bottom