This WBB Forum

Lynx

Reaction score
As a fan that attends games, and is invested in rooting for the players AND coaches, is there a way to mute negative posters or delete negatives threads from one’s feed?

There are times I look forward to checking here to find info and share in rooting for everyone. But some (many) days… Sheesh!

For years I’d check in here and read people b!tching about Borton, then years of complaining about Stollings, and now going on years of trash-talking Whalen.

I know people love to win. But good grief, we start four (very talented) freshman and a sophomore and to expect much more than this developmental season seems delusional to me. Not to mention throw in some injuries.

Then there’s the year after year speculation on transfers. I know on the UConn board transfer speculation is prohibited and will be removed and can get a poster suspended / banned. Is that possible to implement here?

Obviously, we’d all love more wins this season but even on years we’re in the post season I’ll see people complain we didn’t go further. I’ve legit wondered if there are a bunch of rival troll fans on here or just some generally miserable people that probably would be happier if they stopped paying attention to this team. And frankly, I’d be happy if they stopped too.

So after countless years or reading rants about coaches and players I need this own vent session to get these thoughts off. 🤣 I really appreciate those of you that offer interesting bits of info and insights. I love cheering on this program and I really am optimistic (as hard as some posters here try to diminish it) in this group’s potential. ✌️

Suspending posters who post about players transferring before they announce that they are would be a good one to implement in all forums on GH.

Then there’s the year after year speculation on transfers. I know on the UConn board transfer speculation is prohibited and will be removed and can get a poster suspended / banned. Is that possible to implement here?

Agree. I have read comments by Geno about the transfer portal. He is strongly against it because it can lead to bad feelings, tampering, questionable payments, and other things. Apparently, his answer to the transfer portal is to recruit internationally. He has 6 international players on his team this year. I also think it is detrimental to the young players to speculate who is going to leave. Even worse yet are discussion about who we want back and who we don't.

As a fan that attends games, and is invested in rooting for the players AND coaches, is there a way to mute negative posters or delete negatives threads from one’s feed?

There are times I look forward to checking here to find info and share in rooting for everyone. But some (many) days… Sheesh!

For years I’d check in here and read people b!tching about Borton, then years of complaining about Stollings, and now going on years of trash-talking Whalen.

I know people love to win. But good grief, we start four (very talented) freshman and a sophomore and to expect much more than this developmental season seems delusional to me. Not to mention throw in some injuries.

Obviously, we’d all love more wins this season but even on years we’re in the post season I’ll see people complain we didn’t go further. I’ve legit wondered if there are a bunch of rival troll fans on here or just some generally miserable people that probably would be happier if they stopped paying attention to this team. And frankly, I’d be happy if they stopped too.

So after countless years or reading rants about coaches and players I need this own vent session to get these thoughts off. 🤣 I really appreciate those of you that offer interesting bits of info and insights. I love cheering on this program and I really am optimistic (as hard as some posters here try to diminish it) in this group’s potential. ✌️
Firstly, I'm one of the people that started a 'negative' thread, although I don't really think it was negative. I asked a question that I still have: When does the seat become hot? Don't know the answer to that myself, so I'm curious.

Secondly, I'm kind of tired about this argument (or its variation) from several people:

The reason this is true this year, is because Coach Whalen can't seem to keep anyone that can play at this level for more than two years. Or, she can't bring in anyone from the Portal that can beat these young people out.

I was very excited when they hired her and then she scored a big get: Sarah Scalia. I never thought she would lose Scalia, ever. Sarah Scalia loved Coach Whalen. When she transferred, it was the first time I seriously wondered about the question I asked above and started a thread about. That was the first big chink in the armor for me. I had questions about her coaching, but hiring a never coach, you have to be patient, but if she is losing people all of the time, it has to be her connection or people skills and that is concerning to me.

As for your original question, there is a ton of threads that I just ignore. You know you don't have to read them, right?

My very meaningless two cents.

I've been reading and posting on this board for many years. I have always found it curious that when our team's are not doing well, the naysayers will come out of the woodwork. They never have a thing to say when the team is doing well, but when the team is struggling they are front and center.

And then there's the case of the poster who continually opines that this current Gopher team is a sure bet to be a top 25 team and an NCAA tourney team next year. Then they do a complete 180, call the team 'trash', disappear from the board for a few weeks, and then return with long, rambling diatribes about how poor the coaching is.

Me, I'm still optimistic about this group of players and staff, although it's been difficult to remain optimistic. As for the players, I've never seen a group of players who consistently have so many turnovers, whether they are young or not. That's not on the coaching. I take some comfort in seeing how much Rose has improved from her freshman to her sophomore year and am hoping that some of the freshman will be able to make the same strides. As for the coaching, Whalen's record is currently under .500. That's not acceptable for any BIG coach when you factor in the non-conference schedule. If this group and this staff can hang together and get better, they might have a chance to change that. But they'll have to start showing some improvement soon, even this year, as I'm seeing nothing yet that indicates they'll be able to get to the top half of the conference standings next year.

Enough of my rambling. Sorry.

I've been reading and posting on this board for many years. I have always found it curious that when our team's are not doing well, the naysayers will come out of the woodwork. They never have a thing to say when the team is doing well, but when the team is struggling they are front and center.

And then there's the case of the poster who continually opines that this current Gopher team is a sure bet to be a top 25 team and an NCAA tourney team next year. Then they do a complete 180, call the team 'trash', disappear from the board for a few weeks, and then return with long, rambling diatribes about how poor the coaching is.

Me, I'm still optimistic about this group of players and staff, although it's been difficult to remain optimistic. As for the players, I've never seen a group of players who consistently have so many turnovers, whether they are young or not. That's not on the coaching. I take some comfort in seeing how much Rose has improved from her freshman to her sophomore year and am hoping that some of the freshman will be able to make the same strides. As for the coaching, Whalen's record is currently under .500. That's not acceptable for any BIG coach when you factor in the non-conference schedule. If this group and this staff can hang together and get better, they might have a chance to change that. But they'll have to start showing some improvement soon, even this year, as I'm seeing nothing yet that indicates they'll be able to get to the top half of the conference standings next year.

Enough of my rambling. Sorry.
You have to keep things in perspective, with only Rose returning nobody would of bet more than 4 wins in conf play. This group will be better next year because of experience, but even to get to middle of the pack in this league will be a stretch. To get in the top half you are up against elite coaches and assistants that won't happen next year.
The best we could of hoped for was to overachieve and at times they have but other times look like freshman.
Whalen's main job right now is to keep spirits high.

We are in a Catch-22 with women's basketball and many Gopher sports. The programs are so poor that you can't get impact players to come and you can't get good without impact players.

Gopher women's basketball has only had 28 winning seasons in 50 years and no conference titles, and only 10 NCAA appearances, and 3 AIAW. Yet, we carry on like we are an elite program, everyone is knocking at our door, and we should be the top tier.

We have a young team with promising players but it is going to take a lot more time to reach the level that everyone thinks we should be at. The players will get better with experience and maturity, but it not at the pace we would like.

We can't attract a Big Time coach because they don't need money that badly, we can't/won't pay them what the market demands, and they don't need the challenge. The last I heard, Super Woman, Jesus, and Geno are not available.

Last edited:

We are in a Catch-22 with women's basketball and many Gopher sports. The programs are so poor that you can't get impact players to come and you can't get good without impact players.

Gopher women's basketball has only had 28 winning seasons in 50 years and no conference titles, and only 10 NCAA appearances, and 3 AIAW. Yet, we carry on like we are an elite program, everyone is knocking at our door, and we should be the top tier.

We have a young team with promising players but it is going to take a lot more time to reach the level that everyone thinks we should be at. The players will get better with experience and maturity, but it not at the pace we would like.

We can't attract a Big Time coach because they don't need money that badly, we can't/won't pay them what the market demands, and they don't need the challenge. The last I heard, Super Woman, Jesus, and Geno are not available.
Not sure what the standard is for "big time coach." I'd agree that we won't be able to lure Dawn Staley here. But the coaches we have hired in the last couple decades have been better than this. Whalen's three predecessors were all in the second round of the NCAA within their first four years. We haven't been that close and are moving the wrong direction.

That was the risk vs reward of hiring Whalen. Yes she was green as a coach, but she loves MN. If she succeeded, she'd never leave MN and we would have a great program that would last several decades. Whereas any other coach we hire, as good as they might be, will jump to a new school after the first moment of success here. Resulting in a cycling of coaches every 3-4 years as they build, win a little and then leave.

That was the risk vs reward of hiring Whalen. Yes she was green as a coach, but she loves MN. If she succeeded, she'd never leave MN and we would have a great program that would last several decades. Whereas any other coach we hire, as good as they might be, will jump to a new school after the first moment of success here. Resulting in a cycling of coaches every 3-4 years as they build, win a little and then leave.
In my opinion, that’s the heart of the matter and the biggest reason for staying the course for now.

The same goes for Ben. Local kid, that would probably not leave once he achieved success. In a perfect world, Lindsay and Ben have successful programs for the next 20-30 years and retire as our all-time winningest coaches. (A guy can dream, can't he?)

Top Bottom