This team finally has some weapons a comparison 2007-2009

Ole

Reaction score
Looking at Syracuse, the situation seems very similar to our season coming in to 2007, so I thought I'd take a look at who we had playing then and now, a comparison of weapons and options for O, and to put it all in perspective.

QB- 07 Weber RsFR/Mortenson JR
QB- 09 Weber RsJr/Gray Fr

Have to love a battle tested veteran and a unique mobile backup vs a Fr and a classic journeyman backup edge 09 by far

HB- 07 Pinnix(dinged up)Sr/Thomas(ACL)So/Bennett Fr
HB-09 Bennett RsSo/Eskridge So/Whaley RsFr

Pinnix could have made a difference in 07, but was dinged all year, Thomas showed speed but got hurt, Bennett now SHOULD be an improvement over himself then depending on how he comes back, Eskridge and Whaley are better options than Bennett was as a True freshman, not to mention the scheme changes edge 09, especially depthwise

FB-07 Valentine Sr
FB-09 Hoese Jr

Valentine was a man without a position in 07, but palyed hard when he got a chance, Hoese needs to put in a full season, but his bowl game was impressive
I'm going with Valentine here, but that's because Hoese has an Incomplete until he shows us a few games

WR-07 Decker So/Wheelwright Sr/Spry Fr/Herndon Fr
WR-09 Decker Sr/Green So/Carpenter Jr/Stoudemire So

Wheelwright finally had an impact year in 07 and was a proven commodity, Decker broke out big time and the spread O helped these two put up some good numbers, but depth/talent was an issue after these two. Add Allen and Mcknight and even Kuznia to the list for 09 and we have a bevy of options for receivers that should be a huge upgrade for Weber/Gray over the 07 crew

TE-07 Simmons(dinged up)Jr/Nick Tow Arnett RsSo
TE-09 Nick TA RsSr/McGarry Jr/Lair Jr/Hageman Fr(not sure who will be #2 TE yet)

Simmons didn't have an encore of the 06 bowl game due to injuries, Nick TA earned a scholarship in his replacement. No reason TA can't be even better this year, he was last year and the guys behind him should at least provide depth and viable options in case he goes down

OT-07 Shidell Sr/Meinke So/Alford RsFr/Degeest Jr
OT-09 Stommes RsSr/Wills Jr/Orton RsSo/Alford RsJr

OG-07 Ruckdashel RsSo/Tavale RsSo/ Jeff TA RsSo/Burris RsFr
OG-09 Carufel Jr/Bunders RsSo/Davis RsSo/Burris RsJr

OC-07 Brinkhaus Sr
OC-09 Jeff TA RsSr

This group was better than the 08 crew, but not by much, Senior leadership by Shidell and Brinkhaus helped, but you have to like the 09 options of talent and depth of battle tested guys
over the 07 crew. I have to think that in two years we will have the most experienced Oline in the country our group of RsSo this year will provide depth for the next three seasons

Overall look at the talent level now vs then, granted a few positions need proven commodities, but you can't overlook the depth of potential playmakers vs where we came from.

Top Bottom