This sounds crazy, but

Goldteam

Banned
Reaction score
If we go 4 months without sports(let's say)............and then the NFL, etc. comes back!

All fans should stay away for 12 months and not watch, or go to a game. You are in the NO sports habit.

The teams would be begging us to come back. Tickets would go back to 10 bucks, salaries would be cut and cut and cut and cut.

It would be a thing of beauty!

Of course, I'm talking out of my ass, because I don't know if I could do it.

I am finding out though, that I can live without sports.

I think you just described the macro look at what the entire economy could look like if this takes more than two or three weeks to get the engine started again. More so than not wanting to attend sporting events, the micro economics of many families may be to not spend on luxuries such as sporting events, dining out, etc.... I believe America and much of the world is starting to understand the difference between want and need.

If we go 4 months without sports(let's say)............and then the NFL, etc. comes back!

All fans should stay away for 12 months and not watch, or go to a game. You are in the NO sports habit.

The teams would be begging us to come back. Tickets would go back to 10 bucks, salaries would be cut and cut and cut and cut.

It would be a thing of beauty!

Of course, I'm talking out of my ass, because I don't know if I could do it.

I am finding out though, that I can live without sports.
I don't know about you, but I sure wouldn't call what I'm doing right now living ?

Viking fans wouldn't do that. They shelled out big bucks for their license fees. Remember those are one time fees where as Gopher fans pay a fee every year for as long as you have them. So in essence, Gopher fans will end up paying more than Viking fans in the long run as I understand it.

I agree though, the whole salary situation is completely out of whack in all professional sports with the exception of woman's basketball.

I don't know about you, but I sure wouldn't call what I'm doing right now living ?
I walked the dogs in the morning, went to work, came home, we all had supper together and then we all walked the dogs again. 3 miles. Now we are going to sit down and watch a movie. No evening meetings, no sports practice, no bowling league, no nothing. I kind of like it.

I get it that I have a job that I have to keep working every day and I am fortunate.

You don’t have to. A number of horse tracks are running. Get a TVG account, deposit some $, and enjoy the sport of kings.
PA? I didn't know you had an account here! Whatcha hearing about Harris? Keeping or trading? ;)

Nobody is talking about the Astro’s cheatin’ anymore but man this is an extreme fix.
IDK lots of contemplation regarding the best course to chart life long term going on in my head right now.
Sports has been a huge part of my life. I cherish the memories. I hurt for the high school and college coaches and players missing their seasons or not finishing them.

I do know we can’t continue what we are presently doing much longer. The economy is a disaster. Some businesses already won’t reopen. Couple more weeks we all get the opportunity to start life over.

Nobody is talking about the Astro’s cheatin’ anymore but man this is an extreme fix.
IDK lots of contemplation regarding the best course to chart life long term going on in my head right now.
Sports has been a huge part of my life. I cherish the memories. I hurt for the high school and college coaches and players missing their seasons or not finishing them.

I do know we can’t continue what we are presently doing much longer. The economy is a disaster. Some businesses already won’t reopen. Couple more weeks we all get the opportunity to start life over.
Once the season gets going, some reporter will bring up the Astro's cheating. Many people upset about it and rightfully so.

Time to let the young'uns go about their business and let the OK Boomers fend for themselves...

This is actually a strategy that I approve as a younger geezer so that my kids actually have a future...

BTW...stay off my lawn!

Honestly the economy will be very different at the end of this.
Housing market it going to be different (I don’t think it’ll go full 08-09 but it definitely will be a better buyers market than the last two summers have been).
Zero interest rates will make auto market different.
Some large companies might not survive this and may cause their regional economies to be much harder hit.

we might see .80 gasoline in April due to decreased demand at the same time the Saudi/Russia price war is happening. This will cause countries reliant on oil revenue to have social upheaval.

Sorry I ranted. We are going to buy a larger allotment of gopher tickets this year.
RTB

Wait. Stay away from sports to push down salaries? What? Are you really sincere about wanting to live in this world? Lets just get rid of all entertainment industries because they cost money.

This post may motivate me to get season tickets. Jesus christ.

If anything is going to push down salaries, it will be a change in the sports revenue structure when conventional cable t-v bites the dust and everyone moves to streaming video.

at some point, all of the pro sports leagues and NCAA will re-negotiate their TV deals to reflect the change from cable to streaming. this will also impact ad rates, which have been based on the number of cable subscribers.

There will still be sports on TV, but the ESPN's of the world may not be able to shell out the same money for rights fees when their revenue streams have changed.

this may be the high-water mark right now for TV money in sports. It will still be there, but probably in lesser amounts.

revenue from fans in stands is dwarfed by revenue from TV. If TV revenue drops, there will be an impact.

For most folks this whole thing is a day late dollar short even if they really feel this way. Most existing season ticket holders have already renewed their tickets (I believe Vikes are similar schedule to Gophers for renewal). Sure, a handful of people who would have bought season tickets for the first time won't, but that will be a drop in the bucket. Unless they offer refunds (I actually laughed out loud when I typed that). And with the vast majority of income coming from TV (with contracts already set), it probably wouldn't change anything.

Did you see teams radically drop ticket prices after 2008?

You don’t have to. A number of horse tracks are running. Get a TVG account, deposit some $, and enjoy the sport of kings.
Can you get a TVG account in Minnesota? I know TwinSpires.com accommodates us those degenerates.

Can you get a TVG account in Minnesota? I know TwinSpires.com accommodates us those degenerates.
Yes. I have had one for about a year now. Not sure when MN started allowing it as when I first tried a while back it wasn't allowed. They run some decent promos too. I like the experience quite a bit.

Wait. Stay away from sports to push down salaries? What? Are you really sincere about wanting to live in this world? Lets just get rid of all entertainment industries because they cost money.

This post may motivate me to get season tickets. Jesus christ.

Yes!

I feel like the fan gets boned at every turn in major sports.

Well, the boning would be over. We dictate to them, not them to us.

I don't know. I've always liked having the power!

In this environment of people losing jobs, struggling to make ends meet, etc. It just feels like they should take a back seat for awhile.

Yes. I have had one for about a year now. Not sure when MN started allowing it as when I first tried a while back it wasn't allowed. They run some decent promos too. I like the experience quite a bit.
Thanks. I was not aware that TVG is open for Minnesotans. Been with TwinSpires for as long as I can remember, overall happy with them but hate when they feel the need to update the interface for the sake of updating the interface. Regardless, it works well on both desktop and iPhone, no problems there.
We cut the cord so I don't get to watch TVG anymore. I miss the analysis, and also those Minnesota boys and their 50/50 accuracy.;)

Anyway, been reading some articles that if the virus storms through the jockey colony, we can say goodbye to horse racing too.

Top Bottom